The Lonesome Death of FreeLancer 2 (December 5, 2007)

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see a Wing Commander universe first person shooter. If that's where the market is, why not go there. Someone needs to flesh out the Marines!

I'd like to see that too. I realise it wouldnt really be a Wing Commander game in the sence that the name is quite descriptive of what game it is and you wouldnt be commanding a Wing... but it would be fun to have a kind of Deus Ex/Halo kind of game happen.

I'm going to bet that MMP games on the console are the next big frontier. They're in something of a decline in the PC (natural, since everybody put a hojillion dollars into MMP development for a market that couldn't sustain it)... but there's absolutely nothing stopping the next UO or WoW from being for Xbox Live.

Already happening. I believe Final Fantasy XI is not only an MMO, and not only on the PS2, 360, and PC, but also allows players from all three platforms to play in the same game world. And then there's Phantasy Star Universe which I think has an identical scope.

Although I don't know about how successful a MMO can be on a console (at least currently). Without a keyboard it would mean dumbing down most functions (hell even with a keyboard its hard to map all the things you want), but who knows...maybe someone will make a really fun and simple causal MMO for consoles, or maybe consoles will start shipping with keyboards.

The XBox 360, Wii and PS3 all let you plug in regular USB keyboards now. Many people got them for the PS2 as well when Final Fantasy XI came out for it.

(For those who don't know the color balance story - back in 2003 (2002?) Microsoft invited a bunch of StarLancer fans and me to come preview FreeLancer in Austin.

So, the weeks and months roll by and then Microsoft sends out a PR package to stores... including a huge page of quotes from all the magazines. Freelancer is the best thing since sliced bread, PC Gamer, FreeLancer cured my broken leg, CGW, etc. And right in the middle was a quote from my review saying only that Freelancer 'had good color balance' - Ben Lesnick, WCNews.com.

It was quite a shock to open a Freelancer marketing kit and see that. Scanned it here: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/4501

Last edited by a moderator:
The XBox 360, Wii and PS3 all let you plug in regular USB keyboards now. Many people got them for the PS2 as well when Final Fantasy XI came out for it.

...Thats true, but its still more of a niche market on Consoles. Like was said earlier about joysticks, when they didn't comes standard on computers games that required joysticks started on a decline. For the PS2 the people that bought a USB keyboard for their PS2 were also ones that bought: A $50 game /w (IIRC) a $40 harddrive, and a $15/mo subscription. Basically they had a lot of money and time on their hands.

Would a casual gamer be willing to buy a USB keyboard (assuming they don't have one or can't afford to take it off their computer) for a console if its only really needed by one game? For a computer the keyboard is the main input device, but for a console its a game-pad. If more games start to support a keyboard (and maybe mouse) setup then you may find games like MMOs start to really take root on consoles, until then it'll probably remain more solid in the PC game market than the console market.

With internet access on consoles, and the publics love of FPS I wouldn't be surprised to find Keyboards and mice to start to make a significant showing on consoles within the next two generations (~10 years). Who knows they might even become standard peripherals...

...Thats true, but its still more of a niche market on Consoles. Like was said earlier about joysticks, when they didn't comes standard on computers games that required joysticks started on a decline. For the PS2 the people that bought a USB keyboard for their PS2 were also ones that bought: A $50 game /w (IIRC) a $40 harddrive, and a $15/mo subscription. Basically they had a lot of money and time on their hands.

I don't know about you, but I can buy a great keyboard for $10. I can't say the same for Joysticks.

Wait, you can still buy joysticks?

A number of remarks-

LOAF, you silly twit - if you request to land, wait for the bay door to open, cancel, and IMMEDIATELY afterburn out, you can escape the space station, I found. You couldn't blast your way out with 50 heavy torpedoes... useless things. :p

As for the control scheme- heck, I played through WC1-3 and had a blast using just the mouse. It's perfectly playable that way- if you aren't used to a joystick, moreso. I even beat Starlancer on keyboard. For a gamer like me, FL's control scheme was great! Validating your concerns, unfortunately.

As for the whole MMO on console thing- it seems inevitable. It was one thing with, say, Phantasy Star Online- no hard drive on Dreamcast or Gamecube meant the game was hacked to death with no security patches, and very few quests and the like were done for the Xbox version. Now that MMOs are being released across platforms with one central universe, gamers with weak PCs are flocking over to the console versions- and it isn't hard to see why. I recently picked up Phantasy Star Universe, cranked up the frameskip and down on the detail, and it still isn't playing full speed. Now, I only have integrated graphics, but do the math- as is I'm saving up for a card. If I had, say, a PS2, I wouldnt bother. For that matter I'm going to get a 360 controller just for this game because I prefer playing PSO on gamepad, and so it is with PSU.

Playing an RTS or FPS on a console seems ridiculous to me though. My brainwashed buddies INSIST that dual stick is the way to go, that mouse makes n00b lucky any day, blah, blah, blah... I asked them why they didn't write with charcoal- it makes it MUCH harder to write legibly and takes MUCH more skill, because IT'S THE WRONG TOOL FOR THE JOB. Got some funny looks.

