Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

Okay, just tried the winstall. Has me pick out the options, soundcard, digitized voices, that stuff. Tried to play, still end up with the infinite wait screen. In which case, seeing as how every other file was manually copied over piece by piece, I suppose it is likely those three .com files which refuse to copy over with everything else.

Okay, just tried the winstall. Has me pick out the options, soundcard, digitized voices, that stuff. Tried to play, still end up with the infinite wait screen. In which case, seeing as how every other file was manually copied over piece by piece, I suppose it is likely those three .com files which refuse to copy over with everything else.

You shouldn't need the *.com files though. Wc2.exe and so1.exe and so2.exe are freezing? what methods are you using to play this? Are you using dosbox?

Indeed I am using Dosbox. It freezes at the following after a supposedly successful installation.

Loading Wing Commander 2. Please wait...
Expanded Memory Detected.

And that's where it stops.

Indeed I am using Dosbox. It freezes at the following after a supposedly successful installation.

Loading Wing Commander 2. Please wait...
Expanded Memory Detected.

And that's where it stops.

What did you pick for sound settings? Make sure they match your dosbox settings. The default dosbox IRQ is 7 for example. Also, iIf dosbox is not set to emulate a roland MPU-401 choosing it might make the game hang.

Currently it's set to emulate Sb16. Would that be the same as Creative Labs Sound Blaster? Because that's what Wc2 is set for. Also, the setup process doesn't prompt me for an IRQ or a DMA.

you also need to type "loadfix -16" before the wc2.exe executable.

That should only matter after the first mission.

SB16 is the same as soundblaster,yes. Also, did you enable EMS? Make sure ems=true in your dosbox.conf file.

Sidewinder, DosBox .72 and WC1

Hey all,

I tried to find an answer to my problem, but didn't see it.

I have the game running on DosBox on an XP box, no problems. I have sound, the whole game seems to be fine... except:

Problem is that my sidewinder is very jerky - if I'm in combat, and I see an enemy fighter that's a millimetre (on screen and from a good distance) out of my sights, a slight press to the right and I've jerked a whole centimetre, which means he's completely out of my sights.

Is there any way to make the control more precise? I seem to remember this game allowing pinpoint accuracy, which I currently am incapable of having.

I know the sidewinder is configured and callibrated properly. I have no problems running it on other emulators (nintendo, genesis, etc...)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey all,

I tried to find an answer to my problem, but didn't see it.

I have the game running on DosBox on an XP box, no problems. I have sound, the whole game seems to be fine... except:

Problem is that my sidewinder is very jerky - if I'm in combat, and I see an enemy fighter that's a millimetre (on screen and from a good distance) out of my sights, a slight press to the right and I've jerked a whole centimetre, which means he's completely out of my sights.

Is there any way to make the control more precise? I seem to remember this game allowing pinpoint accuracy, which I currently am incapable of having.

Alternately you could see if there's a WC2 option for decreasing the Joystick's deadzone.

I know the sidewinder is configured and callibrated properly. I have no problems running it on other emulators (nintendo, genesis, etc...)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You could try playing with the "timed" option in the dosbox config file. Try switching it to the opposite of whatever it's set to so if it's "true" set it to "false."

That's what I was doing. I only have the CD as a means to get the game files, but when I attempt to copy the WING2 Directory from the CD, it gives me the error about the .com files, and then stops the copy-over. I have gone through and manually taken every file from the WING2 directory (except the .com's) on the CD one-by-one, but then I'm left with the never-ending wait screen. I thought maybe the .com files were nessecery for the game to load. If they aren't the problem, then I have no earthly idea what the true cause could be.

The .com files are not required. This sounds like a separate problem. After you copied the files off the CD, did you go into the file attributes and make sure they're not set to Read Only?

problem WC3

Hi,

I have a problem with WC3. I finaly got it to work on vista (never thought it would) and I even got the music right and tackled the 'arrow-keys' issue (ctrl+K), but when I'm in close combat, my ship reacts very slow making even the first mission almost impossible to win.

I've found bits and pieces here and there, but is there one simple solution for this problem?

Thx!

BTW, great idea to let people post without any 'sing-in'-things.

greetings from a Belgian WC-fan since the very beginning!

Hi,

I have a problem with WC3. I finaly got it to work on vista (never thought it would) and I even got the music right and tackled the 'arrow-keys' issue (ctrl+K), but when I'm in close combat, my ship reacts very slow making even the first mission almost impossible to win.

I've found bits and pieces here and there, but is there one simple solution for this problem?

Thx!

BTW, great idea to let people post without any 'sing-in'-things.

greetings from a Belgian WC-fan since the very beginning!

This is the dos version in dosbox right? What are your dosbox core and cycle settings if you have it set to auto it might not be giving it quite enough juice. Have you tried setting it to dynamic core with cycles in the 35000 to 70000 range? (also too many cycles will have the same effect, making the game stutter).

Hi. I seem to have a problem with WC2 with digitized sounds when running under dosbox. Basically i can hear the music, and all of the sound effects, just not speech. If i run the game from a cd, i can hear speech just fine, however running from the cd pauses the game for a few seconds every half a minute or so. Any suggestions?
By the way, i am using the loadfix command.

Hi. I seem to have a problem with WC2 with digitized sounds when running under dosbox. Basically i can hear the music, and all of the sound effects, just not speech. If i run the game from a cd, i can hear speech just fine, however running from the cd pauses the game for a few seconds every half a minute or so. Any suggestions?
By the way, i am using the loadfix command.

Did you enable EMS in your dosbox config file? Also double check your soundcard config

Yes, ems is enabled. I also tried running the dos box without the loadfix command and the speech works! However, whenever i try to autopilot the game just freezes. So i have to use loadfix. I don't get why loadfix might be causing the speech not to work.

I think i fixed the problem. I used a loadfix command with a low number such as a 8 or a 4 and i got the speech back! Using 8 is better than using 4. When using 4, the game sometimes froze when a cut scene was supposed to be played (for example broadsword refueling)

For anyone experiencing the same problem as I had, use loadfix -8 wc2 when trying to play.

That's interesting. I wonder if different numbers are better or worse for different people. I would think not, since one of the great things about DOSBox is how it recreates a really stable uniform environment (makes troubleshooting here much easier), but there have been a bunch of people that have centered on a particular number that they really like after the loadfix.

wc4 dvd won't play video

i am running a intel dual core 1.8ghz with intel graphics media accelerator.
i can install and play wc4dvd but the video cut scenes won't play.

any suggestions ???

i am running a intel dual core 1.8ghz with intel graphics media accelerator.
i can install and play wc4dvd but the video cut scenes won't play.

any suggestions ???

you need to download the fix for the DVD movies.

extract http://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/dxmci12.zip into your WC4 directory. If that doesn't work by itself you may also need to extract this one as well and then run the register.bat program. (FYI it's not registering somewhere on the internet) . If that fixes it but you have no sound you may need to search for and install 'AC3filter'.

Righteous Fire not loading existing ship

Hey Privateer fans,
I've recently tried to get Righteous Fire to work with Dosbox and all is well except when I start up RF, I can't load an existing saved game file (can't select the "Load" option, and if I choose "New"...I can't do anything. Any thoughts on this? All files are saved in the same file, the game starts up (with sound and speech). I am using DosBox V.72.
Thanks for any help. Please let me know of existing thread if it exists (I tried to look for one).
-Bigleedog

Back