The dumb cloake and the lack of enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Wooky

Spaceman
As some guy said, there is nobody on the streets in the remake! This is kind of strange. One should meet more patrols, convios an other travellers.
Plus there should be more enemies more pirates or at least, the kilrathi shoud be hostile from the begining. Withou all this the game is to easy. I made the whole travel from troy to the big asteroid and took the cloak as soon as i could afford a jumpdrive. And i was only once involved in a battle. Later, with the cloak, the game is a piece of cake. You just take cargomissions. Cloaked you won't find resistance, make a fortune, buy the best ship and you got it... if you hit trouble... hit the cloak and you got it again....
I think there should be restrictions when you use the cloak. Perhaps you could only travel very slow 250 kps or you might be detected. Or other idea you could be detected if your ship is very damaged and burns... I also think the velocity limitations or the taking down the shield should not work automaticlly. You should have the posibillity to make mistakes. because the cloak is a powerfull device it should be difficult to operate it.

Or, you could just not bother using the cloak except when you need it. Using the cloak to do cargo missions and making lots of money is easy but it's sooooooooo boring. Personally i prefer to use mine to get through asteroids and get myself out of sticky situations. Also, when cloaked you can persuade various factions to be nice to you.

I never dared to use the cloak in the asteroid fields. I always thought one hit by one of these rocks with your shields down and you are, well you know... the f-word.

Even if you use it "only when you need it," it essentially becomes a magic escape button to make it home every time. When it's in there, it's too tempting and the players shouldn't be blamed for using it. The developers should realize throwing every gun and advancement known to man into the game doesn't make for better game play. In contemporary WC3, the unit is only available to Confed's best pilot at its most desperate hour for one mission and one/two uses. That's a philosophy that fans often forget when designing their own games. In a Privateer styled mod, a cloak could easily make an appearance as a one-time gift from Perry for use on a special mission or some such. Making it available from the start to utilize during the ship-building phase is unbalanced.

Other thing, it's a kilrathi cloak. So it should be impossible to hide from kilrathi ships...

my english is not the best... were is the differnce between ship and vessel? Sorry... watching to much TNG.

ChrisReid said:
Making it available from the start to utilize during the ship-building phase is unbalanced.
I agree whole-heartedly, and all the posts from people about grabbing it to use before the campaign drive the point home. It was conceived of as an easter egg, to be available once the campaign (and extra campaign) was done. It worked for a while, as no one knew about it until someone finished the campaign. Of course now everyone knows and seems to go and get it first thing without needing the last mission of the extra campaign to tell them how, and it basically ruins the flow. One way or another it won't be available from the start. Either it will be fixed to really only be there after the campaign, or something else entirely will be there as a reward after the campaign, or it will be simply removed. It will certainly not be left in as is.

It's bad for the game, and that really isn't a point that needs to be proved or beaten into anyone's head with superior logic and knowledge of WC canon ;) It's because of stuff like the cloak that a 1.1 patch is being made in the first place (though new HUD images are a pretty good reason too ;) )

Master Wooky said:
I know it's not the right forum but why didn't you take it out?
MamiyaOtaru said:
or it will (note the tense) be simply removed.
The patch has not been released yet. In short, we did't get around to taking it out for the beta patch, which was meant to test other things, like the reaction to the new (old) targetting system. And this is exactly why we have a beta testing forum, so as not to junk up this one with discussions about different versions of the unreleased patch ;) I can see why you would ask though.

My opinion would be that the Cloak should have a limited amount of battery time (say, 3 minutes or so) and make it only rechargable at Kilrathi bases. Either that or make it so that it shuts off automatically when hostiles come into rance. (I do that anyway a lot of the time.)

If it remains in as an end-of-campaign easter egg, that would be a sensible limitation. It's a lot of work for an easter egg though, and complicated by th lack of kilrathi bases in gemini :) It's a discussion probably better suited for WCU. Please start one there if you want, I like the idea (and the requisite necessity of being friendly with the kats to be able to recharge it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back