This thread is about guns, do not start politiking!

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
I've recently come into posession of the rifle that is the whole reason for getting my license in the first place...

the Mosin Dragoon.

Predecessor to the 91/30 Mosin Nagant which was produced first in 1930. Dragoons, Kossacks, and 1891s being produced previously to that.

Unfortunately finding a Dragoon had become a very tedious assignment, more so then one would hope or expect, why?

Well for one, they look almost exactly like thier successor, the 91/30. The differences are that the Dragoon never had a cylindrical reciever, just a hex one, the Arsenal markings on the breach, bolt and stock are somewhat different, the barrel is an inch or two longer on the dragoon, and if you can find an unmodified one, the sights should be different. Sadly, mine has the modified metric sights, which I am trying to replace. Early 91/30s also had the Hex recievers as well, so it comes down to finding a Mosin that is pre-1930 and has the correct lettering on the breach.

It took some time, but there was a very nice store with a large selection of rifles just north of my town with several Hex mosins. A quick poke through found me staring at the breach of a Izhevsk arsenal 1928 Mosin... BINGO!

The two big arsenals for Mosins were Tula and Izhevsk. The larger being Izhevsk. Tula dating after 1942 are somewhat hard to find because of the destruction of the Arsenal in Tula when the Germans invaded.

Other differences:
Mosin 1891: Is about 6 inches longer then it's counterparts, Hex recievers only, and most have no upper heat guard.

Kossack: Looks identical to Dragoon, except it has a KA3 stamped on the reciever.

Unlike the Dragoon, the 91/30 is among the easiest rifle to find. Almost every gun store has like 3 on consignment for like $100. Which has it's ups and downs...

Pros: The Mosin Nagant 91/30 is an awesome, deadly accurate rifle which I've bullseye'd at 100 yards without a scope. $100 for a piece this reliable, sturdy and well-made is unheard of for almost any other rifle. This is the type of gun you can beat on for years and it will still shoot. It also enabled me to find a dragoon for dirt cheap because the store owner did not know what he had :p

Cons: Good luck selling a Dragoon for it's actual value. Most stores will just look at it and say, "It's a 91/30, $100" and not listen to reason... thus the only place you can expect a reasonable price is on a collectors/online auction.

I have a little tradition I like to perform with some of the guys I go shooting with. We all bring our Mosins out in the dead of Winter when there is feet of snow on the ground, decked out in old army jackets, and re-enact Russian winter warfare. I love being out there where the only source of heat you get is the barrel of your own rifle, you're covered in snow listening to the sound of gun fire, it's become a real tradition for us. I highly recommend it for any Russian history/ war history buffs.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 114
  • n41503654_32230849_1630.jpg
    n41503654_32230849_1630.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 122
Sorry, I will have to start politicking, as I'm a card-carrying member of the Don't Post Off-Topic Threads to the General Wing Commander Chat Forum party.

I could give some illumination on using the FN-FAL 0.300 (7.62mm) with a 20 round mag. ~~~

My brother has a 91/30 and my dad has got an M44. They're not to bad, but I prefer my SMLE because the bolts on the Mosins are so damn tight in their action I don't like how hard it is to cock them. The bolt on my SMLE No.4 Mk.1 flips up and slides back smooth as silk.
Is the Dragoon's bolt as tight the 91\30 and M44?

My next relic gun, if I can find one at an affordable price and in good enough condition, will probably be an SVT 40. Then I will be better motivated to keep 7.62x54R ammo on hand.:)

My brother has a 91/30 and my dad has got an M44. They're not to bad, but I prefer my SMLE because the bolts on the Mosins are so damn tight in their action I don't like how hard it is to cock them. The bolt on my SMLE No.4 Mk.1 flips up and slides back smooth as silk.
Is the Dragoon's bolt as tight the 91\30 and M44?

My next relic gun, if I can find one at an affordable price and in good enough condition, will probably be an SVT 40. Then I will be better motivated to keep 7.62x54R ammo on hand.:)

Yeah pretty much, the Dragoon is the direct predecessor. The only real difference is a slight barrel length and markings. I love Mosins and have spent years studying the history on them, working on/modifying them, and shooting a bunch of different ones including

Model 1891 rifle
1895 Nagat Pistol (7 shot revolver)
Remington Mosin1891 sport
Mosin Dragoon
Mosin Cossack
Mosin 91/30 Hex.
Mosin 91/30 Cyl.
Model M38 Carbine
model M44 Carbine
... that M44 is a cannon. It's less then 2/3s the size of my other rifles, but makes a boom as loud as thunder. The blast for it lights up the entire range, even in broad daylight, the concussion can be felt from about 10 feet away. Every time I took it to the range, i spent the night with ice on my shoulder like, "Why the hell do I do this to myself?" The kickback is awful!

My collection basically consists of a Bolt Action from all the major players in WW2:
Enfield 1 Mk III: British
Mosin Dragoon: Russia
Type 99 Arisaka: Japan
K98 Mauser: Germany
The guns I need to complete my collection are as follows:
Springfield 1903: USA
MAS38: France
Steryr: Austria

The other pride and joy of my collection is my old Dutch Beaumont model 1875. One of the first bolt actions ever made. It's an old black powder rifle and it's in near perfect condition...

