Replaying Privateer 2 after two decades and questions

KongoOtto

Spaceman
Hi there,

i'm replaying Privateer 2 after two decades.
Using the gog Version and the Enhancement Patch 3

Everything works so fine and i'm immediately got sucked in to the Tri-System.

I even get by beloved Sidewinder 3D working (except the z-axis 🙁) but i basically remember almost every keybinding so far.

Got two questions right now:

1. There should be a potential problem with the (random?) side missions stored on the original CD order.

How do i make sure to not miss out those mission by accident.

2. I'm a bit confused by the jump gates.

I can't use them with my hired cargo ship, got simply repelled when i try to fly through them.
Did they only let single ships through?

Thx

I don't know about the jump gate issue, but when the patch was released the patch creator said that the patch simulates a CD change so you shouldn't have to worry about the random encounters not triggering. However, because the patch is detecting when the game prompts for a CD change certain missions won't spawn until you get to a place or point that requires a CD change just as would have happened if you were playing from the actual cds. That said, you can basically force a CD change by editing CD.DAT and changing the number to whichever CD you're interested in if there's a specific one you are hoping will get triggered.

Have you got the credits to pay the toll on the jump gate? It might be you have to pay x2 if you have a transport as well.

Last edited:
So I am doing the same thing at the same time (playing priv 2 - except I never beat the 2nd one, just the first one) and after installing what I believe to be the most update to date unofficial patch (https://www.wcnews.com/news/2014/09/30/the-darkening-s-enhancement-patch-gets-even-better) to my GOG version, I have no sound in space (music works fine) and no sound on the static screens when you are on a planet.... also, I started a run before seeing this patch, and it seems I cannot load those old save games with the new patch installed -is there any way around this so I don't have to re-play the first part of the game again?

Also, does this patch do anything to address the insanely high number of enemy ship respawns? I have like 100 kills after 10 missions, I used to not get that much in an entire WC game...

Finally, should I even do this or would it be a better idea to just play freelancer or elite or some other spiritual successor? It is already clear to me that this game isn't as good as the original, but is it good enough to justify going through all this trouble? I am very tempted to stop playing this (or at least stop after I get to a part with Christopher Walken, can't wait to see him in this lol) and just fire up the DLC for the original instead (which I also haven't finished)

So I am doing the same thing at the same time (playing priv 2 - except I never beat the 2nd one, just the first one) and after installing what I believe to be the most update to date unofficial patch (https://www.wcnews.com/news/2014/09/30/the-darkening-s-enhancement-patch-gets-even-better) to my GOG version, I have no sound in space (music works fine) and no sound on the static screens when you are on a planet.... also, I started a run before seeing this patch, and it seems I cannot load those old save games with the new patch installed -is there any way around this so I don't have to re-play the first part of the game again?
Try to fiddle around with the sound setting in the dosbox_privateer2.conf.
I don't know about the savegames but i doubt there's a solution to that.
Also, does this patch do anything to address the insanely high number of enemy ship respawns? I have like 100 kills after 10 missions, I used to not get that much in an entire WC game...
Also this seems a problem of game itself and seems also unsolvable.
Finally, should I even do this or would it be a better idea to just play freelancer or elite or some other spiritual successor? It is already clear to me that this game isn't as good as the original, but is it good enough to justify going through all this trouble? I am very tempted to stop playing this (or at least stop after I get to a part with Christopher Walken, can't wait to see him in this lol) and just fire up the DLC for the original instead (which I also haven't finished)
Since Privateer 2 was my first "Wing commander" title and one of the first space-sim games i layed my hands on, i play from a highly nostalgic viewpoint, so i tend to forgive almost anything ;)

The apeal of the game is the 90s atmosphere and FMV with their great casting. Also i think the design is awesome.

Try to fiddle around with the sound setting in the dosbox_privateer2.conf.
I don't know about the savegames but i doubt there's a solution to that.

Also this seems a problem of game itself and seems also unsolvable.

Since Privateer 2 was my first "Wing commander" title and one of the first space-sim games i layed my hands on, i play from a highly nostalgic viewpoint, so i tend to forgive almost anything ;)

The apeal of the game is the 90s atmosphere and FMV with their great casting. Also i think the design is awesome.

I totally get that - but there does seem to be some real steps back in terms of design: enemy ship spam and enemies scaling are two of the main ones --- not to mention the FMV stuff looks kinda insane lol (what is that lady doing on her back!)... Have you tried the original? It seems significantly better IMHO. I just started on the DLC and it is as good as I remember it.

Privateer 2 does something different, I can understand if its not to your taste as it is very different from the rest of the series.

I don't think its a fair to compare P2 to privateer or RF, there is a lot less ship diversity, its 2.5D whereas P2 is pure 3D, privateer has animations, P2 went the FMV route from a technical point, there is a lot more going on in P2.

The pirate spam is a quirk of how the game seems to generate encounters, two pirates and a shuttle spawn in, you take out the pirates, but whilst you are working on the shuttle so you can jump away, a further two pirates jump in, so you get done with the shuttle, start work on the new two.......and another shuttle spawns in. It is very possible to get trapped, ground down and dusted in short order, which is an unresolved problem

I appreciate both games, but for different reasons, P1 and RF is a tighter experience, P2 seems looser, free-r but is more quirky.

Have you got the credits to pay the toll on the jump gate? It might be you have to pay x2 if you have a transport as well.
Money wouldn't be the issue, I had 3500+ credits. I remember using shortcuts with the jumpgates but don't recall of using it with the cargo ships.
I totally get that - but there does seem to be some real steps back in terms of design: enemy ship spam and enemies scaling are two of the main ones --- not to mention the FMV stuff looks kinda insane lol (what is that lady doing on her back!)... Have you tried the original? It seems significantly better IMHO. I just started on the DLC and it is as good as I remember it.
Meant the artistic design not the game design. The aesthetics were great and i love the ship designs. Some planets are really far out with the visuals.

I'm sure P1 ist the better or more rounded experience. I've played it only a few hours long ago. While I don't expect it to be formal succesor, found it kind mundane.
I might give it another try.

Like Oggy I don't think those two game really comparable.

If you are fed up with the game, I totally understand that but I think the FMV were hilarious. Especially when you get the side mission on Bex ;)

P2 was a really obscure and flawed gem. Had good ideas and a great potential but I suspect some executive meddling in the production phase. Sadly it's not moddable I would really love to see a fan made remaster of the game.

Money wouldn't be the issue, I had 3500+ credits. I remember using shortcuts with the jumpgates but don't recall of using it with the cargo ships.
OK, I had a quick trial run for you, now that I am playing P2 and P1 in parallel lol. No issues with using the jump gates with a transport in tow, it didn't cost any extra, still a 200cr toll, and the transport (Llia MkII) came through with me fine

Last edited:
OK, I had a quick trial run for you, now that I am playing P2 and P1 in parallel lol. No issues with using the jump gates with a transport in tow, it didn't cost any extra, still a 200cr toll, and the transport (Llia MkII) came through with me fine
Ok, thanks. Had to recreate that. Maybe I'm to early in the game 🤔

Ok, thanks. Had to recreate that. Maybe I'm to early in the game 🤔
I think you have to at least visit Crius and speak to Dr loomis before you get 'let of the leash' so to speak. When I tried it, I had got as far as threatening Hal Taffin. If not that, maybe a one off glitch?
All the old trade runs are coming back to me
💰💰💰

Back