Secret Ops needed to run this game?

MBNX01

Spaceman
Standoff looks absolutely incredible! I really love the art with the look of the WC1/2 cockpits, only modernized - they look great.

But I'm wondering what you need to get it to run. I'm not that up on my WC history, but I think Secret Ops was a free download for Prophecy, is that right? And you need Secret Ops to run Standoff?

I do have a copy of Prophecy, but not SO. If you do need SO to run Standoff is there anyplace I could acquire a copy?

Thanks for any advice or information, this game looks fantasic and I'd love to be able to play it!

The full version of SO is indeed no longer legally available online. You can only get it nowadays if you buy Prophecy Gold (Prophecy + SO)... but the good news is that you don't need the full version of SO to play Standoff! :)

To play Standoff you need just the first episode of SO, and that is still legally available from the internet. The CIC has a mirror here: https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wcso

(You want the "Full English Starter Package")

Last edited by a moderator:
Any specifics on what all is needed?

I would like to package up this game to distribute for free in its entirety (to friends and stuff) and it would be great to have as little of the original SO files as possible (for less confusion).

I was wondering if it would even be possible to strip the original .tre files down to bare minimum to make them even smaller.

If I can't distribute the complete data.tre for free (from what I can tell that is the only file that is really changed between the commercial release and the starter package), then there isn't a lot of point in having all of Secret Ops (sans the missions) in this distribution of the game.

I wonder if I explained myself well...

Is the Standoff installation pack going to modify a Secret Ops installation or is it going to create its own directory and self contained package?

ChrisReid said:
Is the Standoff installation pack going to modify a Secret Ops installation or is it going to create its own directory and self contained package?
Standoff will have to be installed in the same directory as Secret Ops, but it won't modify the original game. Both Secret Ops and Standoff can then be run without interfering one another.

Nomad Terror said:
I was wondering if it would even be possible to strip the original .tre files down to bare minimum to make them even smaller.
That probably wouldn't be so easy. There are some things which we use from the original SO files (like, say, explosions and fonts), and we never felt the need to keep track of which files we were borrowing (and if one of those is missing, the game will crash).

One thing I'm pretty sure of, though... you don't need SO's speech or music files to have Standoff working with full speech, since we only use our own voiceovers and music... so it's probably safe to just use a speech-less version of the starter package (we don't need the full version's data.tre either). I think that'll cut down on file size a lot already.

ChrisReid said:
Like Pierre said, Standoff has to sit in the same folder as SO (like UE had), but doesn't modify any of SO's files, and you can play SO normally while Standoff is installed (they use different save folders and everything).

Standoff's basic package is about 5 DLL files (which contain the additions Standoff made to the engine - these don't interfere with SO), 2 EXE files (a Launcher and one that goes straight to the game) and 2 config files.. and then each episode will add a few TREs (episode 1 has about 5, the others will have something like 2 or maybe even 1 per episode).

Will Standoff "cooperate" with UE in the same directory or there will be a conflict ?

Can I have both games in the SO directory ? :confused:

Yes, you can have SO, UE and Standoff in the same folder. They don´t interfere with each other.

Eder, any definition on the e-mail (subj: Suggestion) I sent, based on Nomad Terror´s post on this thread?

EDIT: Never mind, Q answered it.

Do you have an estimate about how big episode one will be? We're trying to calculate bandwidth projections for the rest of the month.

Not entirely sure yet - we're hoping it will be under 50mb altogether, but we won't be certain until we've converted all the big elements (music, voiceovers, more voiceovers) into the game. We will let you know as soon as we've got a fairly accurate estimate.

Back