Survey

Cricket

Spaceman
I have to do a survey for school, so could atleast 25 people answer to this?

If your country was at war and you got drafted, would you go? Why or why not.

Give like one or two lines explanation please.

Thanks

Well, I live in a country where I have to join the army in, and I must say that I'm looking foawrd to my service. My main wish is to become a pilot, however it seems that my wish won't come true and I'll probably become an infentry fighter (which I have no problam serving as one
smile.gif
), in which case I'll vuolenteer to go to a special unit.
The reasons I'll join up (besides the fact that I must
wink.gif
) are because I believe I need to fight to save my country (which is more or less in a state of war), I think that serving under a martial law builds character
biggrin.gif

That's bout it I think...

------------------
Evilution!

Last edited by a moderator:
While I would enjoy it about as much as going up against a Kilrathi dreadnought in an unshielded Arrow, I would, of course, serve my country. I am a citizen of the U.S. of A. and will do everything required of me to defend it.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

I wouldn't right now, unless I had to (certain obligations here at the moment...), but in a hypothetical situation where there was a war that suddenly jeapardized my country, that was fought conventionally, I would like to go. In fact, I'd probably be a combat engineer right now, were it not for a little screw up a few years back. Aside from the reserves having enough numbers to fight any forseeable war, if there was a draft or what not, I'd go. There is nothing I'd rather do than help quarantee freedom and liberty, even if the effort does go unappreciated.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited May 11, 2000).]

No... or I'd go and refuse to fight. I'm Canadian and I consider myself as patriotic as the next, but I am also a pacifist and could not take the life of another. It's just not something I could ever, or would ever, do. That aside I also think I would be too scared to go to war.

------------------
Mick Foley is a pretty guy.

Well here's one for ya...

I'm a Canadian, but stuck down here in the US going to school (less than a week and I'm going to graduate!! woohoo!!!)

I would fight nail and tooth for Canada...scared...hell yes...but I've become a LOT more patriotic and nationalistic since I've left....we've got a lot to be proud of ya know...

Now if I was required to fight for the US (I'm never going to get US citizenship, this reason being number 2 not to) I wouldn't. I'm a mechanical and aerospace engineer and I even refuse to build or design American weapons (although making airplanes is ok...weird logic I know)...just because I don't fully agree with the thought process, or people who are in charge of them.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited May 11, 2000).]

I live in a coutry that`s in a constant state of war, although on a small scale.
I`ve already served in the army, but I`m still part of the reserve forces, and statistically we have a war every decade.
So I calculate I`ll have to fight 3 wars until I`m finally out of the army. Although I have American citizenship, and I could always leave my country, I believe that when the time comes, I`ll fight for my country, because that`s the right thing to do, even though I`m not very fond of the idea.
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited May 12, 2000).]

Now that's a tough question. Would I fight... well, I don't know, to be honest. It would depend on the nature of the conflict. I probably would help out, if things got desperate enough. But things would have to be pretty desperate indeed for them to need me - While I have some endurance, I lack physical strength, and I'm short sighted. Did I mention that my hand-to-eye coordination is about as bad as it gets?
smile.gif
In other words, I'm useless, unless I'm sitting in a HQ somewhere far away from the fight. Over there, I certainly could contribute. But they don't make you a general overnight. Frankly, I think I could contribute a lot more to the country as a diplomat (they're also... nay, especially, needed during wartime). But hey, what can you expect from someone who's studying International Relations?
smile.gif

Somebody has to go. Unless you have some kind of religious problem with it or something against violence, you should want to defend your country. But, I guess it all depends on what the war was all about.

I don`t think any country that goes to war ever sees itself as the "bad guy". There`s usually a lot of alienating of the other side prior to a war, and the only way to see it objectively is by not being a part of any of the sides. So basically, unless you`re an extremist pacifist, you usually see a war fought by your country as a "no other choise left" war, and thus usually join it without giving it too much thought.

Quarto: as for short sightedness, I am too, and BIG TIME, if I might add. It didn`t prevent the army from sending me to the armored divisions as a tank driver.
smile.gif

And about that hand-to-eye coordination, well how do you explain your skill in WC games? As much as it sounds stupid, it has a lot to do with coordination.

So no excuses for you!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited May 12, 2000).]

9 to 1 yes vote... that's pretty different from what I got at my school.

Oh well, just need 15 more stats
smile.gif

Mad Hatter, what's your vision?

Cricket: What did you get at school?

Mad Hatter: Well, perhaps you're right. But like I said, if things got desperate enough, then yes, I would fight.
Just to make sure we understand each other, it's not that I'm unpatriotic, or anything. I certainly wouldn't try to avoid my duty. But there are other ways to contribute to the war effort...

Like you said before, Quarto, there are always openings in the diplomatic corps.
wink.gif

Cricket: What do you mean by "what my vision"?

I'd fight if I had to... But I would definately consider the purpose of the war, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be part of a war that was started by my own country (though I don't really see Canada starting any wars in the near future
smile.gif
). I would fight if I agreed with the cause.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

If i had to I would, but I'm not millitary matterial. So I would probably be placed in R & D. In other words, I would be building the war amachines for my country
smile.gif

------------------
Robert "Meson" Stukowski

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

I would definitely fight for my country, mainly b/c draft dodging is illegal, and it's just a cowardly thing to do. However, if it looked like I'd get drafted I'd join on my own to get the choice of what branch I'd serve in. Navy, definitely.

------------------
"He has warrior spirit. It will be the death of him." Prince Thrakhath - End Run

I, personally, am tired of individual thought... whoever gave seven million people the idea that they were the smartest people in the universe and could think clearer than the worlds governments should be shot
smile.gif
If my country needs me, I'll be there -- no ranting about whether or not it's right or just or moral or what not.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

Patriotism is a virtue of the viscous.
-- I forget who said that.

Mad Hatter: I believe Cricket would like to know the power of the glasses you wear. I am 270 in my left and 300 in my right. or -2.7/-3.0 depending on what units you're using.

And I wouldn't fight for my country per se. I would fight because it's my home and that's where my friends and family live.

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Back