State your 1st and 2nd

It depends on how you define a real part, which it is. Gemini seems so far from Kilrathi space to me, I just didn't know that the cats made such regular runs behind confed lines. I can see them going to Earth once.

Well they might not have been workin for the Kilrathi

------------------
I fight on the side of peace and honor, just like Blair

Eagle said:
I thought some people didn't consider Priv a real part of the WC series since it is in its own series...

But those people are messed up.
smile.gif
No offense, but anyone who doesen't see all the obvious stuff that connects Priv to WCU isn't cool.
cool.gif
. Both Priv, and P2 are a part of the WC universe.
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Death's Head said:
It depends on how you define a real part, which it is. Gemini seems so far from Kilrathi space to me, I just didn't know that the cats made such regular runs behind confed lines. I can see them going to Earth once.

Gemini is actualy very close to Kilrathi space, at least according to the Prophecy map. Though that is of course after the TK war, and the teritories have changed during that war. However, except of some plot missions I didn't see that many Kilrathi. I actualy only saw one Kamekh.

Craze says:
Well they might not have been workin for the Kilrathi

I never though about that, but you could be right. The Kilrathi in Gemini could be just smuglers, and renegades thrown away from their clans. Priv does take place at about the same time as WC3, and Kilrathi fighters in WC3 are much more advanced than what we see in Priv. So if they do work for Kilrathi, they aren't realy important, and if they don't, than it would explain why they're flying obsolete craft.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 24, 2000).]

Death's Head: What do you base that on? During the war, there were several systems in Gemini that were controlled by the Kilrathi. Hence the Blockade Points. It was only after the war that Confed has full control of the sector, and even then the Kilrathi are right next door.

Earthworm: I've seen lots of Kamekhs. In fact, I occasionally go Kamekh-hunting, over in Kilrathi space. The first time I went there, it was to see if that asteroid supply-depot rumour is true... it was silly, I know. But then, we find out about the Steltek drone from rumours too. Unfortunately, the asteroid supply-depot is just a rumour.

The Kilrathi in Gemini are not smugglers. They belong to the (Sixth?) Fleet. In fact, we get to eliminate their admiral during RF. You will notice that Confed is also using ships from 2667/8. The simple truth is, Gemini is the middle of nowhere. The Kilrathi cannot invest any significant forces there because it's much too far away from Kilrah Sector, and they're trying to get to Sol Sector in a much more direct way anyway.
Admittedly, there are three jump routes from Gemini straight into Sol Sector. This is probably the only reason why Confed maintains any sort of presence in Gemini - otherwise, they'd probably just abandon it altogether before BoT.

Incidentally, has anybody else noticed the way Priv messed up? It's set in 2669. Then we have RF, which is set "one year later". That would mean 2670. And yet, not only is the war still on, but the Kilrathi apparently are still winning
smile.gif
. Did somebody forget to inform the Kilrathi and Confed forces in Gemini about the Treaty?
biggrin.gif

The Kilrathi in Gemini are not smugglers. They belong to the (Sixth?) Fleet. In fact, we get to eliminate their admiral during RF. You will notice that Confed is also using ships from 2667/8. The simple truth is, Gemini is the middle of nowhere. The Kilrathi cannot invest any significant forces there because it's much too far away from Kilrah Sector, and they're trying to get to Sol Sector in a much more direct way anyway.

True, but I think that even in such a backwater group of systems, Kilrathi should put in some new fighters, or older fighters with the new armor. If not, Confed could just send one T-bolt to destroy a Kilrathi battle group in Gemini.

Incidentally, has anybody else noticed the way Priv messed up? It's set in 2669. Then we have RF, which is set "one year later". That would mean 2670. And yet, not only is the war still on, but the Kilrathi apparently are still winning
smile.gif
. Did somebody forget to inform the Kilrathi and Confed forces in Gemini about the Treaty?
biggrin.gif

Just because it says one year later doesen't mean it has to be full 365 days later.
smile.gif
It could just be 300 days, which is close to a year. Also, the TK war didn't exactly end with the destruction of Kilrah. Don't you wish you could get those novels now don't you Quarto?
biggrin.gif
In False Colors, on the border systems like in the Landreich, there was still fighting between them and remaining warlords. Gemini could be seen by some Kilrathi as a sector that doesen't mean much to as, and thought they can easily take it. So that could explain Kilrathi activity in RF.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Earthworm's being mean to me...
smile.gif

Actually, if Confed sent in a modern battle group (and exactly where would it get one from?
wink.gif
), then the Kilrathi would respond likewise. This would result in the creation of a new front line, with a large commitment of forces on both sides, but no actual significance. Repleetah shows us that neither side is willing to waste their resources in such a manner.

