Thank you

Blaster

Rear Admiral
I know other people have started threads saying the same thing but I want to say thank you to everyone involved in making standoff. It’s just as much fun as the official games and really amazing for something made in your spare time and, I’m guessing, on a very small budget.

I guess you guys are on a budget of sorts (eg. a time budget).

And I will go ahead and add my praise. Standoff is an awesome mod, looks very professional and remains to be very inspiring.

Yup. Great gameplay, great ships, great missions, great graphics, great voiceovers (I especially liked Reismann, Freyers, Trigger, the Drake, the Verdun, Stingray, Sparrow, Spoons, Bradshaw, Cougar, Popsicle, and whoever I forgot. :p ), and great hacking ;) .

All in all, an awesome piece of work. Congrats. I've recently tried to find significant flaws in Standoff, but I can't really think of anything, aside from a few bugs that have already been mentioned or things that can't be changed (AI...).

Thanks, I'm glad you guys can enjoy the game so much. We really do try our best to stay true to the WC feel and to be as professional as possible for a spare-time zero-budget project.

It's certainly not easy, but it is rewarding. :)

(And even after being forced to take much longer to release the game than we initially hoped to, we're still on a schedule comparable to some over-hyped professional games. :p)

(And even after being forced to take much longer to release the game than we initially hoped to, we're still on a schedule comparable to some over-hyped professional games. :p)

Duke Nukem Forever perhaps? :p

You're definitely doing better than many 'professional' games out there.
It's funny how fan-made games tend to be that way, and not just for Wing Commander. Maybe that's because people are making fangames for fun, rather than for money, so they take the time needed to do it and can afford to try to make as good a game as possible. I guess it helps when game designing is a passion.
Also, I forgot to say 'great music' in my previous post. Needaham definitely deserves to be praised for his music. :)

I was going to say “no budget” but than I thought someone might have upgraded their computer or bought a microphone or something for the game.

I just finished the episode three losing path. I think its more fun feeling isolated from the rest of the fleet like that. And again, great game.

As for flaws, the only thing I noticed that is more of a nitpick than anything else (and I am not sure about this) is where in first piece of fiction right before going after sparrow in the first episode, it is mentioned that Spoons was in the same class as Squealer, Bradshaw, and Sparrow. Which is not in-line with what is on the website or implied in later fiction. This kind of mistake is easily made along with others in many professional games.

PS I know it is really nitpicky, but I thought I would mention it.

As for flaws, the only thing I noticed that is more of a nitpick than anything else (and I am not sure about this) is where in first piece of fiction right before going after sparrow in the first episode, it is mentioned that Spoons was in the same class as Squealer, Bradshaw, and Sparrow. Which is not in-line with what is on the website or implied in later fiction. This kind of mistake is easily made along with others in many professional games.
Meh, Spoons was pretty irrational and angry at the time. Can't be sure what exactly he was thinking, but I guess he probably meant to say that they had served together :p.

I have a couple of questions

Firstly how do you get onto the losing path on Epsiode 1. And can you join the pirates cause everytime i go into the navmap I select the pirate base (by toggling N) but my autopilate wont let me fly there when squealer gives me the offer

Secondly if you take the losing path in episode 3 does the Verdun make it to Sirius. I'm assuming that is a yes because the carrier does get blown up at Sirius in Fleet Action (at least that is what i have heard - not having read the book yet).

Either way if you lose the Verdun in episode 3 it must be damn near impossible to fight the kilrathi at Sirius with only 2 fleet carriers

Well, I am not sure about the rest, but to go to the pirate base you have to go to your nav map and then right-click the nav for the base.

Back