So I looked at the Jumble in the local paper this morning...

Mountie

Rear Admiral
So I looked at the Jumble in the local paper this morning, and the joke/clue was "What the pilot became when he bought a farm." Naturally, I thought of Christopher Blair. Incidentally, the answer was "GROUNDED"

Mountie said:
So I looked at the Jumble in the local paper this morning, and the joke/clue was "What the pilot became when he bought a farm." Naturally, I thought of Christopher Blair. Incidentally, the answer was "GROUNDED"

Hmm, I wouldve said worm food

Iceman16 said:
Hmm, I wouldve said worm food
Thats the difference between "bought a farm" and "bought the farm."

The "the" variant is the euphamism for death, while the "a" variant means exactly what it says... he bought a plot of land to grow vegetables on (or raise cattle maybe).

AD said:
Thats the difference between "bought a farm" and "bought the farm."

The "the" variant is the euphamism for death, while the "a" variant means exactly what it says... he bought a plot of land to grow vegetables on (or raise cattle maybe).

Yeah, the joke is just referring to a regular pilot. When Wing Commander fans hear the word "pilot," they think danger and war, but in general use these days, pilots grow old and retire normally. From the comic's point of view, a pilot buying a farm is just as inocuous as someone from any average profession going and retiring to any random of place.

Back