This game is still alive but EA wants to kill it

Shipgate said:
I'm a little confused, cause here you say how complex of a game Wing Commander is.

I said it would be too complex (with all it's background) for those gamers that play "Moorhuhn".
That's a very simple game here in Germany.
You have nothing to do than moving the cursor to the face of a chicken und pressing the left button to kill'em.
This is SO simple and stupid and boring.

Shipgate said:
I think as far as gameplay is concerned, Wing Commander is just as sophisticated as most games I see today. Besides the interaction you do on base, there are also tons of different options for in the cockpit and several tactics for fighting and completing missions.

That's okay and I have to repeat, that I never wanted the "old" parts to be taken out.
But to be a success in the gaming-world of today, new elements of gameplay are absolutely necessary.
Flying from waypoint to waypoint, killing some enemies wouldn't make a really succesfull games.
I think, a new WC must give the player some sort of "freedom".

AD said:
How is this any different than the Gazillions of First-person-shooters on the market?

We don't talk about shooters, we talk about Wing Commander ;)
There are only two shooters, I liked within the last two years:
Half Life 2 and Doom 3.

Half Life 2 because of its physics-enginge and depth, Doom 3 for it's atmosphere and graphics.

Tell me, how could a new WC have a graphic with this "WOW!"-effect, that my parents hatet from WC2 on, cause it made them buy new hardware for me. :D
Modern PC-systems would have no problems with a dark background (space) und some ships.

As for FMV, I think pre-rendered polygons work really well for cutscenes these days. Case in point: the Metal Gear Solid series. That kind of tactic would translate into WC very well, IMO and save money on sets, costumes, ect. Just hire a proficient voice cast.

Mr.Evil said:
Tell me, how could a new WC have a graphic with this "WOW!"-effect, that my parents hatet from WC2 on, cause it made them buy new hardware for me. :D
Modern PC-systems would have no problems with a dark background (space) und some ships.

False. The X franchise has done a good job of requiring an up-to-date system to render its pretty bases, asteroids, and warfleets. Just because there are no textured hallways in space doesn't mean it can't possibly push modern rendering.

How can a game have modern 'wow' from todays graphics? Look at the work thats been done on Pioneer. That's how. While myself, Howard and Joel are all on a break right now due to real life getting in the way, its still on the table. It's not an easy prospect, and working on Pioneer has given me a lot of insight into why EA would want to wait and not just jump in.

Ultimately my take on a new WC game would be one that goes back to the orignal WC games. With the full all around Cockpits, only it would incorporate todays modern flight sim setup where the hat on the joystick controls your head movement and all that. I wouldn't say add any new kinds of gameplay elements other than whats already there. A WC RTS to me wouldn't at all feel right. WC is all about the flight, now I know there was Armada which is a fun and great game, but ultimately it still boiled down to the fighter combat, at least I think so. Space sims just need to get back to their roots. Give back that feeling of full immersion that has been lost wth lifeless HUDs and insane amounts of freedom that isn't really freedom because everything is scripted. Privateer was great because to play the game you didn't have to do the story first. You could go anywhere, and my fondest memory...the first time I launched out of the base in Privateer I got killed. That sense of vulnerability is gone now. Bah, anyway, i'm rambling so i'll stop now.

I do see a new WC game, I definately agree with LOAF. The time isn't right yet, there has to be a catalyst first that demonstrates the feasability of resurecting one of the greatest franchises in the only way possible, one that pushes the envelope of computer hardware.

In a strange sense, the lack of a Wing Commander game shows how supportive EA may be of it. Think of all the half-assed sequels and disappointments we get when a product is shoved out, half-assed. The market isn't flight sim friendly, so why should EA risk a black mark in sales against a classic, beloved gaming series?

Considering the previous efforts put into the series, I have no doubt that EA would pull out all the stops to make another WC game - but only when the time is right.

