Ship Stats Project

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
I'm a little burnt out on maps for now... so here's a new project:

Wing Commander fans love ship stats -- we flip through our issues of Claw Marks until they turn into mush and we will go to our deaths cursing the Wing Commander IV manual for its lack of them. Unfortunately, ship stats are *hard*: there's no one ultimate source for them. Many sites have tried, and they all do a good job... but the nature of this particular beast demands an ultimate precision. Thus, my next project:

We'll start by creating an Excel spreadsheet with all known versions and all known stats -- in-game, in-manual, special ships, dialogue references, etc.

Once we've gathered all that, we'll equalize them -- convert Armada's kilograms to tonnes, develop a list of gun types (Meson Blaster or Meson Gun?, and so forth)... and then we'll see what can be fit together. Are the Concordia in WC2 and the Concordia in the WC2 manual really different, or is one just not complete?

When all that's done, we should have a complete, concise list of all known Wing Commander ship stats. We can take that to work on projects like a complete 3D archive, a proper web based ships stat section and so on...

So what can you all do? Lots of stuff!

- List any ships you can think of -- regular versions, manual versions, special ace versions... any ship that looks different or has a different set of statistics!
- List any field you can think of -- length, mass... but especially odd ones like 'crew' or 'recharge'.
- Get VDU images! I'd like to include each ships VDU image on the spreadsheet... because it'd look cool!
- Correct my errors -- starting this week I'll post the current version of the spreadsheet ehre, and you can all correct it. Just like the map!
- Extract stats! I know almost nothing about this -- I can get 'em from some versions of WC1 and 2... but I'm lost on the other games! This'd be the biggest help.

Ooh, can't believe I missed this! Interesting, 'cause I've been keeping a database of various WC stats (which was useful in looking at the maps). Don't know why I bothered with a database, though, since I don't really do any cross-referencing, linking or anything like that - an Excel spreadsheet would have done the job just as well.

Anyway, the only problem with what I have done is I've only kept a single record for each ship. I've doubled up on some of them like Ferret -> Super Ferret, etc, but on ships with conflicting sources, I think I've chosen what I personally thought was the 'best' at the time (sometimes when I look back I think "why the heck did I choose that particular stat").

But is there anything specific you need me to do? Say, a particular game? Trouble is, I don't really want to do WCP/SO stats - I think Quarto already did a lot on them anyway. And I'm in the same problem - I can get WC1/2 in-game stats fairly easily, but I don't have much clue to getting WC3/4 stats.

Back