RIP VHS

Most 'Light Guns' need a 60Hz CTR Monitor in order to work properly. Some exotic guns also work with 100Hz ones. It would be possible to create guns that work with TFTs, but only by artificially create some sort of noise in the image. IIRC there was one that did this for the PC.

Also note that "Shutter Glasses" (3D Glasses) either won't work very well (30 Hz) or not at all (same polarity in the glasses and on the screen - this is happening to me, I see a black screen) with TFT displays.

Very few people even remember LasrDisc, so I am impressed with the above reference. I remember seeing Jurassic Park on a fully surround sound LaserDisc set up... very cool.

Streaming is where it will lead to. Though, there wont be a depletion of the physical side of media, the need to have it available to you right then and there, and not have to move (sadly, since this day-in-age people would rather just sit around instead of venture outside), is going to sky rocket more than it has. Hence why iTunes is having such a good sales age. Gamestop jumped on the bandwagon of Steam (Valve) and EA, with now allowing downloadable games. Though brand new releases wont be able to be downloaded, top of the line games like COD:4 and GoW:1 are already pressed and formatted for download off of the website. Quite a leap if you ask me. I still think reading off of a disk is better than straight off of your HD. This process is more visable when you download onto your XBox HD. Halo for instance, when that became downloadable (Halo 3 that is) it flat out stated that Bungie recommends you DO NOT do it, as it will cause longer load times and possible crashes because of how much is needed to be streaming. Maybe the newer systems coming out (or in Sony's case, already out) this wont be a problem.

But yeah, DVD's, CD's, BR's wont leave us anytime soon. Though the Flash concept is emerging rather well. And I think it would be kind of cool to have something like what was mentioned: Flash drive, or card based readers on your T.V.s that have the recently rented movie on them. That would be kind of fun.

I think flash memory is the way of the future when it comes to owning physical copies of media. It's almost infinitely expandable and requires no moving parts so very little energy and very few possibilities of mechanical breakdown.

Though future generations might not be as sentimental and owning hard copies of something will probably become less necessary. I could see PC games disappearing of the shelves entirely within only a decade or two. They practically have already.

Most 'Light Guns' need a 60Hz CTR Monitor in order to work properly. Some exotic guns also work with 100Hz ones. It would be possible to create guns that work with TFTs, but only by artificially create some sort of noise in the image

I have a 100hz television and the xbox light gun works on it, the technology of the light gun was designed for CRT, as all lightguns were based on thesame tech that magnavox used for the shooting gallery shotgun with their oddysee console(1972), and it could even run on a black-and-white set, my guess would be that even that gun could work, the problem that i heard about was that a tft could not produce the "hidden scan line", but i'm not sure about this. I've heard that there is a workaround using some kind of detection sensors that you could put on a TFT/Plasma's four edges, if this is true that i could also simply place them on a wall and use a projector as a display, now THAT i'd find interisting.

the problem that i heard about was that a tft could not produce the "hidden scan line", but i'm not sure about this.

You can also just introduce an artificial line scan into the image. Imagine a red dot that wanders around the screen, line by line. Not really a problem there except that either the software per se has to do it or there has to be a piece of hardware between the PC/console and the TV that inserts this noise.

You know I actually have that as a possible topic in my thread 'Honest Confusion'

...and to be honest...

It was a stand-alone... addon... expansion... and spin off all at the same time

::runs off::

Very few people even remember LasrDisc, so I am impressed with the above reference.
Nay, I remember LaserDisc, if only because we had a party at my friend's house and watched a few movies on LaserDisc. This was way back in 1995, so DVDs weren't around then. Certainly not in the consumer market the way it is today, at any rate.

Nay, I remember LaserDisc, if only because we had a party at my friend's house and watched a few movies on LaserDisc. This was way back in 1995, so DVDs weren't around then. Certainly not in the consumer market the way it is today, at any rate.

I can't say I have any memories including laser discs. I do remember that back in the good old 80s we had this disc player... I believe they were called CED discs? The thing was a piece of crap! I was the fool who saw the Sega CD and was like, "Video games on CDs? Yeah this won't last long!"

Attachments

• F13CED.jpg
    F13CED.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 128
Laserdiscs were actually pretty need, your´e also more carefull of the discs since they are so large. I remeber it actually looking better then VideoCD´s-CD/I, and some purists say that movies like `twister` or `ben hur` Actually were better on Laserdisc then they were on DVD, since Laserdisc has no compression(so no loss) of any kind.

By the end of the 90's I believe that there were only like two or three stores in this country still selling them. The players were also very expensive. And very few rental titles in the video store.

I can't say I have any memories including laser discs. I do remember that back in the good old 80s we had this disc player... I believe they were called CED discs? The thing was a piece of crap! I was the fool who saw the Sega CD and was like, "Video games on CDs? Yeah this won't last long!"

Hah... it seemed like cartridges would be with us forever, yeah. Even Nintendo thought so.

Hah... it seemed like cartridges would be with us forever, yeah. Even Nintendo thought so.
Yeah, that's why they were one of the first to jump on the CD bandwagon, getting together with a company called Sony to develop a CD-based console :p. Of course, it's true that they backed out eventually and Sony went on to develop the PlayStation alone, but I don't think this had anything to do with Nintendo suddenly deciding cartridges would remain around forever.

Back