Standoff in Portuguese?

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
Some friends of mine are very interested in playing Standoff. However, they´ve downloaded UE and were frustrated because their English isn´t very good, so they could not understand the story.

So my proposal is to translate the fiction and the comm subtitles to Portuguese and make a Portuguese version of Standoff, just like Brasoft did with WC4 (and WC3 too?).

I´m willing to work hard on that, though it would be nice if I had at least one person helping me. It would be a good experience for me also because I would have some serious English practice.

I think the demand would be worth it, specially if we start sending out e-mails and have at least part of the Standoff website translated. I could help with that too.

I may be mistaken, but I think that if I write the translated texts, all the programming job would be swapping the texts from English to Portuguese, and you´d also need more server space to store the Portuguese version.

I know Eder can´t help much on that, he is barely having time to finish the English version, but if you guys are interested, let me know.

This would be relatively simple to do... you just need to edit string files (with Thomas' stredit program), fiction (with notepad), and some blocks and missions (with WCPPas), I think.

The download wouldn't be a problem either, since you could put the modified files in a separate tre (which would be really small since there would only be string/text files in it) and give that tre higher priority than the others in Standoff's .cfg file.

The only problem is that someone would need to do all the translating. :)

Apart from this, I would also need quite a bit of time to read everything, check with the originals, and make any changes I deem necessary.

Personally I think that this can't be done yet, since there's still stuff that gets rewritten all the time, and this could cause outdated text to make its way into the translated version. It'd be better to *start* working on it only after we've *finished* Standoff (or at least the Prologue, and then you'd do the same after the main campaign and release an updated "portuguese patch") mostly to ensure that it is a one-pass job, with no re-translating or re-proofreading necessary, which would save everyone a lot of time and trouble.

Anyway, if you're interested in working on it, Starkey, I can walk you thru the basics of editing and send you the files that you will need to change, but only after the prologue is done, since some of the fiction is still in the works. Also, all the actual work will be up to you, and the release of the patch will have to wait until I proofread everything.

Great! Count me in, then :) When you have all the Prologue fiction ready, let me know.

If someone else who speaks Brazilian Portuguese is interested too, please inform. We can´t have Portuguese Portuguese speaking :D people because we´d have half the fiction written in a very different accent from the other half.

Yeah, and don't use local slangs either... thing = coisa and train = trem, not the other way around. :D

Starkey said:
We can´t have Portuguese Portuguese speaking :D people because we´d have half the fiction written in a very different accent from the other half.

Well, I'm off then :rolleyes: ...

Why not? Doesn’t WC have different english accents? We can have a game with different portuguese accents too. For a british guy, for example. Tolwyn should talk like that.

Eder could assign some different accents to different characters if he wishes so. What I meant is that it would be very weird if we divided the fiction in two halves and one of them is translated by a Brazilian and the other by a Portuguese.

As I said, I´m up for the whole job. Any help is appreciated, but must be approved by the game staff first.

Well, if you decide to go ahead with the "Portugal-Portuguese" version of it, I offer my services right away. :D

It could be a nice way to reduce the workload on Starkey's back, but each of you would have to stick to a set of characters.

That could be tricky, particularly since scripted mission comms are stored in the same file regardless of which pilot uses the line in question... you could still do it, no doubt, but it'd take a lot more organization and teamwork.

I don't think anyone will be speaking like a portuguese, or even with a brazilian portuguese accent (save for Starkey). :)

Come on, it would be fun. We have many different english accents on normal WC games. Remember the guy who thinks the bugs make good gumbo?

Trust me, we have our share of extremely noticeable accents in Standoff, just not any particularly bad portuguese one. :D

That's very fine. But just as a note, I'd think that the accent from a real portuguese like Shooter would be a good one. :)

Now another question, would it be possible to translante the text on the engine cockpit HUD?

Yep, text from the HUD is taken from a string file, just like most text in the game (comms, cutscene subtitles, menu tags, etc).

In the HUD, only one thing takes a bit more work to be translated... this is due to one of my cheap tricks: I replaced WCP's "red circle meaning decoy" icon with an image that has "Countermeasures:" written on it, since I can't make it stop using an image and use actual game text, if that made any sense. :p

IIRC, all other text can be translated by simple editing of string files, though some of the menu stuff *might* be hardcoded (options menu, etc)... not sure on this.

Back