Sudden crashes

U

Unregistered

I'm having trouble with sudden crashes, as far as i can tell, always when someone is speaking. There is an error message about a semaphore request (mutex 128).
Any help?

What's the operating system you're running Standoff on? I think we have some issues like that with Windows 2000 and ME.

Windows XP SP2 has the occasional crash, but Windows 2000 Professional SP4 has way more problems.

In the FAQ thread at the bottom of Eder's post you will find my suggested steps for making Standoff work in Windows 2000 SP4 (like they were taken straight out of my post! :-P)

I don't have SP4, at least I don't have any of the compatability mode options that are in the FAQ, I just have the game running fine for a bit straight out of W2K and then giving me that semaphore error.
Also, I can't find the simulator!

The simulator is not available until you get to the second episode. Once you're there, you really can't miss it ;).

Right, with the slayergui set to win 98 and sound accelleration off (must remember to turn it back on for other games! Max payne 2 runs like a dog without it) It's now really rather stabel, thanks guys! I've finally got to the Firekka and played around with the sims. also had an in character conversation... Bloody hell! this feels more like a professional game from about three to five years ago than a fanproject of any time. It's beyond impressive.

On another note
I'd like to offer my services as a voice actor for upcoming episodes, I'm a trained actor with a variety of accents and the hardware and software to provide the files ready for you to use if you just send me a script.

If you reply to this that you're interested, I'll email you with contact details.

Cheers guys

Unregistered said:
On another note
I'd like to offer my services as a voice actor for upcoming episodes, I'm a trained actor with a variety of accents and the hardware and software to provide the files ready for you to use if you just send me a script.

If you reply to this that you're interested, I'll email you with contact details.

Cheers guys

We might be able to find something for you to do. Send me some samples (be it your accents, normal voice, pick your own lines) and send them to rileyrock@gmail.com

I'll see if we have anything that fits. ;)

-T

I'm glad it's working for you. Windows 2000 seems to be very picky about when it wants to work. Even after following all of those steps it sometimes feels like crashing all the time anyway.

I never really did find any additional ways to further prevent crashes.

I hate to say it (because I rather despise XP), but it works a whole lot more reliably in XP.

Nomad Terror said:
I hate to say it (because I rather despise XP), ...
Odd, WinXP is actually the first Microsoft OS I've been enthousiast about since DOS 3.3 ... if it wasn't for the WinXP's release I would have switched to Mac OSX as my main OS, no matter the cost of Apple hardware :p I would have delivered the papers as a side-job to be able to pay for the Mac; but fortunately I didn't have to :D

Well this isn't the place for OS politics. I just feel that, as far as Windows goes, Windows 2000 is still the most reliable. It also helps that it uses up much less hard drive space then XP and requires much less of a computer to run at the same performance level.

Nomad Terror said:
Well this isn't the place for OS politics. I just feel that, as far as Windows goes, Windows 2000 is still the most reliable. It also helps that it uses up much less hard drive space then XP and requires much less of a computer to run at the same performance level.

That's all well and good, but what does it matter if it doesn't run all the programs you want to run?

Back