So, what else is GOOD on GOG?

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Now, obviously GOG is my new drug of choice and I want to keep giving them my money... so what else do people recommend from the service?

I have the Origin titles (several Ultimae and Crusader.) I picked up all the Zorks in one of their beguiling sales... and then Castles II, based on hazy but apparently accurate memories of how great it was... and both Aquanoxes because I loved Arch. Dynasty back in the day... and that's it for my shelf.

So, what's worth $5.99/$9.99?

Definitely Freespace and or Descent series if you haven't already tried those. I owned Heroes of Might and Magic for the OS9 and had a huge blast with it. So I bought Heroes III, which I'm told is the best in the series, and was worth every penney.

Independance war is pretty sweet, altough its quite linear, but on the plus side its the deluxe edition!!!
I am eyeing that one up for purchase myself, although I still have the original kicking around

I'd have to say the Descent and Freespace games. (Don't get FS1, just get FS2 and use the FSPort to play the original in the FSO engine.) Total Annihilation for a bit of an RTS kick and the Fallout games always make a good choice.

Freespace is horrible. Even if you could get it to run on your PC back then, it was basically a soul-crushingly stupid game that jerks on the Internet liked a lot. Wing Commander is the gold standard, Freespace is the shitty knock-off that didn't understand why the first worked. Like Alien to Creature or like Star Wars to Starchaser: The Legend of Orin . Disney's Pinocchio to Filmation's Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night. You get the idea.

The only thing I've gotten off of GOG aside from WC games is Duke Nukem 3D. Still great fun for single player. Just wish I could figure out how to do multiplayer with old MAP files.

I purchased the King's and Police Quest series. Although I was a bit annoyed Police Quest 1 wasn't the original, they have been a lot of fun to replay.

Hey! I love Freespace! Does that make me a bad person? Its not a 'shitty knock-off' its just not Wing Commander! And look what its given us: www.wcsaga.com

Freespace is horrible. Even if you could get it to run on your PC back then, it was basically a soul-crushingly stupid game that jerks on the Internet liked a lot. Wing Commander is the gold standard, Freespace is the shitty knock-off that didn't understand why the first worked. Like Alien to Creature or like Star Wars to Starchaser: The Legend of Orin . Disney's Pinocchio to Filmation's Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night. You get the idea.

Yah... I know one can't really say an opinion is wrong as it is an opinion and therefor true to one who holds it. But that is not the view point of the vast majority of gamers who played it. And your tone simply invalidates all of that, as if to say your on opinion is more important. But I can say that you are factually incorrect as freespace is a very different game then Wing Commander, and hardly could be considered a clone at all, except to say that its also a space sim. Just say you didn't like it and leave it at that. As oppose to claiming that all of us who did are somehow "jerks."

Yes, you are terrible ;) Nah, let's leave the game hating at the door and talk about what we like...

@ Dundradal, Yah I bought SQ pack on the store shelves. Was so happy to have seen it. But it had the same problem with SQ1. Would have liked to seen the original CGA game.

The Sierra games are tempting, I could tell you some stories about growing up with those. They're unusually expensive on GOG, though...

Goku is an example of what we will all become when we transcend to pure GOG energy.

I got the Gabriel Knight series from GOG (Okay, Blood of the Sacred Blood of the Damned works fine on my PC running Windows XP but I've not tried it on Windows 7 yet and I'm up-grading soon), Farcry (I guess I'm one of the few who liked that game) and both Freespace games. Wing Commanders are up next payday

There was another version of the SQ pack (released in the UK at least under sierra classic collection) that contained both the CGA and VGA versions. Personally, my only dislike of the VGA version is that the CGA 2 looks rubbish afterwards!

As for what's good on GOG, i've just seen that Star Control 3 is on there as are 1 and 2, and while i'd recommend the "Urquan Masters" PC port of the 3DO version (the company who made it released the source code some years back), 2 is still a laugh, and 3's deathmatch is slightly more fun (a bit tricky to get running in dosbox though, you need netbios running and all sorts of things). Definitely consider Masters of Orion 2 and the FREE tyrian 2000. don't get the Raptor on GOG though as the windows port is terrible (very laggy even on a modern pc). The only other thing I have that is recommendable (in my opinion) is Lords of the Realm Royal edition, Lords 2 is a true masterpiece.

I really enjoyed the years that I spent of Baldurs gate 2. When I saw it on gog, i had to have it as my skills in the computer dept are lacking thus the game no longer worked for me for years..... ahh hours of memories..

Dungeon Keeper 1+2 were a must for me. I also downloaded Raptor: it works very well on my machine and I love it. I bought Rise of the Triad when it was 50% off - not because it's a milestone game but because I remember being very taken by it when I was young and easily impressed by gore. Not yet bought but wishlisted: The Patrician 1-3 and Master of Orion 1+2. I only player The Patrician 1 and Master of Orion 2 but I enjoyed both of these games tremendously.

I remember Rise of the Triad giving me headaches because of the graphics/frame rate when it first came out.

Wasn't it one of the early games with high FPS or something?

Back