The 11th Guest (May 15, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Origin Museum curator Joe Garrity has cataloged the 11th box of Origin archive material sent to him by EALA, and he's put them online for everyone in excellent archival-quality resolution! Box #11 includes some exciting Wing Commander materials, including master artwork for the covers to the first three games -- you can see the elements that made up the Wing Commander II box... or the original 'Wingleader' logo both as it would have appeared on the box and during the autopilot camera scenes! The box also contained a video master marked as a 1997 Wing Commander Prophecy Behind the Scenes shoot... hopefully Joe will be able to digitize that video for everyone someday! You can find all of the pictures here.

--
Original update published on May 15, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehehe, those are great greeting cards.... "peace on earthS"

Wow! Thanks for the interest guys!

Yes--the video is especially exciting, but problematic. I have no access to a BetaCam machine, and Ebay charges outrageous prices for them ($500 to $3,000 USD). My idea is to go to a public access TV studio in my area, and get it dubbed to VHS, or hopefully DVD. Once that is accomplished, I promise to share it with the community.

There's a lot more stuff coming as well! Expect to be seeing a lot more artifacts in the next few months.

You don't need to go to a public access station, there's plenty of companies that transfer Beta to DVD for a fairly moderate fee.

As I've said before, my brother has access to all sorts of transfer equipment, and for your Privateer 2 VHS I brought home the analogue->firewire video capture deck Hades had me buy for the WCA transfers... but if you want to have these done by a professional, it should't be hard or expensive to get them put on a DVD that we could then rip and post for everyone (and since it's really helping *us* and not you, the CIC gang would be more than happy to pay for it).

You're doing good work! Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve...

But LOAF you're aware that it's BetaCam, not BetaMax, right ? It's very commun stuff used by video professionals but it's very rare for regular people to have such a tape in their hands, so I doubt that the usual "transfer your old family videos" companies will offer such a service.

The high prices Joe saw on eBay for BetaCam equipement are understandable since it's professional material, not consumers.

Yes, I am - my brother works in this industry. There's a whole rainbow of compaies for doing just what we need here (google for 'Betacam to DVD', and you'll see some prices -- it's not expensive stuff).

So is their a posibility that someone takes the Beta and makes a DVD out of it so that other people could get a chance to see whats on it?

Bandit LOAF said:
There's a whole rainbow of compaies for doing just what we need here (google for 'Betacam to DVD', and you'll see some prices -- it's not expensive stuff).
Wow. 50$ plus 10$ for shipping. I expected higher prices, I never thought there would actually be a market for this that would have enough volume to make it affordable.

I know I'd certainly love to see the behind the scenes stuff from WCP... I guess we won't know for a while if this is just a buch of raw footage or whether or not they actually got around to making a small documentary that would have been included with a guide or something like WC3...

gevatter Lars said:
Mh I would like to get my hands on this beta tape. Maybe I could get it into an avi or mpeg file.

gevatter Lars said:
So is their a posibility that someone takes the Beta and makes a DVD out of it so that other people could get a chance to see whats on it?

We have plenty of capacity to host it here as soon as it gets digitized.

WOW there is a LOT of good stuff there. I like those cards:D and I too anxiously await the time when I can download and burn to DVD the Prophecy behind the scenes video.:cool:

Is it possible at some later date that someone could use a scanner with a transparency adapter and scan those pictures? I would love to have some good quality scans of some of those.:)

Back