The Price of Freedom stuff...

Dralthi5

Spaceman
Just finished it again. Boy, I love that game!
smile.gif

Anyways, I should state that I've only played the PlayStation version, unfortunately. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what's different between the PSX and PC versions. ie. missions, cutscenes, options, etc.

I'm not sure, but I think I have the sinking feeling that I'm missing out on something.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited August 18, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i've only played the 1st and 2nd disc of WCIV PSX, but i do have WCIIIPSX so my gease is the usual, no planetary missions, and stuff like that, maybe someone here could give some more examples.

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Real WC fans support the WCESCRP

Ok, i just played the psx version too, but i do know that there it doesnt have the planetside missions (when you have to go to speradon collect weapons or go to ...cant remmember... to save some people under mercenary attack), it was obvious to me that it was a choice to be made (besides, i have a magazine that has the entire mission map for the pc that says it), but was cut out from the psx version (like the ground missions in wc3), and i guess a few cutscenes where cut out too...dont ask me wich tough
wink2.gif

------------------
Well, its classified... i mean, i could tell you, but then i have to kill you...

Mad Hatter said:
I have a question. If there aren`t any planetary missions in WC3PSX, how the heck do you destroy the Kilrathi?!

Simple. The entire run is FMV. Once you kill Thrakhath and the atmospheric entry cutscene starts, you can put down the controller, because it's all movie from there on out.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Less missions: The entire Circe series is removed, forcing you to go to Speradon.
<LI> The ground missions in Tyr are altered so they take place in space. Instead of rescuing Dr. Brody from a series of ground installations, you rescue her from three spacelabs. The actual video of the briefings is edited!
<LI> Various minor FMV cuts to reduce the size from 6 discs to 4.
</UL>

Oh, so Dr. Brody's on the ground? 'Cause when I read the WC4 novel and it had the Marines rescuing her from the surface of Tyr VII, I was like, "Hey, that's not the way it is!" And then just recently, I noticed the hologram of the station seems not to float in space, but is fixed on land (I could've just been imagining that, though
wink2.gif
). Eisen also says that the shuttles will "descend" to the station, when it's really on a straight course in the PSX version
smile.gif

Hmm... I wonder why they cut the Circe missions out entirely? They could've just placed all ground-based missions in space or used cutscenes, if that was the problem.

What kind of FMVs are missing?

I wonder if the PlayStation disks can hold more information than CD-ROMS, 'cause the X-Files game, which I have for the PC, is a whopping 7 disks, but the PSX version is merely 4 disks.

------------------

Mpeg file compression and they also prob cut scenes out. The x-files game blew. Ughh

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

LOAF you took the words right out of my mouth

------------------
Here's to you guy's for doing your job, and for not getting dead (Mac from Speed)

I liked the X-Files game; it had a neat atmosphere. Although it did wear thin after a while.

------------------

The game should have used Mulder and Scully, but it wasn't awful until the end. I would have prefered an interface like the Tex Murphey games (though with better graphics) instead of the craptacular boring myst-screen-shot-a-thon. Think of it this way, would you want to buy a game called the Adventures of Blair and Maniac, and then find out they are only in the beginning and end. I didn't think so.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

well Vondoom, you're right, but i think most of us here would bye anything with the name Wing Commander on it.

oh and remmeber, Blair was only at the begining and the end of WCP...

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Real WC fans support the WCESCRP

I wonder why they went into such great effort to remove the planet missions. There wasn`t much difference in gameplay or engine between space flight and planet flight as far as I can remember.

Quite simple for removing the ground missions. Basically the PSX cant cope with all the polygons on the screen, and would result in dramatic slow down. I had a P90 with 16MB Ram and it choked along on the planet missions, when dogfighting etc.

BTW... Ive just ordered WC:pG, WC:Armada, and Privateer! WooHoOo! Can anyone tell me what Academy is like, and if I should bother paying $30 for it? (Thats how much it would cost me to get it from the states, as im in UK).

WC Academy is the same engine as WC2, and it is a simple mission editor, where you can fly a variety of fighters and bombers. It's best feature by far is the Gauntlet, a 15 level marathon against ever growing waves of Kilrathi fighters. It rocked.

------------------

but it isn't worth 30 bucks
smile.gif

You can find it in bargain bins for 1$ except here in bloody Belgium
frown.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

I paid 4 bucks for my copy of Academy. Still haven't played it yet, though.
wink2.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited August 20, 2000).]

I'd say it's worth $30. But I picked one up for $10 a few weeks ago, right here in bloody Belgium. It was a nice Black Classics edition (CD).

Where? Where? *drool*

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Back