Steltek gun

Chernikov said:
The great bit about tailguns in Priv was running away. I think you could still afterburn and control that gun, so you could smack any pursuers in the face with longrange weapons and increase the distance...
If I was rich enough to have a turret with guns, I was rich enough to be in a decent ship which would fight not flee. In any case, guns soak up valuable energy which you also need for afterburners, so using the two simultaneously is a quick way to drain your power reserves.

You just had to be a good shot. For defense purposes, I usually had lasers on my turret. Good range, and low enough energy consumption that I could AB and shoot. They kept those pesky talons at bay on drug runs.

True, but sometimes I didn't *want* to kill them. Like that time when the militia find your contraband from Tayla. You *can* kill them, and earn those negative points in their book, or you can run, and just use your laser to keep them at bay as you do. Land and be done with it. None will be the wiser.

Oh yes, of course. I did not kill any militia or Confed. I've even restarted missions where I've accidentally collided with a militia Talon and killed it. It's really quite funny because in RF, it's possible to completely outrun the authorities in a speed-boosted Centurion. I've never needed to shoot back.

on that mission where you transport that rich guys nefew to that refinery base(or whatever it was) and you run into the confeds that try to take you out, i always started running and went straight for an asteroid belt which usually killed them off without me getting their kills so the confeds wouldnt kill me the next time i saw them.

Lynch's cousin Regis, take him to Romulus mining base in Castor? I can't recall there being any asteroids, because I'd certainly splat into them myself. The game won't let me do the asteroid afterburning jinking trick. :(

Anyhow, the next time you see the Confeds, they shouldn't attack you unless you've been naughty enough to make them hostile.

If I was playing and felt like being more on the dark side of the law I would always destroy both miltia and confeds alike...damn it feels good to be a gansta....

Wedge009 said:
Oh yes, of course. I did not kill any militia or Confed. I've even restarted missions where I've accidentally collided with a militia Talon and killed it. It's really quite funny because in RF, it's possible to completely outrun the authorities in a speed-boosted Centurion. I've never needed to shoot back.

Actually, even in Privateer itself you can outrun them. The AI is stupid, and even when given ships that can catch you (Stiletto, at 1400kps AB) will, after a time, just settle for following behind you at a set distance instead of trying to take advantage of superior speed.

(OTOH, civilian ships in Priv/RF didn't use fuel for afterburners, so they could run without having to worry about gas.)

True that, I always realized that when I ran from the Kilrathi, at some point the VDU would show that the distance increased. They just stop using the AB, put some distance and then AB again.

Steltek drone would do that, too. Which was annoying as hell. He'd just sit back there and pick at you with those death-booger throwers.

Lob a missile at it. Won't do any damage, but, as I said up-thread, the AI is stupid. Even if the missile has no chance of making the shields even flicker, the drone will go evasive while being tracked by a missile.

Found that real handy in getting out of those new sectors after retreiving the gun, especially at the roided jump points.

Actually, I remember seeing that. It'd wiggle around the missile and give you a second to get away. That would come in quite useful during that time when you have to sit dead still at a jump point right before you jump. That thing'll beat the ever-living hell out of you if it's close by.

Death said:
Actually, even in Privateer itself you can outrun them. The AI is stupid, and even when given ships that can catch you (Stiletto, at 1400kps AB) will, after a time, just settle for following behind you at a set distance instead of trying to take advantage of superior speed.
You can outrun them, but only to the point where they would hang around 5000 klicks. In RF, you can outrun them to the point where they go beyond sensor range, and you can go to autopilot.

Thinking over it, it's odd because even with the speed boster, the Centurion isn'
t faster than a Stiletto on AB IIRC.

After having played the Standoff beta, I can tell you this: A Stilletto is *no match* for a Centurion. Unless the person in the Centurion is really really really bad . . . and braindead . . . and doesn't accidentally ram the person in the Stilletto. A Stilletto will blow up from a stern talking-to, much less a beating.

Oh sure, a Stiletto never shot me down (I think) but we're talking about running from them which certainly shouldn't be easy, even in a Centurion.

Yes, I ran from them sometimes because even if they were not dangerous, they were quite annoying IMHO. One of the hardest to hit fighters.

overmortal said:
After having played the Standoff beta, I can tell you this: A Stilletto is *no match* for a Centurion. Unless the person in the Centurion is really really really bad . . . and braindead . . . and doesn't accidentally ram the person in the Stilletto. A Stilletto will blow up from a stern talking-to, much less a beating.

Yeah, the Standoff version of the Stilletto is just barely enough better than the Ferret to count as being better at all (four heatseekers instead of two, and a smidgen more armor).

As for the Privateer AI ships seeming to use their afterburners only in spurts, think about this: Afterburners in Privateer run off of your gun capacitors, and unless you have a large enough engine upgrade, you will drain your capacitors totally after a number of seconds (which means no more afterburning till they have regenerated a bit). I am thinking that the AI ships are only capable of afterburning in short bursts and "run out of power", needing to lay off on the afterburners for a few seconds to recharge them. Remember also that AI ships tend to shoot at you while afterburning, which just drains their energy all the faster.

A nice theory, but I have the impression that things like energy levels and gun capacitors for enemy ships aren't really taken into account in WC games.

Back