The X-Wing Theory

Mine has guns that can fire black holes at enemies, and the top engine speed is eleventy billion infinity times 3 so that I can escape the black holes.

Also it's powered by my infinite improbability drive.

In a desperate attempt to get this thread back on track, we do actually see three different classes of Star Destroyer in the actual cannon movies. These include the ISD, SSD, and the VSD (Vindicator Star Destroyer). The Victory and Interdictor class never make an appearance. Its also unclear as to whether the "Republic Assault ship" We see in Episode 2 is also considered s Star destroyer. One could argue that it fits the bill in terms of shape, but it seems to perform a task other than the typical capital ship.

Stop saying the word canon. You're using it wrong.

Also: The Wookiepedia (ugh, who decides the names of this tripe?) makes no mention of a "Vindicator Class" (ugh, who decides the names of this tripe?) vessel in any of the movies. The listing for that ship only shows one appearance - Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith.

According to many sources, the term "Star Destroyer" just refers to a generic style of capital ship. Effectively, you could say "Imperial-class Big Ship" just like "Imperial-class Star Destroyer".

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Vindicator-class Star Destroyer". Vindicator is probably the name of a Star Destroyer and seems to fit the usual style of their names (Implacable, Avenger, Iron Fist, so forth).

The classes of ships in the prequels are the Acclamator-class assault ships (also referred to as Acclamator Cruisers) and the Venator-class Star Destroyer (also called Venator Destroyers). The Acclamators are essentially big troop carriers, the ones you see landed at the end of Episode II and are loading up troops. The Venators are the ones you see in the space battle on the side of the Republic at the beginning of Episode III and they're long with that hangar on the midline (which I thought was a neat approach to deploying fighters). You can see more examples of the Acclamator in the game Empire At War and the Venator in the Clone Wars series.

To frostytheplebe:
Not to belabor the point, but when referring to the movies, please say something like "according to canon sources" or "according to the movies". In this case, they're the same thing. "Canon movies" is a bit redundant since there aren't any non-canon movies in Star Wars. I hope LeHah thinks I'm using it right. :) Just a bit of fun semantics. Oh, and please keep in mind that there are differing levels of SW canon, which is really funny to me.

Not to belabor the point, but when referring to the movies, please say something like "according to canon sources" or "according to the movies". In this case, they're the same thing. "Canon movies" is a bit redundant since there aren't any non-canon movies in Star Wars. I hope LeHah thinks I'm using it right. :) Just a bit of fun semantics. Oh, and please keep in mind that there are differing levels of SW canon, which is really funny to me.

That's not quite right - there are actually movies that aren't considered "G-Level" canon. The Ewok Movies are one set that come to mind.

More importantly, there is one specific flim (or pieces of film) that has no level of canon in the Star Wars universe at all, but also happens to contain the first appearance of Boba Fett: The Star Wars Holiday special.

That being said, the attempts above to refer to "canon movies" was NOT an attempt to admit any of these things (that there are movies and film material that is not canon material) but rather an attempt to say that their post was 'righter' then everyone elses because it came from the movies.

Regarding the Vindicator:

As LeHah has strongly implied, the Vindicator is a fan creation that was created in the Technical Commentaries* to explain one scene in Return of the Jedi that involves the Falcon flying along the dorsal shaft of a Star Destroyer that doesn't seem to fit with the other features we've seen on the base of a Star Destroyer before. To my knowledge, no official explanation has been offered explaining what model this was or where it came from.

Additionally, the above debate is factual incorrect - there are multiple types of Star Destroyers beyond the "ISD" and "SSD" show in the films. This is because a handful of Star Destroyer were given their own 'look' for the flim, meaning that they are all technically of the same class with some slight variations and modifications. (This is not counting, obviously, the Prequel trilogy ships.) This number actual doubles because some of these ships had the flim flipped to use footage of them AGAIN allegedly representing a different ship.

If you look at the highest level of written canon authority: there is the Executor, a 'Super Star Destroyer' and an Imperial Star Destroyer in the writing. No other ship classes or types (such as that Vindicator dribble) are mentioned.

*The technical commentaries are the Star Wars equivalent of the Wing Commander Aces club. The author made up whatever he wanted to make things make scientific sense - so long as you were applying his science in his manner to ensure things worked properly, and they have found their way into unofficial sources (like Wookieepedia) where people now accept them as god speak despite their obvious contradictions to the films and novels. (Like the fact that Endor still exists.)

Ugh, when I said Vindicator, I got the name wrong. It was meant to refer to the ship Obi Wann was aboard in the 3rd movie when he was on his way to Fight Grievous.

To frostytheplebe:
As an amused bystander, I just have to ask - if there are no non-canon movies in Star Wars... what's the story with the Star Wars Holiday Special? Eh? Eh? :p

Why can't they just be different flights of the same ship, I mean, gato class submarines varied wildly, but were still the same class. Imagine if only two of the iowa class battleships had been modernized, they'd look very much different from their sister ships but they'd still be members of the same class.

My internet goes down at home for a day or two and look how far this thread goes south.

Back