Saddam Hussein caught!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm coming in a bit late in this, but hey! It's good news! We might not be able to trust the media entirely cause they don't think that good news sells, so if they were willing to post this story all over the internet and such, I'm willing to place my bets that it really IS him.

And it was previously stated that the fate of Iraq doesn't rest on one man, but it sure does something for morale.

We're talking about combat humvees. Heavily (more or less) armored, with an ass-kickin turret on top. Much more easily taken down than an Abrams (which is what his original assignment was), but it'll still work pretty well, methinks.

SoDamn Insane is caught, that is pretty good news, he did look like crap didn't he. It looked like he broke his nose or something.
The news said that he is being turned back over to the people of Iraq for trial. Good idea, if we tried him in a UN court he would be put in prison for life or ten years whatever came first, and he would get out and make millions on writing books, or be elected president in Iraq again lol.
That must have been a pretty crappy life, living in holes in the ground for 8 months, he had a gun, I am amazed he didn't shoot himself. Come to think of it, it might be he didn't want to run anymore, and maybe not for a while, it could have been his loyalists that were dragging him around. Hmmmm...at least Bush finally did something right.

This was good news! Something I'm sure the world as a whole will be more than happy to hear about! (I know I am.) Hopefully this may lead to even better things. (Such as finding these WMD-hell, I'm all about the war, I just figured the govt. would plant them if they didn't find 'em. :) )

As for the new guy-I'd be more than happy to debate with you over the usefulness of Fox News, and any other news broadcasts, and all about their bias...but it's just not really worth my time. All news it biased, just because you don't like the slant they give, isn't saying they are a bad news agency. They do their job, period. (And I hope your not foolish enough to try to say people like CNN and such are biased.) But that's about enough of that topic!

Yeah, Old Man Winter was found in Iraq!

Don't give Bush credit for this, he didn't capture Saddam. Though this is definitely going to be a huge boost for him come election time, no doubt. Ah, well. Fantastic news.

Now if we could just find Osama bin Laden, all the evil stuff will finally go away and the entire world will be able to live in harmonious peace and frolic through the flowers together, hand-in-hand![/naive] :)

I was being a little sarcastic, I don't really like Bush to much.

Though when you listen to him, it sounds like he would be pretty good at telling stories, okay is is already does that but still.

Well, with luck, we'll have a better president after the '04 Elections and Bush can read to children at Barnes and Noble or someplace.

You are right, Lynx, he was no more than an old man hiding in a hole. He was defeated months ago when Baghdad was captured and, except for commanding some coward militias who would shoot people in the back, he wasn´t a real threat anymore.
And now he will get the punishment he deserves.

Ah, but how many old men hiding in holes in the ground did *you* catch this weekend?

(Four for me.)

Well, I don´t have 599 friends available to help me out. :D But I did see an armadillo coming out of a hole Saturday.

Still, while Saddam wasn´t a threat anymore, arresting him will surely demoralize any soldiers he still had.

Overmortal said:
We're talking about combat humvees. Heavily (more or less) armored, with an ass-kickin turret on top. Much more easily taken down than an Abrams (which is what his original assignment was), but it'll still work pretty well, methinks.
Actually, one major point of controversy a few weeks back is that the vast majority of the troops were driving around in non-reinforced Humvees--basically, ones without any armor (the other point of controversy was the fact that most troops didn't have Interceptor body armor, or the ceramic plates that go in the body armor). Sure, they have a big gun on the top, and you can fire out the windows, but they don't actually have any more armor than your average large SUV. The new reinforced Humvees that they're sending over now have bulletproof glass and other bits of protection, but they still sound to me like they wouldn't take an RPG.

The troops have been "armoring" their Humvees with MRE boxes full of sand, which probably works pretty well, but strictly speaking, no, most of the Humvees in Iraq are not armored. The brigade that captured Saddam was a bit special, though, so perhaps they had priority for the better equipment. I heard on the news today that they just avoided tossing a grenade into Saddam's hole... he managed to surrender just in time.

