Star Trek: Nemesis' lackluster box office :(

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
I saw Nemesis last Sunday, and must say that it is definetely my favorite Next Generations Star Trek movie. First Contact is hard to beat in my opinion but this suceeded. I'm just sad to hear that a movie I love so much is making the least of any Trek movie ever. 18 million on *OPENING WEEKEND*??!?!?!? Maid In Manhattan beat it! Maid in Manhattan! Just barely, and Maid had more theaters but the fact that it wasn't blown out of the water just disturbs me. Paramount was expecting about 30-35 million on opening weekend and they barely scratch away with 18? I'm just very dissapointed and I think the film deserves much more. Maybe it's because Insurrection wasn't too great so most people didn't bother to catch this one. I didn't think Insurrection was *THAT* bad at all, though, mind you. Okay... I guess I'm done with my expression of sadness for now. Just wanted to know if anyone else cares I guess. Well, at least I saw it on opening weekend so I got to see it in a big theater. :)

I think you have to consider that people can get tired of ST movies-it seemed like First Contact was gonna be their last one (Next Gen that is) but it wasn't, people might just be a bit burnt out. And with no real "powerful" ST show right now, that probably helped too.

But I agree, it was probably the best ST movie I've ever seen, and I thought it was fantastic!

I agree it was the greatest movie of all time........And i think Enterprise right now is a good show i just cant see it on TV becuase i dont get UPN where i am at.....But i am glad there
is still fans of Next Gen..

I find it sad that the Star Trek franchise is slowly dying. I love it to no end, and will for a long time... but without a breath of fresh air (and sorry to complain, but Berman at the reigns) ST will just slowly fade.

They need to bring back some of the more successful directors/writers of the series and movies.

On a happier note, I loved Nemesis. A great movie, and I agree "Maid in Manhattan!!"

:)

I think the ST series as a whole needs to be given a rest for a while. I mean Enterprise is a good concept, Voyager and DS9 where entertaining (though neither show will probably have a movie about it), ST popularity has been waxing and waning over the past decade or so. It is still a popular medium, and Nemesis was over all probably the best TNG to date, but it needs as discussed earlier, new blood. Think of the James Bond series. Downhill throughout the 70's and 80's, it picked up again after a 6 year hiatus with the infusion of better writing and new stars. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a ST movie every 3 years, but I don't think the general public does. :)

C-ya

I agree that ST has been dying slowly. I personally think that the last good series was DS9. Enterprise is kinda cheezy to me, so i haven't watched it after the first couple episodes. Voyager well, they are on their way home, but they pick up a nice planet dozens of light years out of their way so they go investigate. Don't get me wrong. I love ST and watch TNG on TNN anytime i can, but sometimes you just have to let go, you know what i mean?

Last good series was DS9.

Voyacrap was the worst piece of garbage TV show to ever touch the airwaves.

Entacrap is just as bad if not worse. probably worse.

Insurrection was the worst ST movie and would even ahve been a crappy episode. let alone movie.

Nemesis sounds like crap from most of what ive heard.

1: I find it terribly hard to believe that you have seen "The Final Frontier" if you think "Insurrection" is the worst ST movie.

2: Although I can not decide for you by any means, I can assure you that I found "Nemesis" better 10 fold than "Insurrection".

3: I hope I'm wrong, but it kind of sounds like you just hate anything with Star Trek on it nowadays, due to a lack of enjoyment with recent exploits. I mean, saying that "Nemesis" is crap before even viewing it? Give it a chance.

Well, I did see Nemisis on Friday night and it is the best so far for the Next Gen crew. Best for the original would be Wrath of Kahn which is essentialy the same story premise. It is bretty strange that the even/odd episodes have stayed true for the past 20 years or so. For those that are unaware you have the even movies: Kahn, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, Contact, and Nemisis which are all pretty good. Then you have the odd movies: Motion Picture, Search for Spock, Final Frontier, Insurrection that well range from bad to really really bad. The press has never been kind to Star Trek or Trekkies (I am one) and yeah the series may be winding down but it is 35 years old. Time for a facelift which is Enterprise, which I watch when I can. There will be endless debates over which is more popular Star Wars or Star Trek, but I think that Star Trek is the winner because it has had 10 successful movies, 5 successful series, and even a cartoon or two here and there. Don't forget the books of which there are (?) around 200. There is even a Space Shuttle named from the series. Before the call goes out for new blood, remember that everything slows down and didn't a fan write Nemisis, heard the rumor not sure. I feel that Star Trek is OK for the immediate future but that a movie vacation is not out of hand.
jim

John Logan wrote the screenplay. He is a self proclaimed trekkie and also penned Gladiator.

