Star Citizen Grey Market

Ship buying is... well, it's speculative (in both the market sense and the gameplay utility sense). I think a lot of people who're buying multiple ships are forgetting that, if the game is designed well, you ought to be able to spend most of your career tinkering with loadouts and configuration on a single favorite ship. It makes me wonder just how possible it would be to split your resources across equipment for multiple hulls; will you really be able to earn enough credits to run three or four ships in top condition and tricked out with high-quality modifications over time?

I'm sticking with my 350R for the time being--it looks like it should be able to outrun what it can't outfight short of being in the middle of a large ambush.

@Mekt-Hakkikt - While I also found the Epee to be something of a deathtrap in WC2, it's an *amazing* ship in Standoff! It somehow gains a lot in translation. Too bad it's only in the simulator. If we could have flown that one off the Firekka, it would always be my ship of choice for the majority of missions. And yes, that one torpedo might well have come in handy, too ;)

WC2 had generic rectangular hitboxes (a necessity of being able to run on a couple megabytes of RAM), while the Vision engine is able to map the hitbox to a ship's 3D model, which means that in Standoff you can actually take advantage of the fact that the Epee's tiny cross-section makes it harder to hit.

Is reselling ships bad? Eh.... I don't think it's good but I'd be hard pressed to make a full fledged case against it. I like being able to gift things to my friends and family. Selling goes against the spirit of why gifting is allowed. However, selling accounts would exist anyway whether gifting was officially sanctioned or not. It's better that CIG can keep track of where ships go and who's selling them. Sold ships are still ships purchased from CIG too though, so in that sense there's not a single ship sold on the grey market that is not money in CIGs pocket.

Now about Toast's point regarding people wanting many ships... someone paying double the price for a hornet or quadruple the cost of a starfarer does mean that extra cash isn't available to sink back into other ships from CIG. But it's kind of not a real argument to say that all that cash would have went to CIG either. People that have the extra cash to pay the markup have the cash to buy the ships outright anyway (minus the LTI I suppose). If they really want more ships I'm sure most of them have the income available to do that. Does grey market trades mean lost sales for CIG? I'd probably have to say it's the opposite that's true.

Where a cost comes in to CIG, is with scammers. People that get ripped off do lose money and get turned off. CIG is often left in the middle and despite washing their hands of it are to a degree helping some of the victims sort out the problem and it's the fraudsters that are the ones that are costing CIG. All the customer service time eaten up with tickets on sales gone bad eats up time.

I really don't remember having so much problems with the Epee in WC2. But I never flew her in Standoff (only played the first episode).

I really don't remember having so much problems with the Epee in WC2. But I never flew her in Standoff (only played the first episode).
Well, that got my attention :p. I'm genuinely very curious - why stop after the first episode? Did you dislike the gameplay for whatever reason, or was there some other factor involved?

(of course, you'd never get to fly an Epee in Standoff anyway, apart from the sim - in the storyline, we only gave access to the Stiletto, Gladius, Rapier, Sabre, Crossbow, and on one special occasion, the Arrow)

Normally (or better: back in the days; I guess it's different now, thanks to you), I stayed away from "unofficial" products. It was a principle. But I had so much fun with Unkown Enemy (flying a Gratha!) that I tried out Standoff and I thought it was great! But those were the times when I had more leisure time...once episode 2 was released, I didn't find the time anymore. But it really hadn't anything to do with the quality of the product. Now, I am sitting on large library of never or only very shortly played games, both on PC and consoles and don't know when I'll ever find the time to play them again.

I can understand that. I have many games I "need" to play. Books I "need" to read. Films I "need" to watch. Time is precious, so obviously you need to concentrate on whatever is more important.

also, the reselling of ships isn't bad but apparently some people have bought from grey market sources and then never gotten a ship or account delivered. and THAT is a real problem.

I can understand that. I have many games I "need" to play. Books I "need" to read. Films I "need" to watch. Time is precious, so obviously you need to concentrate on whatever is more important.

"Luckily", I have two 40 minute bus drives to and from work so at least I find time to read (if I don't sleep). But I don't see me playing any game more than casually for quite some time. So, I am not too disappointed in Star Citizen's delays. I need to upgrade my computer anyway.

also, the reselling of ships isn't bad but apparently some people have bought from grey market sources and then never gotten a ship or account delivered. and THAT is a real problem.

But those new rules won't hinder that, I guess.

It does a little bit.. the new rules make it a lot harder to transfer accounts and this *should* make potential purchasers more aware of how dangerous the grey market can be? but really there is no 100% effective solution.

Back