Sound card drivers for Privateer 1

evil_dave

Spaceman
Thanks to another post I got Privateer 1 to run despite having Win XP and an NTFS hard disk (I reduced one of my Linux ext2 partitions and made a FAT32 with Partition Magic, and then made a boot disc, if you're interested).

However, I have neither mouse nor sound support. Obviously I need to put the drivers onto the disk. I'm not so worried about the mouse, I may have sorted it (I think I need Mousex32.exe from my system32 directory - it's a MS Intellimouse on USB port), but I would rather like to fix the sound.

I have a Videologic SonicFury or Santa Cruz Turtle Beach (depending one what country you're from). Does anyone know where I can find some DOS drivers for this? Or can I use a driver already lurking on my hard disk?

Sorry, I know you guys get a lot of Privateer 1/boot disk problems, you must be sick of them now. But have pity on me, please.

-Dave

Another thing, are there generic drivers I can use if my card has legacy SB16 support? I presume their must be. Where might I find them?

Also if someone could advise me the correct port/irq/dma settings that would be marvellous...

First try in the Sound Card manufacturer´s web page, but if you have old drivers try them, in DOS they must work.
The usual configuration is:
Port:220
IRQ:7 (but with some SB and SB16 clones, works better a IRQ of 5 or 10)
DMA:1 (if you have a SB (or clone) card use 1, if you have a SB16 (or clone) use 1 and 3, the 3 is for the *high* DMA IIRC

I tried the web site but no joy on getting DOS drivers.

So normal XP drivers definitely won't work? Is there a generic SB16 DOS driver about? I think my Sonic Fury has legacy support (ie will pretend to be a generic SB?).

No, XP drivers will not work for DOS
Luckily John knows some web page to download generic drivers.

Originally posted by Ghost
IRQ:7 (but with some SB and SB16 clones, works better a IRQ of 5 or 10)
I thought an IRQ of 5 was the usual for most, if not all, of DOS-era soundcards excepting the very earliest ones. I suppose either 5 or 7 should work.

Ghost, thanks for the vote of confidence. Unforunately I couldn't find any DOS drivers for the Santa Cruz on line. But I do know it does have them. It should be on the Installation CD.

It sound like evil_dave is running XP on FAT32. Since XP does not have DOS support you may have some problems installing it. You may need to manually install it. You can try Turtle Beach's forums for help.

Forums:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/support/forums.asp

support@turtlebeach.com

As far as the MS Intellimouse USB is concern I don't believe that driver will work. USB devices are generally not supported under DOS. But, if you use the USB to PS2 adapter with any DOS mouse driver it should work.

Evil Dave

How in the world did you get Privateer I to run on XP? I really would be interested. You soundproblem may or may not be able to be fixed. I have used SoundFX and VDMSound and I got other dos game to run. If you have not used these two programs before, I would try using them.

Rick

Back