Ritual suicide

Yes, I don't see why so many Westerners have trouble accepting the existence of other cultures.

Earthworm, Kalkrath: Go to the library, and find a book about the Japanese culture. Preferably one that goes into great detail about ritual suicide.

No thank you. I'll stick to my WC books.
wink.gif

And I by no means do I have problens understanding other cultures, it's just isn't <switching to Mr. Spock voice> logical <end Mr. Spock transmition> Why waist a perfectly good life, at least let that Cat die by taking out a Confed capship (doesen't need to be a huge capship, a corvete maybe, or a destroyer)

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 25, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of peculiarities in any culture. And what about all those people who kill themselves (albeit slowly) by smoking and/or drinking heavily? As you said, why waste a perfectly good life?

But people that smoke and drink heavily are just stupid. The Kilrathi on the other hand are not logical.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Kalkrath: It's human nature. Them and us. Get them before they get us. Which is why I'm always so surprised when people rant about the Kilrathi being evil. Look at things objectively. They're no worse than any present-day nation. It's just that we always compare them with the "ideal" of human civilisation, which is represented by the "noble" Terran Confederation.
"The Kilrathi do not coexist."
"All across Europe, an Iron Curtain..."

I don't care if they're stupid, Earthworm. They are aware of what they're doing to themselves, and still do it. There's no logic in that.
Oh, and the Kilrathi are raised to believe that they have to be obedient, honourable, and so on. Zu'kara may not seem logical to you or me, but it seems damned logical to them.

Yes, I don't see why so many Westerners have trouble accepting the existence of other cultures.

That isn't really fair... It's too much of a generalization Quarto... Most Westerners (at least those that I know) have no problem accepting other cultures...

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

[This message has been edited by TC (edited January 25, 2000).]

That also depends on how the person was raised, the surroundings, etc.

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

TC: You're right. It was a generalisation. And I did it on purpose, borrowing one of Byydo's favourite techniques (make people feel guilty in order to encourage them to accept new ideas) to make you all think about it. I'm glad you caught it, because it means that you at least have no trouble accepting other cultures
smile.gif

Klaus: It depends on basically everything that ever happens to a person.

Stop talking like Byydo... and talk like Quarto... That makes things less confusing... (Hey... I use a hell of a lot of ... s ... especially in this post... I really shouldn't.... but I like dramatic .............. pause...)
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

But I like talking like Byydo... En Taro Byydo!
smile.gif

But, for the sake of your limited understanding capacity (j/k), I'll talk more like myself
smile.gif

Well I should be offended... but since I expect my smilies to save other people from offence, I shall allow yours to do the same...
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

The only cultural things that I won't accept for any reason are ritual sacrifice of any sort, foot binding & FGM. Otherwise I'm pretty much open minded.

Back to the discussion. The Kilrathi commit Zu'kara when they do something wrong. In their belief if you mess up, no matter how trivial your mistake was, you have to pay the ultimate price - in this case death. It is the result of an extremist view - can't coexist, to do so would be a sign of weakness. They never seem to consider that coexistence might actually be beneficial. AFAIK the Kilrathi stole a lot of their technology & this got them into wars with other species. As far as the Kilrathi were concerned if they won then they were superior & that's what being a Kilrathi is all about. Keep in mind that Kilrah isn't quite as nice as Earth & the Kilrathi have had to fight for their survival since their first evolved into current states. Humanity on the other hand didn't face extinction until the Kilrathi came along. The Kilrathi could only survive by getting rid of the weak. Humanity on the other hand can survive with the 'weak.' Tolwyn's genetically enhanced BL was unable to match the regular pilots of the UBW. It's all different concepts. Humans praise their individuality - it doesn't matter if you suck at one thing, you're probably good at another. The Kilrathi don't take this view. In order to survive they need a centralised command structure with only one view, one purpose. Anyone challenging this organised structure is seen as a threat & must be eliminated. That's why dictatorships are more brutal than democracies. Due to the inherent brutal nature of their societal makeup the Kilrathi need honor to guarantee that the system works. Without honor the system would collapse because Kilrathi would continously backstab each other. Therefore any betrayal of the honor code has to be dealt with severely because of it's perceived threat. Humans don't have this because we're more open & accepting. It like when a officer asks for volunteers - anyone that doesn't volunteer isn't considered a weakling, a turncoat or a coward.

------------------
Politician: "We need an urgent review of MMP."
Aide: "Mixed Member Proportional?"
Politician: "MY MEASLY PAY PACKET!!!"
The Politician by David Fletcher

Kalkrath: Huh? Oh, I see how you could be confused. The smoking and stuff was my reply to Earthworm. My reply to yours is a bit further down. You can't miss it. It starts with the usual "Kalkrath:" and ends with quotes from Angel and Churchill.

Penguin: Yes, indeed (on all counts). And foot binding is just disturbing (I guess not even I am totally open minded... Ah, well).

If everyone that's affected wants to do it... I say fine, let them. If someone that it will affect negatively doesn't want to then it isn't right...

(Quarto... New concept there... starting a response with the person's name, I can see why he was confused)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

TC: Actually, the confusing part was that I didn't do it when I was replying to Earthworm. But had Kalkrath bothered to read all the posts...

Well... If you had been paying attention
smile.gif
If at any point in the message it has your name followed by a colon it normally means that that part is responding to your message and not any of the rest of it... (I know... Let's all blame Delance... It can be just like Alt.Games.Wing-Commander
smile.gif
)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Back