So much for the importance of the intarweb...

I went to a 7:30 showing on friday night with less than a dozen people in the theater with me.

I'd say that the problem is that they should have released it when the Hype was at the max, around June, July. They took too long. Hype wears out.

I think it was because the premise was weak (Snakes on a plane? Where'd that come from?) but the hype issue probably also contributed to it.

I think people avoided it *because* of the internet hype. How, in most peoples minds, would it live up to what people wanted it to be? They liked the joke but didn't really care about seeing the movie.

This figure is lower than it would have been had DragonCon occurred one week earlier. Now we have to wait till Saturday.

t.c.cgi said:
Wasn't the movie branded after some silly internet joke?

No, it became an internet joke once someone heard the title.

Lt.Death100 said:
I think it was because the premise was weak (Snakes on a plane? Where'd that come from?)

It's certainly somewhat more original and clever than a lot of movie premises, so I wouldn't call it weak.

AD said:
I think people avoided it *because* of the internet hype. How, in most peoples minds, would it live up to what people wanted it to be? They liked the joke but didn't really care about seeing the movie.

Well, the internet now is full of forum threads talking about how great the movie is. It seems like all the people who were part of the internet hype actually did go see it. The problem might be that there aren't as many people who live online and participate in these things as people who live online think there are.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
It's certainly somewhat more original and clever than a lot of movie premises, so I wouldn't call it weak.

I don't know... All I can think about whenever I hear the title is how similar a premise it is to an old Saturday Night Live skit that originally aired many years ago. :)

At least it didn't bomb and still made #1 on the Box Office. It probably will be a big DVD hit.

Snakes On A Plane is my new "Walking Tall". It doesn't matter how dumb it is, I can watch it over and over again and still be entertained.

Thankfully, everyone here knows not to pay Dyret any mind, ever.

You paid attention to him enough to respond, though.

[impression type="Obi Wan Kenobi"]Who's more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?[/impression]

:p

hehehehe.
I liked the original blair witch movie. The fact that I camped a lot when I was younger (and I'm not talking about spawn camping), it got a tad scarier due to a big familiarity with the whole "walking in a wood in the dark" thing.

But that's all really off topic.

Death said:
[impression type="Obi Wan Kenobi"]Who's more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?[/impression]

Right around now, I wish I had a better picture of me in my Obi-Wan costume from last Halloween :(

LeHah said:
Thankfully, everyone here knows not to pay Dyret any mind, ever.

Well, I've only seen number two, so I might be wrong. Still, I fail to see how disliking a movie makes me deserve that.

Dyret said:
Well, I've only seen number two, so I might be wrong.

You could not ask for two polar opposites in terms of movie quality. Its like trying to compare Superman to Superman IV.

Back