The Enemy in WC

Vampa

Spaceman
I think a lot of WC's success as a combat sim had to due with the nature of the enemy you were fighting. Unlike the ubiquitousness of the bugs in WCP, the Kilrathi were a race that you gradually learned more and more about with each successive WC game. They had a purpose, they had honor, and they were equally determined to win. And as the series progressed throughout the games and especially in the novels, you sometimes even felt a begrudging respect for the Kilrathi. Something I think that WCP either lacked or overemphasized too much on was objective of the enemy. They were there to consume you, just like the Kilrathi....and then move on. It felt kind of cliched. And since Prophecy was supposed to set the beginning in a new chaptor of the WC universe...it didn't have that right feeling. It felt (at least to me and a few of my friends) as if you already knew "too much" about the bugs. The Midway was supposed to be the lone potent force able to halt an invasion, you were supposed to feel a strong urgency attached to your actions throughout the game. I didn't quite feel that way, unfortunately.

I remember the way WC3 was crafted...the tense atmosphere....the end of the war was closing, and it made you feel as if the war could end in either defeat or victory. To me, Prophecy lacked some of the right ingredients to make it an awesome game. Its really a shame that the Prophecy universe can't be continued further...it might have turned out to be really fun.

------------------
Kill or be killed

I know what you mean. I thought Prophecy was really good, gameplay wise. The graphics were great and the sheer number of enemy craft and wingman chatter supplied it with a realism not found in other Wing Commander games.
smile.gif

But you did not really get the feeling that you were a part of the Midway's flight wing, that you were really fighting for the survival of the Terran Confederation. In Heart of the Tiger, however, it felt that the ever encroaching Kilrathi hordes would destroy everything around you, which made you fight even harder to keep the Confederation alive.
frown.gif

When (if..?) Origin decides to start making single-player Wing Commander games again, I hope they take heart to place that kind of intensity into them again.
smile.gif

------------------
Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow.

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited January 09, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dralthi5 I don't think the question should be if. Origin is going MP for now, but more companies are doing the same thing. Soon much more will be doing it. And althoug Origin is MP for now how many MP games can they make? They are working on UO2, POL, they might make WCOL later, they can make some addons for POL with new ships and planets, and then what. Althoug people will play POL how many of us can play two MP games at the same time. I think we have good chances of seing the next SP game in 3.5, 4 years.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

I personally would like to see the WCO come out, and as much as i'd hate to say it, flop, and the rights to WC be sold to a company who will acutally come up with a good way to continue the story and keep the game alive. I love OSI for the work they've done in the past, but they need to listen to games, not Ultima Online freaks. (To any Ultima Online fans, sorry for hte insult, but OSI's going a little far with this online stuff.)

------------------
No one is watching until you screw up, then all hell will break loose.

When I'm in the cockpit, Knight never falls.

Even if you COULD pay the price, I'd just raise it. :)

I see.

I can't say I'm overly excited about Wing Commander's future transition to Multi-Player, but Single-Player or Multi-Player it will still be Wing Commander and, in the end, isn't that what counts?
smile.gif

------------------

Of course that's what counts.
wink.gif
I don't have any experience with MP games, but I'm lookin forward to POL. Flying with and against real people will be much better than flying agaist AI. I just hope that if you have enough money you'll be able to buy a capship, like a Corvete or an armed transport.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 09, 2000).]

I don't think I'll like POL. I don't even like the original Privateer.
frown.gif

------------------

I like the first Privateer, but the second one was much better IMO, so I hope they'll make POL similar to P2.

------------------

Maybe I was just playing the game wrong, but it seemed I was jumping to a thousand different systems looking for the one I wanted. It got boring after a while and I haven't played it in ever.

I suppose I should pick it up and try it again, though, one of these days.
redface.gif

------------------

Give it a try, it's a good game. If you need help with a mission just ask here. By the way did you play P2? If not I think you should also buy it.

------------------

Help with a mission? Hell, where should I begin?

I'd like to get the Darkening, I just haven't seen it around.

------------------

You can get Darkening at the EA store. It's the Deluxe edition.

------------------

They still have it at some EB's near where I live, that is the Win95 version.