LeHah said:
In a strange sense, the lack of a Wing Commander game shows how supportive EA may be of it. Think of all the half-assed sequels and disappointments we get when a product is shoved out, half-assed. The market isn't flight sim friendly, so why should EA risk a black mark in sales against a classic, beloved gaming series?

Considering the previous efforts put into the series, I have no doubt that EA would pull out all the stops to make another WC game - but only when the time is right.
Yes, this is exactly why I think there'll be another WC, EA hasn't pushed out a half-ass sequel to take advantage of the player base. Whether the right time is 5 years from now or 20, I'm sure they'll make it. :)

Mr.Evil said:
I said it would be too complex (with all it's background) for those gamers that play "Moorhuhn".
That's a very simple game here in Germany.
You have nothing to do than moving the cursor to the face of a chicken und pressing the left button to kill'em.
This is SO simple and stupid and boring.

A lot of people bring this up too, but it's not like old Wing Commander fans suddenly became simple chicken hunters. There's still millions of people who would love a full-scale Wing Commander game, and if they can come up with something different from the old model that appeals to both WC fans and newer casual players, that's even better.

Mr.Evil said:

You should look at more modern space sims. They have substantially more detailed backgrounds, intricate ships and complex stuff going on in space these days. And there's plenty of room to expand. The art style might be even more important though. The bold and colorful ships of the WC1/2 era are some of the most memorable in the entire series despite being simple low res sprites.

Wing Commander can simply never die. Someone will always carry it on, if only in their hearts.

But, let's take a look at the money they've made. WC3, on a 4 million dollar budget, went beyond platinum. I believe the last figure I heard (though i'm not sure how exact it was) was 2.2 million copies sold.

Now, at 50 American bucks a pop, that's 110 million dollars in its lifespan. Just one game, mind you. On a 4 million dollar budget, that's a massive financial success (You can say anything that breaks a hundred mill is successful, but not always - True Lies made 130 million dollars at the box office, on a 120 million dollar budget. Not very successful at all, really).

With a success like that, how can you let it lie? You truely can't. That's why they made WC's 4 and 5. Personally, I thought 5 sucked, but that's beside the point. EA has earned massive amounts of capital through the varying Wing Commander games, and really can't afford to let them lay. But, in order to appease fans, they've got to do it right. That's the only way it will make them their money; the fans won't buy a crappy game. Given the ending of 5, how do you best proceed with the series?

You see, the question should not be "Will Wing Commander come back?"; the question should be "How will Wing Commander come back?" Let's try asking this question, and see what we come up with. We know that EA will sooner or later proceed with a new Privateer or Wing Commander game, but just what are they going to do with it?

Bandit LOAF said:
What a brat. You were proved wrong *specifically* about this subject in another thread, so you crawled away with your tail between your legs here to bring it up again. I certainly hope you end up banned -- we don't need plain old defeatism here and we certainly don't need I'm-more-special-than-the-cause defeatism.

Now hear this, those that find such things adorable: this boy is a troll, of the *most* pure variety. He is here to tell you that your hopes and your dreams are wrong. He is here to make you unhappy because he will find pleasure in doing so. The basis upon which he says these things is *simply* that he doesn't like the idea that you are excited, that you are content, that you are a good and friendly and intelligent community. He has no inside information, he has no secret contacts, he has no clue - his "realism" is whatever he can say that most quickly hurts you, simply the fact that he does not like your happiness.

Can I, then, promise you that a new Wing Commander is being developed? That one will be developed in one year? In two years? In ten years? I certainly can not. I would have no ground to stand on. I have never - and will never - make empty promises to string you along. We alone are Wing Commander... for now.

What can I say, then, if I can't lie to you? I can say that I have been personally involved in four attempts in as many years to develop a new game. One of these, Wing Commander Prophecy for the GBA, was published. Another was a television series, for which the staff here helped develop the pitch. The other two were attempts by Electronic Arts proper to revitalize the series. EA knows Wing Commander has always meant profit - they want as much as anyone to have another succesful series, and they have made many attempts since 1998 to figure out exactly how to bring it back.