OK, I've been reading along in this forum for the last couple of days and I have a few comments. One, Saddam was found in the "spider hole" hiding. Hiding, that's it. He didn't live in the hole, he just went there when U.S. troops were in the area. Second, there were rumors of Saddam going around Baghdad in a taxi. A taxi was found in close proximity to his hiding location thus giving a little credibility to those rumors. Third, he has gotten more tanned due to living outside of his lush presidential palaces. Not in a dirt hole. Four, there are armored humvees but the armor is light and only meant to stop small arms, not explosives or RPGs. Usually the armor consists of steel plating inside of the doors and kevlar panelling. But armored humvees are few and far between. Most humvees have thin doors similar to the type found on civilian jeeps and you can light someone up in a humvee with a .22 if you wanted to. And finally, Sigma is a moron.

GeeBot said:
Actually, one major point of controversy a few weeks back is that the vast majority of the troops were driving around in non-reinforced Humvees--basically, ones without any armor (the other point of controversy was the fact that most troops didn't have Interceptor body armor, or the ceramic plates that go in the body armor). Sure, they have a big gun on the top, and you can fire out the windows, but they don't actually have any more armor than your average large SUV. The new reinforced Humvees that they're sending over now have bulletproof glass and other bits of protection, but they still sound to me like they wouldn't take an RPG.

Actually they're just now deploying several hundred brand new Stryker vehicles. They're armored like a tank but move on wheels like a hummvee. The first Brigdade is from Seattle so they show them on the news here all day.

I'd like to point out to those of you who like to trash the President (any American President) that, if you're an American citizen, you should probably be supporting your leader (for good or bad) because he's your fuckin leader, assholes.

I get so God damned fucking sick of Americans talking their shit about how "America is such a bad place. I hate America". Know what? If you hate America, and her President, so God damned much, go the hell somewhere else, fucking hippie. I'm sure you'll be MUCH happier in, say Russia? Or China? Or, since it's such a hot topic, go live in Iraq. Since America is such a "horrible and corrupt" place, you'll like it somewhere else a lot more.

As for me, I'm proud of our President. He's not perfect, but neither is anyone else. He's been a good President, and done his part to keep our morale up in the face of a lot of hard shit. God Bless America!

I know there've only been a few things of that nature said in this thread, but this has been building up for a while now, and I've finally had enough of whiny-assed peoples' shit.

Overmortal: I think you bring up some pretty good points about the trashing of the President, and why people shouldn't do it, but in the end I think you miss the greater arguement for free speech. Being able to trash the president or complain about government policies we don't like (like Mr. Bush's foriegn policy) is a given American right and Americans with all due respect need to exercise it more (not in reference to Mr. Bush or his policies which I happen to agree with but with all policies our government undertakes.)

Using the context that in a time of emergency one should not question our leaders or what they are doing with their power is a joke. That is how dictatorships get started and the rights to play games like Wing Commander and watch a bunch of women wearing thongs running around a beach, get taken away due to government enforcement. Without an appropriate system of questioning our leaders and those in charge, we threaten democracy itself, the same type of democracy that George Bush I believe fights to protect. While although the recent bitching and moaning in the democratic primary is pissing me off since the dems have yet to offer any real solutions, I take pride in that we can talk about our government, not only that I encourage it. After all if it wasn't for a bunch of guys bitching about the government (and eventually doing something about it) 230 some years ago this country wouldn't even exist.

Bitching is good, and while although I feel you are more defending Bush rather than supporting a random stripping of rights, I think sometimes those who share your methodology forget how important bitching about the government is. Not to be corny but it is very patriotic to engage in bitching, and not supporting our leaders. Its called democracy sir, and if you don't like it you can go elsewhere...

After all if it wasn't for a bunch of guys bitching about the government (and eventually doing something about it) 230 some years ago this country wouldn't even exist.

... and I think we *all* know who one of those people was. :)

(Obligatory political comment: maybe Wing Commander has ruined me for real life, but these Democrat candidates are coming off as two dimensional Forstchen villains... they had one on MSNBC the other week claiming (re: Bush's rumored moon plan) that we have "too much to do on Earth to throw money at the space program".)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back