------------------
Steven "Spaceboy" Takacs
spaceboy@canada.com
ICQ-22457107

"Why make an MMP game out of WC? Online sucks!"

Hmm, let's use a little logic here.

UO, currently the only MMP game of Origin's, is making money hand over fist, in excess of pretty much all games in the past, combined (I don't have the numbers, but with all those $10/month subscriptions, even after subtracting for maintenance, hardware, and salaries, Origin's doing some serious moolah-earning).

Origin is a business. Likewise their 'boss,' Electronic Arts.

Businesses exist to make money.

MMP is making a metric butt-tonne of money.

You do the math.

As for "give it to a company that cares," even if POL does flop (I seriously doubt it), EA is not going to let go of a make-money franchise like the WC line. WC's profitability factor is still pretty notable, particularly compared to all the other game series of Origin's (Ultima (not counting UO), Crusader, etc).

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

I remember the first time I played P2. It confused the hell outta me, because I didn't remember of those mails you can get while flying, thus being butted out of the plot right on the beginning.

I just wish it had a bigger variety of weapons, devices, gadgets, you name it, to acessorize my ship. I felt very connected with my Danrik, armed with Raven lasers...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Vampa/Dralthi5: I think you hit the nail right on the head
smile.gif
. There is a contradiction between the pace of the game (WCP and SO) and the development of storyline/character. While the game is fast paced (you have to act fast to prevent the bugs from advancing into known space), the storyline and characters don't get developed. For that reason there should have been more cutscenes in it.
But if they wanted to make WCP more like WC1/2 again then they should have made a better intro movie to establish the main characters for the game.
The only thing that fits the WCP/SO's pace is the music. That was good work, I must say!
smile.gif
It gives you a feeling of having to act fast.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Christ, you're bitching and moaning before you've even seen the game! You don't know anything about it, so why don't you just put a lid on it untill you've actually seen it!

------------------
Zohrath.

http://www.starlancer.net - Lancers HQ, the best source for Starlancer and Freelancer news.

Huurahhh.

Yip, I'm one of them people who have been bugging Origin to Do multiplayer WC games.

I like wing commander, (except Priviteer), and at the end of the day once you've killed your way to the end of the story, I want to kill my pals too. I would not like to see it On-line only. A good single player game is requited, but the option to go online/Lan/Modem is definitly needed.

I would like to say that LAN support is what I really want, so I can play at work, and at home, most people don't sell there older compters hence can get an ok Lan inthere home.(like me)

I know I'm a bit selfish but thats what i want. - and the more cash they make they more they will develope it, and the more developers will work on it. And best of all for makeing WC better is, the competiotion will try to compeate so you can have a choice. and if WC team slip up they will feel it in there pockets. (where it hurts).

Roll on development budgets...

bye

If the next WC is on-line only and you have to pay a monthly subscription to play like for UO, I won't play it. Reason is simple: I must have like an hour or two a week to play. I wouldn't be able to make my subsciption fee worth it. I play on-line game like once in two or three MONTHS. (XWvTie, Quake II, etc.) Maybe if I was still at school or a teenager living at my parent's I'd have the time to play... but right now I wouldn't. It is my feeling many [older] fans will be excluded that way. At least with the traditionnal games you can play at your own pace.

Besides, it's already hard enough to pay the bills...
frown.gif

------------------
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete's WC Page : http://members.xoom.com/PopsiclePete
E-mail : PopsiclePete@angelfire.com

Visit HCl's WC editing Archives

Personally I'm totally against Online Only games. Why?. Because not only would I have to pay for the game (approx. £40) when it comes out, I would also have to pay an online fee (another £10 at least) and then because I live in England I would have to pay a charge of 1p per-minute (which while may not seem much, can and does add up over a few months).
If Origin insists on only online gaming then the next WC Game will not be for me. But if it has a single player option then I will dig into my wallet and happily buy it.
Also believe it or not, not every Wing Commander fan has access to the Internet...I know it is a shock, but it's true.

------------------
'For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky'.

Wing Commander - Secret Ops Missions
http://saturn.spaceports.com/~wcsom/index.html

[This message has been edited by Primarch (edited January 10, 2000).]

Back