Space Above and Beyond

The one thing I really liked about SAab was that when they needed an extra to be "killed", they at least put him or her in the show for a couple of episodes beforehand. I think it added some character depth. They where not just nobodies like what they did in Star Trek.

whoa other who enjoy SAAB and B5..

*falls on the floor and hass a seizure* out of sheer wowness

yeah i've never found specs for the SA-43 Endo/Exo-Atmospheric Attack Jet (Hammerhead)

looked for a while back in the day

more a b5 fan myself..know most of the specs for those ships if anyones interested

and the major factor SAAB never really got off the flight deck and into households is because of horrible marketing..the airing of episodes was out of order quite a bit..and time slots changed almost every second week..

yeah i've never found specs for the SA-43 Endo/Exo-Atmospheric Attack Jet (Hammerhead)

If I remember myself correctly, I got some specs for this vessel...

There was a great page around the net - I check this for you when I'm home again... still sitting on my pc in my office.

Deacan

I certainly don't care for it much but I've been watching it. I'm not sure where you're at in the series but I would agree with you on everything from the point the Pegasus shows up untill episode 4 of season 3. The last couple episodes have somewhat returned to being at least entertaining. For whatever reason they derailed the entire momentum of the show for their little political side jaunt. Also it's as if they couldn't figure out what to do with the new ships and characters so eventually they killed off all the pegasus officers anyway and even Pegasus herself. It kind of seemed like the writers didn't like being out of their comfort zone with the extra characters and such and wanted their little 'family' all reunited on one ship. So with some notable exceptions its like they've returned the show back to where it was before the Pegasus ever showed up... (I can't entirely describe why this irks me so much). At least they're looking for earth again now.

The truth is actually very simple.
I have seen and several episodes of the original BSG (1978) - they are actually reusing the scripts from the original series - to some degree at leasts...

In the 1978 BSG, the Galactica meets the Pegasus several episodes in to the first season (IIRC, it's episode 12, but I'm not sure) it was captained by commander Cain, played by Lloyd Bridges, and disappeared (and assumed destroyed) in the next episode (or two). The 1978 commander Cain was not too mentally-stable as well (again, IIRC), but he kept commanding the Pegasus to it's end. He also appeared to out rank the 1978 Adama.

*****WARNING : SPOILER*****
Another example is the last episode (S03,EP10) in which the rag-tag fleet has to cross a star cluster with intense radiating cloud blinding eyes and instruments alike.
In the 1978 BSG Pilot episode, the fleet has to cross a very similar star cluster, only there the problem was the humans could not be exposed directly to the radiation (but only the Viper instruments were effected), and the cluster was mined by the Cylons.
There is actually a rather nice concept there, in which the Galactica launches 3 Vipers (Apollo, Starbuck and Boomer) in "blinded" Vipers (they coated the canopies against the radiation). The 3 Vipers clear a corrider for the fleet by receiving guidance and fire control data from the Galactica's bridge officers.

I guess there quite a few more examples, I just haven't checked:)
those two simple jump in front of my eyes:rolleyes:

If you're looking for tech specs for S:AaB, take a look at this site - there's quite a lot of information, but I can't verify if it's all made up or based on production materials of some sort.

If I remember right they explained that the fighter pilots were used as infantry because of the number of losses the human military had taken. Also Marines are required to be combat qualified with rifles.

It's true that all Marines whether they're cooks or pilots are required to be qualified riflemen, but the episodes using them as ground pounders were just lame. A trained fighter pilot is a huge investment of both time and money, and is MUCH too valuable to be used as infantry stumbling into landmines and stuff. When a military force has sustained tremendous losses, if anything, less qualified folks are thrown into planes as in the last days of the Japanese empire - not the other way around.

It's true that all Marines whether they're cooks or pilots are required to be qualified riflemen, but the episodes using them as ground pounders were just lame.

This is one of those things that nerds get angry about beyond reason. It was a lame idea... except that all the best episodes the show did were about the 58th being ground troops.

It's very, very hard to do a TV show about fighter pilots... because as exciting as air combat is, it's also very, very routine. Look at Wing Commander Academy -- how many times did they have to come up with excuses for the pilots to get stuck on a planet for some reason? You'll find the same thing in modern-militayr shows like JAG or Pensicola... S:AaB should probably be applauded for going right out and saying that they were ground soldiers too in the pilot.

I tried to get into BSG however I could not, the characters, the focus of the show was just not there for me. S:AaB had depth, characters you could actually care about, we were fighting to save earth. Sorry i will try to enjoy BSG again with all of your comments it sounds like a great show.

I tried to get into BSG however I could not, the characters, the focus of the show was just not there for me. S:AaB had depth, characters you could actually care about, we were fighting to save earth. Sorry i will try to enjoy BSG again with all of your comments it sounds like a great show.

BSG strength lies in keeping you guessing as to what twist is coming next, continuous shock tactics very popular technique right now, (just look at anything by J.J. Abrams). For me it works, I'm almost embarassed to admit it given how lazy it was at hiding the fact that it was a twist of the week show, but I actually enjoyed Alias.
Many people claim a large amount of character depth in BSG, people you can relate to, I really don't see it. But whilst I have little compassion for them compared to say the characters in SAaB, I am intrigued as to what will happen to them.

BSG strength lies in keeping you guessing as to what twist is coming next, continuous shock tactics very popular technique right now, (just look at anything by J.J. Abrams).

Ben or Noel!?

Back