One year later generally does mean approximately one year
smile.gif
. And even if it didn't, Priv didn't start on 2669.001; it wasn't finished in a day, either. Thus, it would be very hard for RF to take place before the Treaty. Notice that I do not say destruction of Kilrah, but Treaty.
RF is based around the sale of Salthi fighters to the Retros. Do you really think a Kilrathi warlord would be selling those? It seems to me that those warlords were fairly limited in resources. They had leftovers from the war. And it was specifically said during RF that "The Kilrathi Empire needs credits much more than it does ships". That implies two things. 1. The Kilrathi have an Emperor, since they're still described as an Empire
smile.gif
. And 2. The Kilrathi have ships to spare. Of course, this could also be taken to mean that the Kilrathi no longer need ships, but rather money... that ruins your "Warlord" theory though.

Actually, if Confed sent in a modern battle group (and exactly where would it get one from?
wink.gif
), then the Kilrathi would respond likewise. This would result in the creation of a new front line, with a large commitment of forces on both sides, but no actual significance. Repleetah shows us that neither side is willing to waste their resources in such a manner.

He he, I'm not saying send it a Battle group, just some modern fighters.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Sure... but "even a single thorough space strike could have ended the battle victoriously"
smile.gif
Neither Confed nor the Kilrathi are willing to commit even one modern fighter. Besides, if you send in one, the enemy will send in two - so you'll send in another two - so he'll send in another three - and you'll send in another four... pretty soon, we _would_ be talking about sending a whole battle group
smile.gif

Games-
#1: Wing Commander
#2: Privateer 2: The Darkening

Characters-
#1: Jason Bondarevsky
#2: Geoffrey Tolwyn

On the rest of the document...

Re: armor. Armor listed in the Privateer Manual is given in actual amount of armor which may be attached to a ship -- thusly a ship listed as having '10 cm' actualy has considerably more equivalent.

The Kilrathi warlords were most certainly *NOT* limited in their resources... just look at some of the things Ragark had. Furthermore, they could not attack the Confederation directly in the same manner that the Retros could. The Kilrathi *do* have an Empire... five, actually -- each vying for control.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

The assembly of clans prolly didn't stop the war immediately after the war because war had become a way of life and the clans still could gain territory from the border worlds and since Confed didn't take protecting the rim territories as seriously as they should have, the cats could seize a few systems and hold them up for ransom perhaps.

LOAF, so you like P2 more than the first Priv? I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Death's Head said:
The assembly of clans prolly didn't stop the war immediately after the war because war had become a way of life and the clans still could gain territory from the border worlds and since Confed didn't take protecting the rim territories as seriously as they should have, the cats could seize a few systems and hold them up for ransom perhaps.

He he, war was a Kilrathi way of life long before they met us. AFAIK there was no assembly of clans after the end of the war and till at least the time of WC4. Melek, whom was technicly in control, though many nobels didn't recognize his authority, wanted peace, but many warlords were trying to make a small victory, in order to gains some popularity and support from others.

Quarto, the warlords did have lots of resorces, Ragark himself had a Kilrathi Dradnought, and a small but powerfull fleet.

------------------
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 25, 2000).]

Those are not the kind of resources I'm talking about, Earthworm. A Dreadnough, and any sort of fleet, falls into the non-renewable category unless one has the shipyards and drydocks, and mines, and processing facilities for the ore. If the Kilrathi sector that borders Gemini had all of those, then we can safely assume the Kilrathi would've been defending the Gemini border far more vigorously. And since that is not the case, we must assume that any Kilrathi warlord operating in the Gemini/Trk'Pahn sectors will not have the facilities and resources to either build or repair ships. Which means that he will not be willing to trade any sort of ship to the Retros, because he knows he'll start running out of ships too.

Games:

#1- Wing Commander
#2- WC2: Vengeance of the Kilrathi

Characters:

#1 Hunter
#2 Hawk (got REALLY pissed when they killed him off in Prophecy)

------------------
"In fighters, one must seek to become a well-oiled machine.....because in the end, the ultimate goal.....is to flame the enemy and screw his old lady." -Anonymous Top Gun instructor

[This message has been edited by FireHawk (edited February 26, 2000).]

WC2: Vengeance of the Kilrathi. Great storyline and character development.
WC3: Heart of the Tiger. Great desperate atmosphere of last months of the war.

Maniac
Tolwyn

------------------
Mikhail "Black Joker" Babloyan

Wing Commander in Russia

WC3 and WC4.
Maniac/Blair and Vagabond/Pliers

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Games:
1.) Following the bandwagon isn't normally my nature, but I'm going to have to say Wing Commander IV.
2.) It's a toss-up: Wing Commander II or Wing Commander III. They're both equally great.
Characters:
1.) Jason Bondarevsky
2.) Ian St. John

------------------
If i'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back