As for a WC RTS- doesn't Warcraft III have a _very_ powerful modding/scripting system? Or so my friend claims you can do virtually anything. Maybe someone around here would happen to know enough about this to answer that- I for one would pick up a copy just to play the modded version.

With internet access on consoles, and the publics love of FPS I wouldn't be surprised to find Keyboards and mice to start to make a significant showing on consoles within the next two generations (~10 years). Who knows they might even become standard peripherals...

FPS games are more popular than ever, but the number of people playing them with a mouse and a keyboard is shrinking while the population using controllers is growing. People will use what they're used to and what's available. Since multiplayer games now just incorporate voice chat, there's no need for a keyboard to input text. And if some sort of MMO (or any game) needed more buttons than the standard controllers had, game makers would include a special peripheral for it. Just like mice for FPS games, there's nothing magic about a keyboard that makes F1, F2 and F3 the most logical buttons to cast spells or switch weapons. From Scene It to Guitar Hero to Steel Battalion, people want nifty intuitive devices. These addons don't have to be expensive and increase the cost of the game, but if making them so makes sense, people will be willing to pay for them.

I play to win, so in the case of any PC-Based FPS, I choose the mouse ten-fold over a gamepad any day. So much more precision, not to mention that turning around doesn't take half a day.

I play to win, so in the case of any PC-Based FPS, I choose the mouse ten-fold over a gamepad any day. So much more precision, not to mention that turning around doesn't take half a day.

I have HL2 for the PC as well as Orange Box for the 360. the 360 version lets you asjust the sensitivity of the horizontal and vertical of the right stick indipendantly. I'm starting to get pretty precise and I can still spin around in a hurry without my aim going all wild. I still don't aim as fast or as precise as on PC but The controls don't bother me so far.

This argument really doesn't hold water, and I'll explain why.

Just like keyboard and mouse, the gamepad is a potentially highly accurate control method given the right practice. You might not have been around yet but there was a time when first person shooters were played entirely on the keyboard. If you played Doom with a mouse, you likely played it as left button: fire, right button: use/open, middle button (if you even had a middle button!): move forward. Doom didn't have mouselook, so you could only look left and right with the mouse. It was not entirely uncommon to play Doom with just the mouse, using the keyboard to switch weapons.

Quake had a mouselook option to celebrate its full 3d environment, but it was a toggle key. Holding a button down (say, shift) would let you look around or aim with the mouse but then you would let go to continue maneuvering. It wasn't until Quake 2 that the concept of keyboard and mouse simultaneously began to really come around, and even then we used the arrow keys at first, not WASD. Then once the mouse wheel came around, oh boy we could switch weapons without pushing numbers!

The point I am trying to make is that so many people swear by WASD and mouse, but it had a hell of a long maturation period with a lot of growing pains. So many people would not embrace mouselook and would keep using entirely the keyboard. Gamepad controls are exactly the same way. It has some maturing to do and people need to practice with it but soon enough it will be a very powerful control type.

I'm not the most observant person in the world when it comes to such things, but I will chime in and say that a gamepad now feels like the most natural way to play an FPS to me. I have trouble going back and doing them on the PC.

I'm not some gung-ho supergamer, though, so I'm not especially concerned about being able to turn around and shoot a Team Fortress robot seven nanoseconds faster... I just like the way the controller rests in my hands, versus the always-awkward system of moving a mouse around a platform.

I haven't really sat down and given it much thought yet, but what is so unappealing about space combat sims nowadays? People seem to like spaceships in any other context.

Or is it simply the music industry syndrome permeating the gaming industry; FPS' sell, so produce as many clones as possible.

Did people forget how much the WC series grossed? Geez. And that was without clones.

I realize this is an old post, but it caught my eye.. Personally I LOVE space combat games.. from Unreal to Star Fleet Command III, space is the place to be! So I felt this post required a really good reply..
Regarding the "Lack of interest" in space games, I feel it has a lot to do with the fact that these games are made too much like the old Top Gun for Nintendo.
You take off, you shoot down enemies, and you go back to base for the next mission. Even with the trading and mining aspects of the game, after awhile it gets boring...
So once you've played Darkstar One, Spaceforce Rogue Universe, or Wing Commander, etc.. You've played them all..
The only thing that distinguishes these games from being better or worse seems to be the level of graphics (obviously), and; more importantly, the interactiveness.
Mass Effect for example is hugely popular because it has so much interactivity..
Designing a space combat game similar to Oblivion in interactivity would be a step in the right direction.

In my opinion, a truly great space combat game would contain these aspects:

- Character appearance, skills, and attributes customization (NO "skill trees" and crap like that. All skills should be available to all characters with each character simply having different proficiencies in specific skills).
- Space fighting (with many ships and the ability to upgrade ships in all aspects)
- Land, explore, and complete quests on planets and stations in BOTH first person and third person views.
- Video transitions instead of loading screens, etc.. to prevent breaking the atmosphere and feel of the game.
- Simple control system, similar to Freelancer in the way that moving to waypoints and other places can be "Automated" (ie: "Goto" command, "Docking" command, etc...). W,S,A,D, movement control setup when in first person view.
- And most importantly, Lots of direction!

