Some Notes on 1.0 pre5

Pliers

Spaceman
Hey Guys!

First off thanks for this great game you made...... it always sets a tear in my Eye everytime i play it.... i always dreamed of that.... Priv in HiRes....

HellcatV was so kind to give me the DL Link for 1.0pre5.....

I´m running this Game in 1280x1024, extreme Details, full audio, VBO, 1 GB Ram, Joystick Control 3 Axis /w Throttle.

i hope i´ve posted nothing you already know and you are mad about to be noticed

I tested it a few hours and have some first Notes on it....

1. Startup.....

The Screen goes loaded with colorful jitter approx every 4th time i starting the game.

The first two Startups the Intromovie was played. The later Starts it wasn´t (maybe because i quit the game right out of space)

2. The Intromovie

Waaaaay of slow..... like the base screens in the Game.
The lower Edge of the Text isn´t visible.

3. The Bases in Troy

If i remember it right Achilles had a Merchant Guild and a Mercenaries Guild don´t i?

4. The Ship Dealer

I wasn´t able to buy an Afterburner for five to six Missions because it maybe hadn´t been ramdomly generated at the Ship dealers in Troy...... (maybe i´m wrong ´bout this Point) (Maybe the Ship Dealers in Troy could be outfitted with a constant amount of Inventory)

A Button with "Damaged Things" would be great....... and btw what function has the "Basic Repair" Option anymore while i can fix everything by clicking through the inventory?
As you wrote in "todo.txt" Stats of Missles Ecm etc...... It would be great if they were displayed behind the installed Parts (esp. Missles)

There is also something strange about the Ammunition.....
If i buy Heatseakers and mount them in an hold already loaded with something different - randomly the missiles i bought or the ones that were already installed disappear.

5. The Ships

I recognized that the Size of the Ships doesn´t compare to each other. I mean especially the Galaxy vs. the Tarsus.
Is it possible to show the Galaxy bigger on the landingpad and at the Shipdealer?

6. Movement in Space

Especially the Tarsus is a hell of a bath tub..... Could it be made a little more agile?
During a fight the Ship slows down to speeds below 80 KPS and is a sitting duck because of that...... man i killed a lot of pirates an retros in original Priv with my Tarsus but here i get a hot bottom by fighting just two talons......

7. The Weapons

I might be wrong but the weapons are as slow as in .9 aren´t they?
I am only hitting ships for sure when i can see the little Sticker on ´em that says "if you could read tihs.....(you know that)"

8. The Shields

Is the effect of starting with uncharged shields desired? If so it is alright. If not so ..... ist it possible to change this so that you can start with full charged shields?

9. The Displays

While flying the Galaxy the infos on the MFD´s about distance and the targets name got over the edges of the MFD.

10. The Joystick

I noticed while fighting that the Z-Axis changed.....it is funny...... it is like in a real filght sim..... If you fly head down (to an imagined suface) the Z-Axis acts opposite to flying head up.
Did anyone notice that too?

11. Some Questions

Have you deactivated the other Ships for Purchase in this version? (Talon, Demon, etc....)
In .9 i was able to autopilot through Asterois Fields with Cloaking Device activated..... i didn´t try it yet... was it fixed?
In the Manual there are described some different Kinds of outfits for the ships. Is this a planned feature or did i miss something?
Also the links in the manual...... is the Database described to come or is it history?

so now....... that´s all for the moment

Thank you again BIG TIME for this great Game!!!!!

Pliers

Flight Problem

- It seems that when I am in flight mode the screen will switch to another view all by itself??? Don't remember seeing that before.

- Just as a comment: Nice to add the opening Into like the original game, but as previously posted I agree way to slow, cut off and blurry.

I'm not seeing this problem with the intro being way too slow. The visuals lag behind the audio by a second or so, but out of a minute of intro, that's only a few percentage points too slow. If that's all it is, playing around with the values in the .ini file will fix it.

Is that second or so of lag what you mean? Please be more precise.

s far as it being blurry: the original ran at 320x200 resolution. Not much can be done, though you can play with the different options for rendering bases in the setup program. Whatever you do though, it will be either blurry or blocky.

never heard of the screens switching automatically...when does that happen? is it reproduable...is it linked to excessive alt-tabbing and such?

Intromovie

There was no Sound lag.....Sound ran fine. It just ran very very slow like a diashow.....
I cannot view it anymore. Thze game doesn´t play it at Sartup.
Is there any way to make it show back up?

Pliers

I know the sound runs fine, what I want to know is how far behind the sound the video is lagging.

You don't seem to be complaining that only half the video is done when the sound finishes, just that the video is jittery. So basically the framerate is slow. Well, there just aren't that many frames. If we made the video play faster, then, well, it would play too fast and the sound would be behind.

To see it again, move your savegames to another location to start over (you can move them back after you see the intro again)

At this rate though, the intro will likely not be in the final version.

A couple problems I found and am fixing:

- If you try to dock while in a turret, the "automatic landing zone" sound plays, but you don't actually dock until you are back in the main ship view-wise.

- No sound for turret AI on/off.

Back