Some help, please?

Dralthi5

Spaceman
Okay, I need opinions here. I recently bought the Confederation Handbook, which has details on various Marine equipment (ie. the armor, satchel charges, laser cutter, etc.). I was wondering, should I use these peices of equipment from the movie in my story, which takes place a few months before WC2, or should I avoid the movie-game crossing all together?

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Use the stuff from the movie. It's all Wing Commander cannon, even though it isn't always the most consistent. Just try and keep everything in your story consistent, and in doing so you might want to favor the games over the movie or the books or vice versa. It all comes together pretty well, but not great, so be careful.

BTW, is the Confederation Handbook worth owning, or is it just one of those useless movie companions that was compiled by someone who probably never even saw the movie?

I was thinking about getting it, but was hoping for a recommendation.

Yup, definetly use that stuff. Besides, how could a piece of marine armor contradict with anything?
smile.gif

Wolf, yes, it's definetly worth getting. It has some great info about different types of drives used in the WCU, or ship descriptions and character bios. And it's not too expensive either.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited September 22, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
What Earthworm said. Armour isn't really capable of contradicting anything
wink2.gif

Of course, you should note that Forstchen's marines have different weapons. This doesn't contradict what the Handbook says, though - I would expect the Marines to use a large variety of equipment anyway. In conclusion, look at the books, look at the Handbook, and choose the stuff you like best from both
smile.gif

Yeah, there really isn't a contradiction problem just with the marine stuff, but fan fiction can go a lot of different directions these days. The books, the games, and the movie have all put their own spin on the universe. Its kinda of nice, cause it gives you some leeway in your writing. However, if you start putting in detailed descriptions, you wouldn't want to mix imagery from the games and the movie. While the two are both nice on there own, a hybrid would not be the best. However, most stuff can easily crossover. In those cases not using the full extent of WC cannon would be an injustice to the universe.

The Confederation Handbook was written by Chris McCubbin -- a man who is most certainly familiar with the Wing Commander universe.

If you'll note, the handbook explains that the movie's projectile weapons are for shipboard combat and that the energy weapons (and I take credit for the fact that it mentions the actual model from End Run
smile.gif
) are for ground combat.

Thanks for your input, guys.

The Handbook also states that the M-47 from End Run was being used more frequently in operations. I thought that was kind of a neat book-movie crossover.

Oh, BTW, for people who read BOB. I know my M-20 designation for their rifle is totally wrong, so I've changed that to the M-47.

Yes, Wolf Dog, the Handbook is pretty cool and you should pick it up (if you can find it... I had to buy mine used-- eh, at least it was half-priced that way
wink2.gif
). It's very well put together, but for some reason goes from color to black and white on page 65.

One thing I don't like about the Handbook, though, is its designations for fighters, weapons, and such. Everything begins with C, which obviously stands for Confederation. I mean, my country doesn't have the USF-14 Tomcat fighter or the US-16 rifle. It's the F-14 and the M-16. Hmmm... whatever.
wink2.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back