That said, the Ammo for it 11mm... extremely rare as they stopped making it years ago. I was able to get some custom made rounds... but it was a box of 20 rounds for $75. Needless to say, it sees extremely limited use.:D

That said, the Ammo for it 11mm... extremely rare as they stopped making it years ago. I was able to get some custom made rounds... but it was a box of 20 rounds for $75. Needless to say, it sees extremely limited use.:D

$75 for a box of ammo, while steep, doesn't seem too bad for custom work. I looked into getting .416 Rigby ammo and it ran around $120 for a box of 20.

Anyway, GamesFuhrer, I've heard the Garand can be finicky even when properly maintained. If I had enough for one I would probably go after a PS90 or TDI Kriss instead. Sure they're not very historical, yet, but I like the designs.

$75 for a box of ammo, while steep, doesn't seem too bad for custom work. I looked into getting .416 Rigby ammo and it ran around $120 for a box of 20.

Anyway, GamesFuhrer, I've heard the Garand can be finicky even when properly maintained. If I had enough for one I would probably go after a PS90 or TDI Kriss instead. Sure they're not very historical, yet, but I like the designs.

Yeah they do jam up rather easily. It's all about timing with them. They weren't really designed for rapid firing. I count 2 before firing a second round and mine doesn't jam up. Also, do not use corrosive and/or old ammo, that will do the damage.

Yeah they do jam up rather easily. It's all about timing with them. They weren't really designed for rapid firing. I count 2 before firing a second round and mine doesn't jam up. Also, do not use corrosive and/or old ammo, that will do the damage.

I've never had issues related to the rate of fire, but I do notice problems depending on the ammo I use. Old/cheap ammo is terrible in an M1, but high quality shots I can just do whatever I want. Since it's one of the first gas operated designs it's probably too depended on the gun powder burning just so to get the right pressure on the piston.

Also, some of the parts are exceptionally fragile. I somehow ended up with a very tiny bend in my M1's op rod and the thing was just plain unreliable. Since then I've been wanting something more modern so when I destroy a part I'm not paying $100+ for a replacement just because nobody manufactures them.

I've never had issues related to the rate of fire, but I do notice problems depending on the ammo I use. Old/cheap ammo is terrible in an M1, but high quality shots I can just do whatever I want. Since it's one of the first gas operated designs it's probably too depended on the gun powder burning just so to get the right pressure on the piston.

Also, some of the parts are exceptionally fragile. I somehow ended up with a very tiny bend in my M1's op rod and the thing was just plain unreliable. Since then I've been wanting something more modern so when I destroy a part I'm not paying $100+ for a replacement just because nobody manufactures them.

Well to each his own. I for one love the old rifles. I mean it's finnicky, thats something they had to deal with back then. Example:

P.08 Luger: Only takes specific 9mm ammo. It literally jams up if you use anything else. So you need to do your research before shooting it.

1895 Nagant: Reloading is painstakingly slow. You have to manually eject rounds from the cylinder. Imagine being on the field with that.

Broomhandle: Literally have to jam the rounds in from a stripper slip on the breach.

I LOVE these types of things. It's character from my standpoint.

I think there was a misunderstanding there. The only weapon I own is the M1. I take it out to shoot whenever time and money allows. However I would someday like to have a plinking gun. You know, something to take along for more frequent shooting. After all I find target shooting therapeutic for me. Some people do tai chi, I do plinking.

I think there was a misunderstanding there. The only weapon I own is the M1. I take it out to shoot whenever time and money allows. However I would someday like to have a plinking gun. You know, something to take along for more frequent shooting. After all I find target shooting therapeutic for me. Some people do tai chi, I do plinking.

I bought a Beretta U22 Neos pistol for about $200, used. It's the best plinking gun I've ever shot. It's definitely worth the money because reliable and easy to strip and clean. Although, if you buy one brand new be aware that it will probably have a tendency to jam alot. Mine did, but after the first stripping the problem practically vanished. Now the only jams I've run into are when I go through a lot of shots in one trip, usually 1,000 rounds in 24 hours.

Also, for price and general accuracy and reliability you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Lots of mods and addons available for it.

I guess I'm sort of similar. I used to work as a direct care worker which could be really draining. A few years back I was going through a really rough patch between domestic and financial issues so whenever I got really pissed off or stressed, I'd go to the range with my prized pair of Springfield Armory 1911s, set up a wooden post about 100 yards out, slam the initial clip into both guns and start blasting away. I only did this if no one else was there... I had a tendancy to start screaming as I drained the two 10 round clips of 45s.:D Still, one gun in each hand just rapid firing a clip was really good at getting the tension out.

When things finally turned around for me, I sold them. Didn't want/need them anymore.

Other Guns in my posession:

0411001843.jpg

My 1937 VOPO luger. Accurate, but extremely finnicky.

1018091809.jpg

My 1895 Nagant... 7 shot pistol that is not very accurate at all. But it's a mint condition 1932 Tula Arsenal.

1018091811.jpg

This is not a replica, this is a Remington 1861 Navy model Old Army. Black powder 6 shot.

1018091808.jpg

ALL of my rifles!

We need to set you up with a new digital camera that has a flash. You should try taking them outdoors to take photos.

Tannerite and full oxygen bottles are great therapy too. :D
But you do need a high powered rifle for those.

Shooting soothes me too. It doesn't incite me to violence. I'm not going to lie though, I do like being armed and able to defend myself, my family, and my property.

Back