Top 3 anime

Aplha 1-1

Spaceman
Hey gettin kinda bored so i was wondering.....wat would you peaple say to be your top 3 personal anime movies/series? Mine are:
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Macross
3. Akira

1. Speed Racer
2. Robotech (Macross, for all you purists)
3. Third place is a tie between Voltron and Ronin Warriors.

Those ain't Anime, but I'll let it slide.

Anime

1: Gundam
2: Macross
3: Bubblegum Crisis

Anime Ja Nai (This ain't Anime)

1: Wing Commander Academy
2: Futurama
3: Clerks: The TV Show.

In response to an earlier post, Robotech isn't just Macross but is rather a collaboration and reinvention (and in some views a bastardization) of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada.

Also, Voltron is a collaboration and reinvention (and definitely a castration) of Hundred Beast King Golion and Armored Squadron Dairugger-XV.

In all fairness, if American animation isn't being considered anime (which is really an English word anyway), then American animation collaboration projects shouldn't be considered anime either.

In any case, off the top of my head, my favorite anime series and/or sagas would have to be
1. Macross (SDF: Macross through Macross Zero)
2. Sentou Yousei Yukikaze
3. Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (translated and released as Ronin Warriors stateside, but unfortunately without the OVAs)

I think you're seeing people mention "American" animation because some of us are really, really sick and tired of anime.

In no set order:

Ranma 1/2
Record of Lodoss War (First part, particularly)
Kenshin (Before they put it on Cartoon Network...I tend to lose my luster for shows once they're on there.)

In response to an earlier post, Robotech isn't just Macross but is rather a collaboration and reinvention

Yes I know. Viva la Robotech! Though I hate the other two series anyway and only really like the Macross part. The American "castration" shows might be scoffed at by real anime fans but they're the shows I grew up with alongside the American cartoons.

anime (which is really an English word anyway)

The Japanese stole the word from the French didn't they? I could be wrong.

I'm more tired of American anime fans than I am of anime itself.

I agree. A lot of anime fans are a lot crazier about anime than most sci-fi and comic book fans are crazy about their respective medium combined.

I've tried watching popular anime, including Cowboy Bebop which was decent (I really liked the Jazzy feeling atmosphere, being both a Jazz musician and and fan of Jazz music), Akira which was fun but just too plain weird, and quite a few other shows and movies that anime fans consider "masterpieces" (not voicing my opinion on Princess Mononoke in fear of being stoned to death) but really most of them are simply third rate plots with fancy, albeit mass produced, animation. They wouldn't cut it if they were live action and they didn't have such a fan base behind them in my opinion.

Not trying to start a flame war, though I guess I'm sounding a little too whiney and complainy again.

I can't stand the extreme anime freaks; a bunch of cosplaying morons with their pocky sticks and fansubs :(

Back