Starlancer

Dragonslayer

Spaceman
Im replaying Starlancer because im bored and i was wondering what your opinion of the game is? I really enjoy it (except for the bad accents and lack of a personal story for your character). Its view of war seems more realistic in that involves fleet actions instead of the lone ship disease that wing commander suffers from. So opinions?

It´s good, but i hate some of those stupids missions where they coalition shot 300000 torps. or you must do things in time and order to pass them

yeah i hated the torp busting aspect sometimes and the controlling nature of some of the missions but overall i have to say that i enjoy all the missions. I really dont have one that i hate

I hate that game because of the ion cannon. Stupid ion cannon hits you at 500KPS while you have to take out all the turrets. I really didn't have any problems with anything but that stupid ion cannon.

The voices rubbed me the wrong way. All the Russians sounded like Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory. That stereotypical Japanese squadron leader's accent was so bad it was hilarious.

other than the zillions of torps and trying not to piss off the cloaked torp bomber of doom, starlancer is a great game. i love being able to customize (to a certain point) your fighters, which are very cool. same with the capships. having capships that actually DO something is great. as for the mission i hate, it would have to be the one where you fly the captured torp bomber to kill the big carrier. that mission SUCKS

The voices in general are awful in that game but I really enjoyed the personal feel of the different capships and i like capships that are functional and not just flak gun platforms.

The first time i played it was the demo and it felt like they had made a game out of the WC movie. I mean, look at the bombers, big torpedoes on the outside just like the Broadswords in the movie. The general fighter stuff seemed to have heavy influence from the movie from a gameplay point of view. And then theres the scenes straight from the movie:)

EDIT: THat ion cannon mission DID suck

The best part of the game was the cooperative mode nobody used because it wasn't optimized to work on computers of 1999. You and five friends could play together through the campaign. That would have made things much easier. It's still a damn cool proposition. You could even link up six people on Dreamcasts or mix people with the PC and Dreamcast Starlancer and play together. I only ever played once with Hadrian, because he was the first person around to get cable internet.. and it was still fairly choppy. Someday it would be nice to get five other people and try to beat the game over the course of a day or two or three.. Probably never will with our lives the way they are.. but I'll put it on my mile-long to-do list.

I got the game a few weeks ago. The graphics and the gameplay are really good, but that's it. I heard the foreign accents sound bad in the english release too, but i don't think they can beat the german version: the people with foreign accent there sound like they are being given their voice by germans who try desperately to sound like foreigners with their ridicolous accents.

And I'm still looking for a story in the game(I haven't finished it due to a bug. I have to look for a patch somewhere...). Right now the only story is that the Coalition attacks the Alliance. In the game it sounds like they do that only because they are ultra evil Russians commanded by an ultra-ultra evil admiral. The developers surely didn't overused their brains when developing this story...

That is indeed pretty much the story.

Greedy coalition twerps fake a peace agreement to get the drop on the good guys, and proceed to wipe out all opposition up to Neptune (or something like that). Then the good guys rally and slowly work their way back into the inner system. Eventually, it was supposed to be a three game series, with the final game leading into the intro for Freelancer (where you see the colony ships leaving the Earth system) right before a group of aliens come and destroy the solar system (and iirc, those aliens were also supposed to be tied to the original Freelancer plot, with warning of them given by the sole survivor of the Earth system arriving centuries later in cryo - but I guess that was changed).

Apparently the end of Starlancer was the Alliance victory over Jupiter... where the Alliance takes hold for another 80 or so years until the Coalition strikes back, taking everything back causing the Alliance to launch their sleeper ships to the Sirius sector.

There was a pre-release intro movie, where a single alien ship appeared during the final showdown over Pluto... and without warning the alien fired an energy blast toward the sun, annihilating the solar system. A lone Alliance general survived the destruction and headed to warn the colonists at Sirius...
but eventually that part was dropped because in the future it would be too much for a long Freelancer with his allies fighting a group of solar system-destroying aliens.

Originally posted by TheFraix

but eventually that part was dropped because in the future it would be too much for a long Freelancer with his allies fighting a group of solar system-destroying aliens.

As opposed to a lone Freelancer with his allies fighting a group of mind controlling aliens bent on galactic domination.

:rolleyes:

I've played games I like less. The only gripe I have is that SL is surprisingly difficult on the easiest difficulty-setting (though I completely forgive DA for making the final mission difficult)... Oh, and that I broke my first Force Feedback joystick while playing it. :eek: Hehe, I bad!

Ah yes, the FF in the game itself was something out of the ordinary. Too much recoil, some extra tug when your gun-energy ran out, *groan*. I ended up having to turn FF off. (What, me triggerhappy? Nooooo!) The music and capship-battles were pretty bad-ass, except for the simple fact that the capships looked so damn small... But the turrets were gigantic enough to waste without difficulty. :)

Starlancer has good things. Here's some problems:

Stupid co-pilot.
Stupid mission scripting.
Stupid mission "puzzle" based design
Incredibly bad mission design
Coaking torpedo bomber squad of doom
Dumb "hunt down the torp" missions
Dumber co-pilot arresting you for treason if you hit a friendly ship while trying to shot down a torp

Originally posted by Mystery muppet

Ah yes, the FF in the game itself was something out of the ordinary. Too much recoil, some extra tug when your gun-energy ran out, *groan*. I ended up having to turn FF off. (What, me triggerhappy? Nooooo!)

Try Freespace 2 with full FF effects you wimp ;)
That had to be the only space sim I really turned off FF effects regulary or my hand wouldn't have survived ;)

The cool fighter drop sequence at the beginning of every mission reminded me always of the movie ALIEN 2. Even the music there was in style of the movie.

cff: Been through that about half a dozen times. FF on all the time. I think... Hm, ... no, I didn't turn it off for those missions where I was supposed to hunt transports with eeeeevil little turrets that fire like crazy. THOSE moments were... annoying. But I didn't turn off FF. Freespace and Force Feedback are damn fine bunk-mates. Ok, so I didn't push the strength-level too high, but still.

Back