Too often games can be great for being so open ended, but at the same time they can lack a sense of direction and priority, and thus become overwhelming. So providing an enhanced system to prioritize and track missions, etc, would greatly maintain interest in the game.

Essentially, just combine Mass effect and Freelancer together, give it better graphics and more interactivity, and the customization of Oblivion and you could have the hottest new game of the year! ;)

Ok, so I can't seem to utilize the 'Quote' option (Im at my computer at work... tsk tsk...)

I was waiting for the conversation to reach what I was raised with as a basis for control schemes and game genres now-a-days. And *finally* someone went there.

Nomad Terror Posted-
"Just like keyboard and mouse, the gamepad is a potentially highly accurate control method given the right practice. You might not have been around yet but there was a time when first person shooters were played entirely on the keyboard. If you played Doom with a mouse, you likely played it as left button: fire, right button: use/open, middle button (if you even had a middle button!): move forward. Doom didn't have mouselook, so you could only look left and right with the mouse. It was not entirely uncommon to play Doom with just the mouse, using the keyboard to switch weapons."

I agree. Whole Hearted-ly.. ly... anyway I concur.
I started off playing Wolfenstein 3D (including the lesser known mod Spear of Destiny), Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, as well as every form of Doom that had ever come out. Played them all with JUST the keyboard (the mouse was... awkward... at first). However, Once Quake came out... i started using the mouse. At first, I hated it. I felt I wasnt as accurate, couldn't do what I was normally able to do, so on and so on.

Same thing happend with the consoles. But *now*... I wont play Call of Duty 4 without it being on the console. Cant imagine being any good (not that I am to begin with) unless I am using a controler. That being said... I can't play Half Life 2 without it being on the PC.

Just thought Id add my two cents there.

What I would hate to see is a resurgence (sp?) of fighting games. Cant stend 'em. The only game I have ever enjoyed was an older one called 'One Must Fall'. Very repetative, but the customizablity (again... sp?) was awesome. For the age of the game that is.

Its hard to compare the past games to what is out there now. I still remember when Jazz the Jackrabbit and Commander Keen came FREE with joystick purchases (on floppy disks for that matter. what was it like... two for Jazz and one or two for Keen? cant remember). But it is good to see gamers now who can appreciate the older titles, while still realizing that the tech of today can produce so much better and more enticing gaming titles.

To speak real quick on the original purpose of this string... Freelancer 2... needs to happen. I do not care what is said about FL. Yes, there are flaws. As with *every* game there are flaws. But to me, there was WAY to much potential for it to be considered a mediocre game. Yes, the economic feature was a bit bland. But the idea that to make that *deal of a lifetime*, you would have to risk all you had to travel from Kusari space all the way to Omega 3 without using unkown jump holes because the pirate issue is too risky... I dunno maybe I am still stuck in the idea that games were not made to force feed a story line to you. The gamer isnt supposed to be given everything. You are supposed to be given just enough, to enjoy the rest of it in your mind. Allow your thoughts to take you just that much further into the game than what the game had intended to begin with.

Hell... maybe Im just over-thinking things... or still stuck with the 'oldies but goodies' genre. ~~~.

I liked freelancer-1 really really much it;s my fav. game please release freelancer-2 as soon as possible,waiting for it...................................

Ready for freelancer 2 as well here :D I can't wait to play a whole new universe with current graphics standards and a new set of ships. Last game I played that came close was DarkStarOne but it was too repettetive in the environments. There is still an active mod community for freelancer (if you have't tried yet, try the crossfire mod, it will give better graphics and lots of extra's).

But yeah, think about it this way, skyrim has just been released and has been a huge succes. Freelancer is no different except it takes part in space and the future. If you stay close to the original freelancer gameplay and you release on all major consoles this is going to be a game that everyone wants to have anyway. If you ask me a huge potential profit. People love discovering, flying, futuristic weapons and the mysteries of space.

Sorry, I don't think it's going to happen. Microsoft actually looked at using some of their FL2 assets to do an Xbox Live Arcade game a few years back but decided it wouldn't be a viable franchise. And Freelancer's biggest (and possibly only) champion has moved on to bigger and better things now (running the 'Kinect' group, if you can believe it.)

Sorry, I don't think it's going to happen. Microsoft actually looked at using some of their FL2 assets to do an Xbox Live Arcade game a few years back but decided it wouldn't be a viable franchise. And Freelancer's biggest (and possibly only) champion has moved on to bigger and better things now (running the 'Kinect' group, if you can believe it.)

Hmmm, there have been plenty of attempts to create a freelancer game though, somehow they all seem to have failed. My biggest hope to date is jumpgate evolution although I don't like the concept of paying per month.

Last but not least: http://www.petitiononline.com/petitions/FLPet/signatures <---- all sign here!

Back