Neither of these projects went beyond the early design work, but a considerable amount of effort and money went into what was done. The attempt is being made -- not just once, but over and over. It will eventually stick. EA will find a middle ground upon which they can sell a new game. They have many questions which stifle development... does it need to have FMV? Games don't, these days - will it still sell? Does it need to have Wing Commander's Gene Roddenberry, Chris Roberts? Can a space sim be risked at all? Freespace 2 and Tachyon suggest they can not. How do we get over the no-joystick barrier? Is there a buying public that is still interested in space games? Is there a group of people nostalgic for the old games today? These things *will* be figured out. If not by Electronic Arts, if you must all rely on silly post-modern pop cynicism about evil corporations, then by the next startup that builds a million-selling space game... and w hen that happens, you know Wing Commander will be back in minutes.

That's all very sexy, my secret life, my inner knowledge of secret projects. It means *nothing*. As I said, you are Wing Commander - you people developing fan projects, making fan models, drawing spaceships, finding old magazine articles for the archives, helping people play the original games on new computers, designing web sites, writing fan fiction, dressing up at conventions, introducing your own children to the series... just like Star Trek fans in the 1970s made it possible for the show to return, you are making it possible for Wing Commander to live on. You're the reason at least four professional productions have contacted me -- not the other way around. Do not quantify your success by knowing what Electronic Arts is thinking - certainly do not quantify it by believing what some cynical child thinks-without-fact.

So, in short, dear internet jerk, we don't want your kind here.

Wow. I just want to say that this is one of the best posts I've read on this forum since I've been here.

Originally Posted by Maj.Striker:
They should return to the roots...it's time to kick some furry butt.

I've always thought it would be interesting to play a game set during the same time period as Wing Commander I or II, only on a different carrier. It might be neat to see what some of the "old" ships - Broadswords, Ferrets, Hornets, WCI era Dralthis - look like with newer graphics.

A new Privateer game set in one of those time periods would also be mighty interesting. Although, technically, I suppose the original Privateer was set around the time of WC2, wasn't it?

Dougly said:
A new Privateer game set in one of those time periods would also be mighty interesting. Although, technically, I suppose the original Privateer was set around the time of WC2, wasn't it?

WC3

Dougly said:
Although, technically, I suppose the original Privateer was set around the time of WC2, wasn't it?

Privateer itself was set, IIRC, a few months before the end of the war, in 2669, with the Righteous Fire addon coming shortly after the end of the war.

(There is real-life historical precedent for fighting after the peace treaty to end a war [Battle of New Orleans, in the War of 1812, for example], not to mention possibility of individual Kilrathi warlords declaring themselves not party to the surrender after the destruction of Kilrah, and going on their own thing regardless of treaties, as per False Colors.)

Might be sacrilage around here, but I'd love to see a remake of Wing Commander I and it's expansions, using the WC3 cast (those who were in WC1 I mean) doing voice work and as pre-rendered polygons.

That's not sacrilege, that would be really cool. But man, if ever you could label something "Never gonna happen", that is at the top of the list. ;)

Dougly said:
I've always thought it would be interesting to play a game set during the same time period as Wing Commander I or II, only on a different carrier. It might be neat to see what some of the "old" ships - Broadswords, Ferrets, Hornets, WCI era Dralthis - look like with newer graphics.

Stop browsing forums and go play Standoff.

The Nephelim just weren't threating. They tried to make them doom incarnate, but the Kitty's were always the ultimate in bad guys. They were such a unique sort of alien... we'd never really seen an alien like that before. And not just in looks, in motivations. The Kilrath descended into new levels of sucktitude in the movie, but the game versions of them were great. I love 'em! That's the only way to proceed with the next Wing Commander game - Either put us at some other point in the first Kilrathi war, or put us in a new one. JUST GIMMIE ONE LAST CHANCE AT MAKIN' SOME KITTY LITTER!

Back