Standoff Snakeir too light?

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
Why does Standoff´s Snakeir weighs half as much as the Joan´s specifications?
joans-snakeir.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably using the specs from the Super Wing Commander manual - the 600 meters/15,000 tonnes version.

Thanks! But 650m in lenght and a weight of 30,000 tonnes seems more accurate, since the Standoff Fralthra and Fralthi are smaller (612m and 500m, respectively) and weigh around 20,000t.

I know that it´s not good comparison (old design, whole different shipyards/technology), but the Standoff Bengals have a length of 700m and weigh 80,000t. This Snakeir weight just seems way off scale.

Hmmm, true, thanks for pointing it out. Seems like I've mixed up the SWC and WC1 stats... I'll fix it soon.

For what it's worth, the SWC Manual is decidedly more canon than an issue of Computer Gaming World. :)

Thats the best ive been able to come up with also, but that is an odd angle for a flight deck, not that it matters with artificial gravity. Would be interesting to know WHY they did that though, other than the "it looks cool" factor.

Chernikov said:
Thats the best ive been able to come up with also, but that is an odd angle for a flight deck, not that it matters with artificial gravity. Would be interesting to know WHY they did that though, other than the "it looks cool" factor.

Who knows? They are Kilrathi, they don't think like us. They don't build ships like we do.

The big floppy ears are supposed to be the hangars.

I don't know about the cats, but here's why *I* did that: :p
Those structures are too damn big and unique to simply get dismissed as just a part of the hull. I figured they weren't supposed to be scoops, since Kilrathi ships in WC1 didn't have any visible scoops... and, well, this is a carrier, and there aren't any other good places to slap a hangar door on. :)

So I thought, what the hell, let there be hangars. Like psych said, Kilrathi don't have to build ships like Confed - just look at all those rear facing tube-like hangars I've put on the other ships. :)

I think hangars are in the front or back because they are better oriented with the motion of the ship. But since, in the game, the carriers are almost alwyas on full stop awayting for the player to take off or land, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Yeah, it doesn't make much of a difference in the game... it's more of an issue when it comes to the player's carrier, and only if you want to use the auto launch/land animations.

hmm... is it possible to spawn ships (player or otherwise) at an angle from the main hull like those are, in either WCSO or FS2?

It's possible to spawn ships anywhere, facing any direction... unless you want to see the auto-launch animation, then it gets a bit tricky.

Back