SO Behavior

Someone can explain me why those Nephilim pilots using their Devil Rays, Mantas, Stingray and all their fighter always slam, collide, cross-path with my fighter ?

That thing bothers me. when I played wing commander II (the only one I played before SO) if my ship collide with any kilrathi both fighters get damaged in the collission, but this no happen en SO ? Can somebody put some light in this ?

BTW, what happenned with the big bang explosion of those caps ships ? why origin changed to those small explosion with the big bang ?

I liked the big bang and most with the kilrathi captain says...arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!

:) :D

the sields are a lot more strong that in WC II, Sometime I kill then by RAM in to their damage ships.
The small explosions, well the ships now use diferent types of alloys and it looks the way that the Vesuvius looked after a flash pack on its hangar, must have something to do with the way ships are now designed.
I like to hear the insults of the startships in WC II.

Apparently someone (EA perhaps, its always a convenient villian) decided that fighter collision is too complicated and rather give you the option of turning it on or off they just took it out in WCP. I think that is one of the worst things about the entire game because then you can ride someone's tail and if you hit them, so what. Attacking Cap Ships is even easier because you can skim it without fear of damaging your craft. The Cap Ships not exploding is about the only graphical problem in WCP and I have no idea why they couldn't have ships explode or at least break into smaller pieces.

They could have used the WCIII/IV approach that blinding blast first then leaving a hulk and secondary explostions in what was left of the ship

I believe there is a bright flash of light when a capship is destroyed, leaving the remains pf it with smaller explosions, but you need 3d accelerated video card...but then again...i might be wrong...long time since i played SO...

I use D3D, and I get the white flash. But that's a moot point, since palette flashes should be available in standard software rendering.

So, If I want to see the caps ships exploding DirectX's D3D needs to be enable with a compatible 3D video card.

When I enable D3D I just get a screen full of flickering and small flashes in the combat and travel scenes.

Wedge
To get the big bang from caps ships I need one of those vid cards in the readme or need to upgrade my DirectX6 to 7 or 8 ?

The only big bang is a big flash of light then the ship sitting there with occasional little explosions. The cap ships never really blow up. I always preferred WC4's huge explosion then slowly twisting burned out hulk that breaks apart.

Stronger Shields

Now I know why the enemy can't destroy my blastes, missiles and torpedoes from the different fighters or even their fire begin popping in my cockpit and destroying my subsystems a la WC II ?

Those days of fragile ships were great...

Well, obviously missiles are harder to destroy now because they're in internal bays. Guns are also harder to destroy (for the same reason), but they still can - it's just that they can be repaired now (again, because they're inside).

Too bad the game is no longer free. Anyways I wish there were more taunts. The only Wing Commander game I played so far was WingCommander SecretOps, and Wing Commander 3. And I just bought Wing Commander Privateer at a thrift shop. :D

WC2 actually had customizable taunts. Not that you could record or hear them, but at least you could have some text variety.

SO query

How does one add fan made missions to SO? Do you need the whole SO episodes which arent available in order to run extra missions?

RFBurns

"You're not leaving this quad alive, pirate!" [militia/Privateer/RF]

Fan made mission

Well, you could play fan-made missions on the Secret Ops you found on the internet, but you should buy Prophecy Gold, witch includes both Prophecy and the full Secret Ops. To play fan made missions on SO, you just have to put the .MIS mission file into \MISSION of your SO folder (create one if it doesn't exist). People who distribute fan mission usually explain how to use them and witch files you need. To play new missions on prophecy, you have to to the same plus patching the main data files, hence I suggest you get missions for SO.

Back