They've finally done it...

Oh, so this is legit? I figured not, as the first time I heard it it was from a site not known for it's.... legitimacy.

Why wouldn't it be legitimate? It's not outrageous or farfetched at all. AD posted a whole bunch of links on the phenomenon surrounding freezing and revival. All this is is an efficient alternate way to freezing someone as it occasionally happens involving accidents in very cold weather environments.

The site I first noticed on was a message board where people post crazy bits of fake news and freak out about them before someone eventually goes "Psych!!!, haha suckers, I got you." And then they share hearty laughs at how stupid they all are. It's not a site dedicated to fake news, but there's just a lot of it. I forgot what they call it, the creepy animal stories. Cryptology or something weird like that.

Quarto said:
It's only essential if you're planning to still be alive when you get there - if you're willing to settle for the grand-children of your grand-children seeing the final destination instead of you, then it's not an issue.

If it's a colony ship, it would be a problem. But not a simple exploratory mission.

The major problem would be war or commerce. By the time the troops and the traders got back, it would be a different world.

At least diplomacy could be done at the speed of light.

Quarto said:
(also, note that which ever way you look at it, people would have to be really, really, really desperate to travel to another star system with cryogenics - would you be willing to take a one-way ticket to a place that nobody knows anything about?)

A lot of people would be willing to do it. The problem would be to find capable ones.

Another interesting possibility with this revival method is the tapping of the entire (!) memory, even supposedly unreachable parts, by getting clinical death for 5 seconds, then use the revive technique.

Time to find out about that incredibly old space fighting game I'm getting constant flashbacks about... ;)

I personally think it's very intriguing and...with some further research and approval by all the wonderful governmental agencies could be a giant leap in medicinal technology. There's a few things I'd like to see first though. I didn't read this particular link but I did read a separate story on the experiment. I believe the dogs were only out a few hours in the tests...I'd like to see them revive something after a year or even a decade. theoretically it should be the same I would assume. It could serve as a method for long distance space travel...it could be a method of preserving people until a cure for their medical condition is found...lots of things.

On a separate but related note I read where scientist greatly increased the life and strength (vitality) of an old rat by completely reinjecting ith with blood from a young rat. Might be something to the Vampire stories after all... :)

If you want to get metaphysical about it, I'm pretty certain that people who have been revived from a naturally occurring hypothermic state haven't come back as soulless abominations, forsaken in the eyes of God. Let's try to be clear about this, we're talking about suspended animation, not death. Sensationalistic talk of zombie dogs aside, you're not particularly likely to be damned for all eternity by being put on ice for a couple hours during a major medical procedure.

But the poor dog, in life the firmest friend,

The first to welcome, foremost to defend,

Whose honest heart is still his master's own,

Who labours, fights, lives, breathes

for him alone,

Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all

his worth,

Denied in heaven the soul he

held on earth.

While man, vain insect! hopes to

be forgiven,

And claims himself a sole exclusive

heaven.

-Lord Byron

Well my question is when these dogs have been revived...do they suffer and kind of brain loss, hearing damage etc...since they are dogs they can't exactly give us a complete recording of what they do and do not remember. A human that is frozen could (potentially) be unfrozen with total amnesia etc. That's why I feel it still has a good bit of research to go before becoming a practical operation. As for the soul debate and the zombie comparison...I think that's stretching it a bit. Granted they could be considered medically dead but when you can revive them at any moment with (apparently) no internal or external damage I don't think it's "unleashing the dead" or what not. Still...quite a bit of research left to be done.

Back