Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

The install program is still asking for the CD even though I copied the contents of the CD to my hard drive.

yeah i have the same problem i copied everything that was on the CD to my hard drive, and installed it from there. But when i went to run "priv.exe" it says, "privateer CD not found. JEMM unloaded" what can i do to get it to work??

oh well i have been trying for over an hour trying to get it to work so i give up. im prolly leaving this forum since i will never be able to play the game again. But thanks to everyone that tried to help.

Make sure the end of your config file looks like this (though the directories at the end may be different)

[dos]
xms=true
ems=false

[modem]
modem=false
comport=2
listenport=23

[directserial]
directserial=false
comport=1
realport=COM1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount c c:\
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd privater
priv

Also I have mine set to 15000 cycles and frameskip 1. Use General Midi for Music and Sound Blaster Pro/16 (whichever is the best there) for SoundFX. Works flawlessly.

wc3 dosbox

I read this post and matched my config filre for dosbox to yours for wc3 and I get this error message about a missing JEMM file. What does that mean? and how do I fix that? thanks

Wing Commander IV

Okay, folks, here's my deal: I've mounted the c: drive to the appropriate area (c:\wingcommander\wc4, this being the folder I copied the game files to), and then typed INSTALL to install the sucker. I get this:

ORIGIN SYSTEMS DPMI LOADER. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PRODUCED BY BLU MU PRODUCTIONS, LAST REVISION: JANUARY 22, 1996.

EMS driver is not VCPI compliant.

I'm a retard when it comes to computers. So any help would be great. Thanks!

Hey, nevermind... I found the Win95 patch in the Files section, so I got the game working A-OK. Now I'm off to play WC4 for the first time... (not counting the mutilated PSX version)

i'm new to this,but i'll try to explain my stiuation i've been trying to use dosbox .63 and dfend-V2 to run Wing Commander 2 but when it gets to where the main character
and shadow are talking before the first mission it just stops and dosbox closes itself, i was wondering if anyone could help...

That's normal. you have to run "loadfix" before starting Wing Commander II. - That should fix it ;)
If you still got probs, check out my dosbox.conf for Wing Commander II in this Thread (It's post #12)

I've tried some of the suggestions in this thread to get my CD Version of Wing Commander II Deluxe to run properly. I'm trying to play the SO1 and everything works fine until I autopilot to the first nav and then the game craps out on me completely. There is an error message alongs the lines of Illegal call 7 made.

I've tried running loadfix with 1, 32, and 64 parameters. Running with anything higher than 1 gives me an error message before the game loads saying memory couldn't be reserved and x amount will be freed. Running with loadfix 1 causes the same problem to occur.

I've read other people have had problems with the Deluxe version of WC2. If anyone could offer a solution I would be incredibly thankful. Btw I'm running Windows XP Pro and Dosbox 0.63.

I seemed to have solved the problem. I am using d-fend to setup profiles for my games. There is a checkbox in D-fend for each game profile under Profile Settings to enable loadfix and select the amount of memory reserved. This method did not seem to work for me. However, when I unchecked this option and enter "loadfix -32" in the Autoexec tab of the profile things worked fine after I autopiloted in the first mission.

If anyone could explain to me why one method worked and the other didn't please do. I also figure this may be useful to others who may be struggling with WC 2 Deluxe CD Edition.

Ugh...

I wish I knew more about computers, but I'm trying to get Privateer to run through DosBox. Like someone earlier in this thread, I'm getting this and have no idea what to do:

"Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option, if it is replace the options "NOEMS" with "RAM".

I've tried changing ems=true to false and vice-versa. Nada.

Need Help With Wciii

I am having the same problem posted near the top of this forum with getting the error message (open failed on file: ...\...\data\sound\gfsample.iff) I cant figure out how to get mscdex activated and working. If anybody can tell me how, or a different method around this PLEASE SHARE. :(

Just copy the whole thing to a hard drive folder and mount it. Avoid mscdex altogether.

Dralthi5 said:
"Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option, if it is replace the options "NOEMS" with "RAM".

I've tried changing ems=true to false and vice-versa. Nada.

Certainly sounds like a problem related to that. The message is telling you that it needs EMS enabled, but we've previously established that in DOSBox you need to disable EMS to run Privateer (it's not necessary in Privateer and beyond). Have you played with any other settings?

Skyler said:
I am having the same problem posted near the top of this forum with getting the error message (open failed on file: ...\...\data\sound\gfsample.iff) I cant figure out how to get mscdex activated and working. If anybody can tell me how, or a different method around this PLEASE SHARE. :(

Once again the solution is already posted in post#12 in the DOSBox.conf file for WCIII.
most important parts:
mount cd-rom drive as cd-rom drive
ems=false
CPU core set at dynamic core is faster, but most likely not that stable

Anyway, for WCIII at Ok speeds you need more than 3GHz, at least according to my experience even that is not fast enough :(

ChrisReid said:
Certainly sounds like a problem related to that. The message is telling you that it needs EMS enabled, but we've previously established that in DOSBox you need to disable EMS to run Privateer (it's not necessary in Privateer and beyond). Have you played with any other settings?

All right, I think I was just being dumb. I've fixed that problem, but I have another...

I install the game and type "priv" but it says "Privateer CD not found. JEMM unloaded." I've looked through the rest of this thread for options. I copied all the files from the CD to the hard-drive, but no luck. Any suggestions?

Back