Shrike Three, You're Out! (September 29, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Veteran Wing Commander artist Sean Murphy has something exciting for us. He's had some technical problems with the 3D models he's been using to create Wing Commander wallpapers, so he's converting them to a modern format... and he's giving the fans copies! You can now download a 3D model of the TB-81 Shrike class Torpedo Bomber from Wing Commander Prophecy! This is the detailed, high quality version that appeared in the Prophecy's pre-rendered cutscenes and publicity artwork rather than the lower quality in-game model that can be extracted from the game itself. The bomber is in MAX8 format -- three sample renderings can be seen below. Download your copy here (4.22 MB). But wait, there's more -- Sean says that the Devastator is coming soon!

--
Original update published on September 29, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone with the right tools tell me if the detail is all geometry or whether there are bump-maps and alpha channels etc included with the textures?

would be very cool if someone can convert it into *.lwo, *.obj, *.3ds format.

I do nto have MAX, thus i can't open the model :(

AD said:
Can someone with the right tools tell me if the detail is all geometry or whether there are bump-maps and alpha channels etc included with the textures?
I can't play with it in 3D either, but Bob gave a 3D viewer program a while back that can read just about anything. It seems to me the fine little details are in the textures... or bump-maps.

Here take a look
strikekc9.jpg

Actually, being the big softy that I am (and feeling guilty that technical and work-related issues have kept me from delivering - so far - the wallpapers I owe to the fine folks of this site) I am more than happy to convert these to whatever is the preferred format. I'm using Polytrans to convert from maya poly format to max, but it'll actually export to almost any format I choose.

So how about it, what formats would everyone like to have? Let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Also, a disclaimer: the conversion process is not perfect, so if you look at the poly meshes up close there may be some gaps - it's the result of the nurbs-to-poly conversion. Don't think less of me as a modeler!

Hey!

I just wanted to say that I think your models are amazing... It's very kind of you to share them with us!

the most generic of them all i'd say is .3ds. Retains all the UV's as well as the texture information, should more than get it done. i know LW will open it, hell just about any 3D program with a pulse will open it properly, also it'll save you a ton of work trying to convert to 4000000 formats.

BradMick

I don't know if anyone got to this but has anyone converted it to 3ds or obj or anything? I'm looking for a more accurate model of the shrike and am having a tough time making the launch area were it's looks like some type of torp launchers are.

Back