Tcs Lexington

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
It's one of the newsflashes that scrolls across the bottom of the Prophecy website.
Bleh, couldn't remember that. I think most of them were trivial Midway-specific messages.

Eh?

I take it you mean that he only disabled it then, using both weapons. Else there'd be no sense in making it a monument...

Originally posted by Wedge009
Eh?

I take it you mean that he only disabled it then, using both weapons. Else there'd be no sense in making it a monument...

He disabled it using a torpedo... but it was repairable -- they never explain why it's a monument now (presumably it was decomissioned and monument-ized...).

Turning old carriers into monuments is a good idea I think. Besides the psychological value, in an emergency they could be reactivated for operational use.

Well, trying to get any huge hulk of machinery to cold start after months (years?) of disuse would be a great engineering challenge indeed. Of course, anything is better than nothing in an emergency, especially better than building from scrap.

What else would happen if they weren't turned into museums/monuments? They'd probably be disassembled for better use in peacetime machinery, etc.

There's always the possibility of mothballing a ship as was done to the Tarawa in Fleet Action. This is a somewhat more intellegent method of having inactive ships in reserve for future need than making them all into orbitting museums.

Well, apparantly you turn off the power generators, hook the thing up to outside support and then some sort of magic mothballing crew comes and makes it all preserved and then they maintain it.

IIRC from what I've heard here, Bear commanded the Tarawa, then one of the destroyers in the WC3N. What happened to the Tarawa?

It might have remained with the Landreich. It was 'sold' to them in FA, and was an FRLN ship in FC.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Wedge009
IIRC from what I've heard here, Bear commanded the Tarawa, then one of the destroyers in the WC3N. What happened to the Tarawa?

As Raptor said, it was sold to the Landreich, for whom it serves under the name of FRLN Indepedence.

What does FRLN stand for?

Besides the knowledge that the Victory hasn't been cut into razor blades, comforts me on long patrols.

Back