Standoff Chapter Four Now Available

- too hard to achieve certain points in the mission structure (remember, nowadays you can play through wc1 within 1 day).
In a gaming age where many developers seem to focus on graphics instead of game play, I think this is a postive point rather than negative.

- think also of people without a stick (almost impossible reachments with keyboard)
I am one of said players and I assure you, keyboard game play is no better or worse than it was in Prophecy or Secret Ops. :)

- think also of people without a stick (almost impossible reachments with keyboard)

Switch to mouse in the options menu, trust me :) I used to never even contemplate flying without a joystick, but that hasn't always been practical. Quarto convinced me to try out mouse control and wow, I swear I'm better with a mouse than a joystick now (it's a little less fun, but super accurate with some practice).

Hehe, yeah, half of the team plays with the mouse - Standoff really isn't that hard, it just takes getting used to because you have to be way more avoidant than in other WC games. Also when the game offers you invulnerability and cheating, it's better to make a challenging game that people can cheat around if they feel they have to than to make an easy game, because that is guaranteed to not challenge anybody.

Hehe, yeah, half of the team plays with the mouse - Standoff really isn't that hard, it just takes getting used to because you have to be way more avoidant than in other WC games. Also when the game offers you invulnerability and cheating, it's better to make a challenging game that people can cheat around if they feel they have to than to make an easy game, because that is guaranteed to not challenge anybody.
I've trained to use the keyboard for years, so I never managed to get better with a Joystick or a mouse than with my good old keyboard.

Just replayed the entire game with the improved graphics & loved every minute.
Chapter 4 is definitely my favorite (so far). Really enjoyed taking down a Hakaga.
Can't wait for the 5th episode to come out.
Thanks so much for your continued efforts, guys.

Don't forget the Chapter 4 losing path, while the winning path has some nice big battles, the losing path also has a diverse array of tricks in store for you.

On a side note,
seeing the destroyed Sirius Prime was really touching. I was somewhere between crying and vomiting at that horrible sight when I first saw that. And no, I didn't read the book

This has probably been stated before, but the level of dedication shown by those involved in this project is really spectacular. This has got to be the most in depth and by and large the best fan-made Wing Commander game.

One of the great services you folks are doing for the community is providing the nostalgia and historic quality of the earlier games for people who have not played them, or simply wish to revisit those aspects through an updated and more modern medium (engine?)

The sheer scope of some of these battles is really mouth watering, and I can only hope to see the missions become even more epic in the conclusion, which may be a result of my raised standards since playing this game.

I also want to mention that I love how each episode has a unique feel to it. The first episode was intelligently placed during the time period of the truce, and I felt more of a Privateer theme as far as the ships and scenarios. It's going to be a game of truly grand scale once we get to play it all the way through episodes 1-5! And whenever that happens to come out is not an issue, take your time and take time off - whatever you need to do to maintain the great quality and consistency you have superbly employed.

"Secret Ops must be installed for Standoff to be installed. Please install secret Ops and try again."

No! I finally get my computer working and this is how it treats me? Blah! I had the same problem with Episode 3. Man. Anyone, please, post the registry values for Secret Ops..... pain.... pain.

Just try reinstalling the SO starter pack. It can be found on the main Standoff download page at the very top.

I love the new one. It is really great, can't wait fpr the final fight at SOL ^^

And i love the new SIM missions, no one challengd my records so far... perhaps in Mission 9 and 10... I am a littel rusty at the moment, but highscore in Mission 10 is mine^^, next I fly my Epee, I want all Epee Highscores ^^

Finally some competition also in missions 9&10 :) Would be nice to have a change to go head to head 1vs1 with sterne. :cool:
It is a shame that torps are useless in many missions....

Well you can go one on one in WCP MP, granted the ships aren't the same, but you can still test your skills.

Are you trying to use the Javachat through the CZ?

If that doesn't work for you try downloading mIRC.

Then you have to connect to irc.wcnews.com and join #wingnut

And we'll be there :)

Back