running WC3 PS1 on an AMD athlon XP 1,6 GHz

meisdavidp said:
You tried gamefaqs.com?
just did, but no codes. I'm still winning the missions so far, but the combo's are a pain, afterburner takes 2 keys (wich you need all te time, and for autopilot you need to press 4 buttons simultaneously (often, it won't work & I need to repeat it 10 times, losing decoys in the process (another 2 button combo), I guess I'm spoiled by the easy controls of the PC version. :eek:

Did anyone manage to get a mouse working with the ePSXe emulator, and could it work for WC3? (if I try enabling it, the keyboard mouvement keys stop working, but the mouse doesn't react) Maybe it only works with a COM-port mouse? :confused:

Confed said:
just did, but no codes. I'm still winning the missions so far, but the combo's are a pain, afterburner takes 2 keys (wich you need all te time, and for autopilot you need to press 4 buttons simultaneously (often, it won't work & I need to repeat it 10 times, losing decoys in the process (another 2 button combo), I guess I'm spoiled by the easy controls of the PC version. :eek:

Did anyone manage to get a mouse working with the ePSXe emulator, and could it work for WC3? (if I try enabling it, the keyboard mouvement keys stop working, but the mouse doesn't react) Maybe it only works with a COM-port mouse? :confused:

As long as it's not the rumble version, a usb gamepad is relatively cheap (although it's not a very large amount more for rumble effects, but WC3 doesnt support it anyway, though WC4psx does). It atleast makes the button combos easier to do. I haven't tried the mouse yet but I'll experiment a little and let you know what happens.

AD said:
As long as it's not the rumble version, a usb gamepad is relatively cheap (although it's not a very large amount more for rumble effects, but WC3 doesnt support it anyway, though WC4psx does). It atleast makes the button combos easier to do. I haven't tried the mouse yet but I'll experiment a little and let you know what happens.
Thx for experimenting with thos mouse settings, maybe you'll have more luck than me.
btw, I just saw a scene for the first time (not in the PC version & not on the CIC site either). How did Tolwyn extract those HQ scene's ? Maybe I can do the same for the rest of the missing scenes & the CIC can host them too

In reponse to your keyboard/controls experiments, you know you can actually set up the controls in the ePSXe settings which simply refers to the exacts buttons expected on the PSX joystick.
Doing that helped me FINALLY complete WC3 - though I still prefer the PC version.

Confed said:
Thx for experimenting with thos mouse settings, maybe you'll have more luck than me.
btw, I just saw a scene for the first time (not in the PC version & not on the CIC site either). How did Tolwyn extract those HQ scene's ? Maybe I can do the same for the rest of the missing scenes & the CIC can host them too

What scene was it?

Confed said:

I'm pretty sure Tolwyn and others just recorded it with a tape player and or video capture card. It is also possible to record with Fraps though but you need to pay for a version that will let you record more than 30 seconds in one shot.

ChrisReid said:
What scene was it?
it was an extra long version of the scene where Hobbes & Cobra are arguing on the flight deck (Hobbes explains the theory of how the jump point in Ariel was cloacked)
In my opinion, it shouldn't have been cut in the PC version, but maybe there wasn't enough room on the CD's anymore for those scenes.
(Tolwyn's HQ avi's - particularly of Hobbes' Holo vid - was the main reason I decided to buy the PSX version)
AD said:
I'm pretty sure Tolwyn and others just recorded it with a tape player and or video capture card. It is also possible to record with Fraps though but you need to pay for a version that will let you record more than 30 seconds in one shot.
I'll look for that "fraps" software & try it (I think the extra part of the scene isn't more than 30 seconds anyway)
Don said:
In reponse to your keyboard/controls experiments, you know you can actually set up the controls in the ePSXe settings which simply refers to the exacts buttons expected on the PSX joystick.
Doing that helped me FINALLY complete WC3 - though I still prefer the PC version.
I know you can change the assigned keys, but there is also an option to use a mouse in that menu, but I can't get it to work

OK, i've recorded the extra scene with fraps (it's about 26 seconds, so I was able to record it in 1 file), but the file is around 61 MB, how do I compress the avi ?
The DivX Converter from divx.com won't accept the file ("invalid video stream")

Confed said:
OK, i've recorded the extra scene with fraps (it's about 26 seconds, so I was able to record it in 1 file), but the file is around 61 MB, how do I compress the avi ?
The DivX Converter from divx.com won't accept the file ("invalid video stream")

Use some other kind of video editing software like virtualdub or even windows movie maker and see if that works. If all else fails see what you can come up with as a way for me to download the whole thing and I'll convert it here (or better yet, tell me exactly where it is and I'll try and play through the game to that point...)

On another note, I did try the settings for mouse but didnt seem to accomplish anything either. Plus, it wouldnt even let me map the buttons to various functions (which would have been an interesting experiment seeing how it's an eight button mouse). Is your mouse USB? Maybe try getting one of those USB to ps2 adaptors and see it it works any better plugged into the ps2 port.

If you've got raw avi, your best bet is going to be using virtualdubmod (or virtualdub, matter of preference) to compress it into fourCC-compatible XviD. This allows for a quite nice compression to quality ratio. Btw, does the large avi file include sound? if so you should definately compress it to mp3. PM me if you need info about how to do any of this and I should be able to get back to you with a week at the most. I'm on the forums a lot less actively lately since I'm on dialup til Sunday.

Also, If you go to the ePSXe homepage (I don't remember the URL) there should be links to a forum that has all the most recent plugins. You may just need a better mouse controller plugin. I could be wrong, but I believe the psx may have had a mouse peripheral like the SNES did and that may be what the controller plugin is refering to. I haven't messed with psx emulation in a while, though, so I could be wrong.

Lastly, for those thinking of getting a psx style usb gamepad, I'm just going to say I've had a generally crummy time working with the Logitech one I've got... I forget what it is exactly, but it's the same as a dualforce without the force feedback. The left digital pad seems to be very inaccurate... which is painful when you try to emulate N64 games and run out of places to map the numerous buttons of the Sharkpad. Only being able to play Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time justifies it.

meisdavidp said:
If you've got raw avi, your best bet is going to be using virtualdubmod (or virtualdub, matter of preference) to compress it into fourCC-compatible XviD. This allows for a quite nice compression to quality ratio. Btw, does the large avi file include sound? if so you should definately compress it to mp3. PM me if you need info about how to do any of this and I should be able to get back to you with a week at the most. I'm on the forums a lot less actively lately since I'm on dialup til Sunday.

I wouldn't recommend compressing it as anything other than a divx. I understand that xvid is relatively popular, but the majority of our visitors don't bother with video codecs and things like that. The majority of our encoded videos are already divx. There quality/compression difference is really going to be minimal here, and with divx you'll have a lot less people who'll get errors trying to play the file.

AD said:
(or better yet, tell me exactly where it is and I'll try and play through the game to that point...)
The avi is now compressed to less than 7MB :
http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=3ae74f8
I can also email to you if you PM me an address.
The scene is right after the last Ariel mission. (the one with the cloacked jump point, almost at the end of CD3)
AD said:
On another note, I did try the settings for mouse but didnt seem to accomplish anything either. Plus, it wouldnt even let me map the buttons to various functions (which would have been an interesting experiment seeing how it's an eight button mouse). Is your mouse USB? Maybe try getting one of those USB to ps2 adaptors and see it it works any better plugged into the ps2 port.
My mouse is USB & I already use a USB to ps2 adaptor. It doesn't work. However I don't have a com-port mouse anymore. Maybe that would work.

Back