The Kilrathi Social Dynamic

NinjaLA

Alex Von T.
We see throughout the material that the Kilrathi operate on a clan and caste system, with the Emperor and his clan on top and dozens (if not more) of lesser clans who would all love to take a stab at the prime positions.

It seems that the Kilrathi do not keep other Kilrathi as slaves, but much of their honor system leads to a sort of voluntary fealty where every Kilrathi is bound to his master/commander/whatever.

Marriage is not out of the question, they refer often to lair-mates. And the driving force of their political and religious machines is the Females. Or at the very least their priestesses of Sivar.

This thread is an attempt to bring together every single scrap of information we can about the kilrathi social dynamic for use in mods or even to resolve debates in threads.

I could definitely use some help from the Bandit on this one.

Well, my favorite has to be no or little concept of surrender, but itself becomes a question to how the no surrender would effect the social structure.

Something that Melek realized when Kirlah went boom!

Space Point - but you probably need to be more specific. A good place to start is Fleet Action, which describes what a lot of specific mannerisms mean to the royal court.

Well, my favorite has to be no or little concept of surrender, but itself becomes a question to how the no surrender would effect the social structure.

I think the interesting thing here - and the thing that no one has taken advantage of in telling a story - is the difference between having no concept of surrender and refusing to surrender. It's the space between "I don't know what that is" and "that's a crocodile and I don't want to touch it."

Well, given that the Kilrathi are far more instinctive predators than humans are, I would speculate that it stems from the likelihood that a Kil would never let his prey escape alive once he has defeated it. By extension then, combat between one Kil and another is expected to result in the victor killing the loser, with no quarter asked or given.

As such, then, nearly all battles are considered to end in victory or death, and if a Kil ever did get the idea of laying down his weapons, sheathing his claws, and bowing in submission, he would generally expect his opponent to give him death rather than mercy.

Back