Star Raiders Remake Coming Soon

st3lt3k

Rear Admiral
Star Raiders remake coming in Spring 2011!

Star Raiders features a fresh new take on the seminal classic, letting you engage in epic dogfights and aerial assaults against the onslaught of the evil Zylons. Utilize radical ship transformations and robot co-pilots in the heat of battle as you fight to save humanity. Explore the galaxy as you utilize galactic warps and sector tactical maps that let you set your own path to liberation!​

Interesting (and strangely familiar) logo design:
sr_logo_shiny.png

Here is a Q&A about the remake.

An actual space shooter in 2011?

From what I can see, this looks like it'll evoke memories of Colony Wars more than it will Wing Commander.

Though this game has a serious hurdle it needs to clear if it's to be a successful venture: The name "Star Raiders" doesn't really have any impact on the modern industry.

I remember playing Star Raiders on an Atari ST, and it was a neat game for the time - zooming through space on hyperdrive, doing a bit of tactics on the galactic map, defending bases and cursing the slow refuelling pod... All that was pretty new, 30 years ago.

So now someone wants to revive that? Well, they definitely have a name, and that's their asset. The rest of the game idea is hopelessly outdated, has been done dozens of times and better in the past years. I recall playing Armada and thinking: Oh, this is like Star Raiders, only so much better. And wait, that was 15 years ago.

So, transformer ships, robot co-pilots, tactical maps - that doesn't sound too new either. Online play sounds nice, but could be more of the same.

It's good that there is another space sim in the market. It's good to see a familiar name again. So I hope that something in the game, in the flight engine or the presentation makes people go wow. It would be a pity to see a franchise reboot with a pale clone of its former personality.
Heck, I'll buy it anyway :)

So, transformer ships, robot co-pilots, tactical maps - that doesn't sound too new either. Online play sounds nice, but could be more of the same.

Though, technically speaking, I haven't seen online play in a game that has the same visual perspective as Colony Wars since CSiS. Al that really matters is the execution of these ideas, even if they aren't the most original.

So now someone wants to revive that? Well, they definitely have a name, and that's their asset.

Activision did it with Battlezone, and pretty well too. At least, from a gameplay standpoint - the whole "revival" lasted only one sequel.

Which I guess is still better than Dragon's Lair 3D, Sinistar Unleashed or Sentinel Returns did. Did anyone ever play those games?

I didn't even know they remade Sinistar, though I have heard about Dragon's Lair 3D. Have not played either, though I can guess they wernt good

Dragon's Lair 3D actually got pretty good reviews. The Sinistar game... not so much.

Star Raiders Remake Has Arrived

Metro.co.uk review:

In Short: All the basic elements of the original game are here, but nothing of the technical wizardry or daring ambition.

Pros: Decent graphics and the relatively open-ended gameplay is still interesting today. Three transformation modes are handled well.

Cons: Vapid, unexciting combat and dull weapons. Awkward controls and general lack of ambition and artistry. Weak presentation and terrible sound effects.

Score: 4/10

Star Raiders review - the oldest remake in the galaxy

Joystiq review (of the demo?)

Back