Starlancer

I don't suppose you might have the Wing Commander fighters that used to be available? There were about 12 or so, give or take.

@Bandit LOAF has come through for us on the modding front.
Try the files in this archive:

http://download.wcnews.com/files/starlancer/
Awesome, so now there is the possibility of replacing the capship textures... Sadly no mission editor, or replacing the nebulas(but they've already been improved vastly with DgVoodoo supporting the DirectX5 routines), but many thanks for the link to all the files... :D

Last edited:
I just managed to get this game working and looking right on my laptop again. It’s bringing back some amazing memories. I don’t think I can ever get bored of this one. Would love to try the multiplayer. I’m wondering if any of you could help me out with that ?

Currently on yet another playthrough of my first space sim, figured I'd get the opinions from others on this, and maybe some help on a few things.

-Was there a patch for it, or ANY way to increase stability? My friend and I played co-op about a month ago, and it was crashing constantly, although we somehow made it to mission 3 before quitting (it also didn't help when we restarted due to his deaths). I can play through singleplayer just fine, though.

-Instant Action. There's one level where you have to destroy turrets on 3 capships to get through the encounter, which is a timesink if you can even pull it off. I've never managed it in the Grendel, only getting the first ship- afterwards the others were too far away. Also tried destroying the engines, one by one, but it's still too hard on the burners.

Hacking another ship in and using ludicrously high velocity I was able to destroy everything, but the Zakov STILL doesn't go down! Is this a bug, or just prickishness?

After this, the next encounter involves going through a warp gate before it explodes, then attacking the Czar. I can't make it through the gate before it blows in the Grendel, but my hacked ship can easily. At the Czar, though... goal is to hit all turrets, and upon doing so the Czar exploded... but left its power core behind, waiting for a Jackhammer, which I had none. Is there anything after the Czar, and is it possible to get this far without a hacked ship?

-On a related note, anyone have the ship editor? I can't find it anywhere, and I could really use a few missile launchers on that ship of mine, if only for the Czar.

That's all I've got for now.

Wow; you guys are still playing Starlancer with passion! I was the original editor, I made the models. Such a long time ago.

26 years since I visited Origin in Texas and helped Paul Steed make Wing Commander 3 space ship models using the Origin EOR modeler. Soon after that I went back to the UK and started making models for Privateer the Darkening. EOR was hard and later we used 3D Studio and Animator Pro to make models. This was all before Max and Photoshop. Today I use Maya, ZBrush, and Substance!

I had problems running Starlancer around 2017, it was the first time I actually got to play it properly and reach the final level after plenty attempts to complete some of the last missions of the story.

Got it working properly in Windows 10 - 64bit, at first loaded some update or patch with some visual improvements, it's got that medal case problem (windows 98 comatibility mode solves it) I also manage to run the game at a better resolution, I think worked best at 1280x1024, my older Thrustmaster Joystick T.flight Stick X felt great, finally I could play a proper Wing Commander like space sim, it was not bad at all, there are some irritating missions and ingame characters that goes along but I can replay it again with some enjoyment.

Wow; you guys are still playing Starlancer with passion! I was the original editor, I made the models. Such a long time ago.

Would appear strange somewhat for you to then read all this now. Sadly no expansions and no way to build/try extra missions.. It still is a great game with great cinematics, and patched&enhanced runs smooth as silk on even the most basic systems. I would like another playthrough, but with a full wing, on hard level.

I had problems running Starlancer around 2017, it was the first time I actually got to play it properly and reach the final level after plenty attempts to complete some of the last missions of the story.

Got it working properly in Windows 10 - 64bit, at first loaded some update or patch with some visual improvements, it's got that medal case problem (windows 98 comatibility mode solves it) I also manage to run the game at a better resolution, I think worked best at 1280x1024, my older Thrustmaster Joystick T.flight Stick X felt great, finally I could play a proper Wing Commander like space sim, it was not bad at all, there are some irritating missions and ingame characters that goes along but I can replay it again with some enjoyment.
You might want to go back one page to my post of 17 Oktober 2016, where I give a detailed how-to for fixes and optimizing the game to look good on a modern system.

Thanks Mace, the game was running perfect, I think I did apply your method and steps, I'll just go back and make sure !

Hi guys, after more than 9 years I looked into the threat again. I wanted to play Starlancer with dgVoodoo 2 again and despite the wrapper I have color banding in the game. I made all settings exactly as Mace described it. No chance! Does anyone have a tip?
Greetings from Hamburg, readyred

Hi guys, after more than 9 years I looked into the threat again. I wanted to play Starlancer with dgVoodoo 2 again and despite the wrapper I have color banding in the game. I made all settings exactly as Mace described it. No chance! Does anyone have a tip?
Greetings from Hamburg, readyred
Did you use the 2.53 version of DGvoodoo2 or a more recent one? Some of the settings tend to change as do the output options and not always for the better...
And are you sure the dgvoodoo renderer is picked up by the game(try applying the watermark to make sure)

You can always send me a pm with details of your setup and see if we can improve/fix it on your system and place the solution here after we are done debugging.

Mace,

I can confirm on DGvoodoo2, I'm using 2.53 and it works on my side, last time I checked I struggled with resolutions higher than 1280x1024 but it looks good enough in my opinion.

works on my Intel HD integrated graphics also.

otherwise the game works surprisingly well on new hardware and the control with the joystick too.

Mace,

I can confirm on DGvoodoo2, I'm using 2.53 and it works on my side, last time I checked I struggled with resolutions higher than 1280x1024 but it looks good enough in my opinion.

works on my Intel HD integrated graphics also.

otherwise the game works surprisingly well on new hardware and the control with the joystick too.
I know.. now there will always be some level of color banding unfortunately, but the higher the resolution the more it would "spread" so be less obvious.. on the previous page I linked a Video on how it should look with DGvoodoo2, displayed at 1440p and recorded in 1080p IIRC.. And well, as for the compatiblity and future-proofing, I think Digital Anvil and the MS Q&A team just did their homework... So thanks to @Michael Paul Cottam and his coworkers, if only they could have done more like this one ;-)

the color banding - bands of color, like around a star in spaceflight, it is kinda strange for a more modern game like Starlancer but I can live with it...

Last edited:
Ok i figured it out. It's because of my monitor, a Dell S2716DG that has enormous color banding. With a few settings, I was able to reduce it to a minimum. Thank you for the hints...
readyred

Back