I think my situation explains a bit of Nemesis' box office take. I've been a huge star trek fan for a good ten years or more. My one true primary email address is CReid1701@aol.com. I attended the premieres of VI and Generations and First Contact with a group of people in uniform. I've participated in numerous 24 hour trek-a-thons and been to a couple dozen conventions. I liked Deep Space 9 and Voyager quite a bit. And I just haven't gotten around to see Nemesis yet.. and I don't know why.

I haven't gone to see it because it hasn't been released in Australia yet :)

However, Enterprise should have come out in five or ten years time. There needed to be a break because we have been saturated with Star Trek. I love it to death too, but you can't inject 'fresh blood' to save the franchise, as B&B put it, if everyone is sick of the series.

Enterprise whilst good, is more of the same. I really loved DS9 in the last three seasons. Story arcs were effectively used, just like in Babylon 5. I just believe Enterprise could have been a lot more.

If anything, we need to see a mirror universe show from around Kirk's time (a la "Mirror, Mirror"). Those female uniforms are THE BEST uniform ever designed. I wish more women wore that sort of thing every day!

[EDIT] So Chris, why not?

Originally posted by Mav23
1: I find it terribly hard to believe that you have seen "The Final Frontier" if you think "Insurrection" is the worst ST movie.

Insurrection wasn't too bad. It had a convincing plot, which is more than I can say for Nemesis.

2: Although I can not decide for you by any means, I can assure you that I found "Nemesis" better 10 fold than "Insurrection".

Nemesis was a waste of film. It had NO plot other than "Picard Must Face His Twin". Spiner will be back as B4, if theres any chance of another movie. Once again, Riker had nothing to do; Worf was kicked down to 5 lines. The final battle was long and boring.

3: I hope I'm wrong, but it kind of sounds like you just hate anything with Star Trek on it nowadays, due to a lack of enjoyment with recent exploits. I mean, saying that "Nemesis" is crap before even viewing it? Give it a chance.

I did give it a chance. It sucked. And in defense of saying Nemesis is crap before watching it: You don't need to step into a sewer to know it smells bad.

I liked Nemesis, isn´t the best Trek but it was fun to watch, the end was kinda lame

SPOILERS

Data dead....ppfffff, can anyone say ST2 ripoff...the thing with B4 existed only because Spiner may be back...Troi and Riker wedding was so naive, at least Worf semi-drunk was interesting
I was amazed that B&B showed us Riker and Troi in the bed.

END OF SPOILERS

Well to me Data's death means more than Spock's death. Probably 'cause I'm a TNGer and I know Spock came back. Data's not coming back. I know B-4 is his "little brother" and all, but he's a different character, and Spiner's not coming back 'cause there won't be any more Next Gen movies in all likely-hood.

Look, they "saved" Data for the next TNG movie in the exact same way that Spok was "saved" in Wrath Of Khan. His mind is downloaded into B4, which essentially saves the character and is able to be played by the exact same actor.

Originally posted by redwolf

Enterprise whilst good, is more of the same. I really loved DS9 in the last three seasons. Story arcs were effectively used, just like in Babylon 5. I just believe Enterprise could have been a lot more.

See, I think completely opposite from you. I thought the last three seasons of DS9 were the worst Trek ever. I actually stopped watching DS9 during the Dominion War. I want Trek to go back to being original, and *NOT* about the same damned dark universe with lots of wars and CGI fragfesting that everyone else does.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
See, I think completely opposite from you. I thought the last three seasons of DS9 were the worst Trek ever. I actually stopped watching DS9 during the Dominion War. I want Trek to go back to being original, and *NOT* about the same damned dark universe with lots of wars and CGI fragfesting that everyone else does.

there were some truely excelent episodes for DS9, towards the end that had little to do with the war.

The Visitor was 4th season so a tad before your cut off, probably one of the best treks ever (sisko dies, follows jakes life after the fact)

Trials and Tibbleations was just plain fun, and you got to see dax #1 in an original series woman's uniform...mmmmm....

Far Beyond the Stars, another of my all time favs, follows sisko's alter ego of "Benny Russle" a 1950s scifi writer, it is another excelent episode.

Now i really dont care about what nature the trek stories take, what i care about is the writing quality and DS9 probably had the best writing staff of any trek, the dialogue, and many other aspects was superb. The characters evolved believably, and it all just worked for me. The character developement forced on by the war was interesting and fun but wasnt by any means the only good thing.

Voyacrap and Entecrap have no right to be called star trek. It seems after the two best outings of trek, TNG and DS9, they decided that it should suck worse than TAS and the 5th movie

Originally posted by TheFraix
Hmm...

is it 'B-9' or 'B-4'?

I think they changed it from the original script to the shooting script.

I haven't seen it yet though so I could be wrong:)

Back