Remake of the music of the Privateer

Pas-2

Spaceman
I made quickly this "orchestration" of one Privateer's background music. I was wondering if you would like to replace the original MIDI themes with more... modern mp3's or ogg's? I could remake the rest of the songs ...

Theme Remake

It's still a quick sketch, I *can* do a lot better with more time, this one took few hours. Still lacks the power of real orchestra, some of what can be done with hard work and huge load of more string samples =) Some of the songs need more work than others.

Email me if you're interested, I'll also check the forum from time to time.

DJ Pas-2

Sounds amazing.

Might want to lower the amplitude of that background thing that starts up in the beginning and plays for a little while...it sorta overshadows the original music.

But wow, this sounds amazing.

Okay, now I think you can send me email =) I thought you could send me email by default.

And here's another remake, this took more time and some thinking. I decided not to use any drum sounds the composer had in the original because they sounded kinda goofy... got to check if I could do something cooler instead.

Theme for Refinery Base

I would actually prefer .ogg files but I thought some people can't or don't want to play ogg's at all.

not a fan of the refinery base one myself. partial to the original.

the new constantinople one is pretty great.

and i can't play oggs it seems.

Brad Mick

Wow, those really are beautiful. It reminds me of Neno Vugrinec's audio tracks in U8: Pagan that were re-mastered for the Origin Soundtrack series.

Just a little more tinkering with the last two tracks would make this indistinguishable from some of the game soundtracks I consider the best. Great work!

The only constructive comments I can offer is that Origin really focussed on wind instruments back in the day (think WC2, WC3, WC4), and if you want that 'old school' sound out of the remastered tracks you might consider changing a few instruments back to trumpets, trombones, etc.

meh, no worries. i played trombone for about 4 years through high school, i take my Brass instruments pretty seriously.

Like Brad mentioned, the first track posted is not the intro, bu rather the New Constantinople music. If anyone was thinking it didn't sound much ilke the one we were supposed to compare it to on the wcnews.com front page, that'd be why ;)

It's been ages since I played my trombone :( Wonder if I even could..

i picked mine up a a few months ago for the first time in a year and a half...i played like, the Bb scale, and about died. decided i'd be cool and play the higher octave F's and G's and all that....bad idea, nearly blew my lip apart.

Yup, sorry, bad naming with the files. The first one is the New Constantinople music.

There seems to be a problem with the game engine. The songs sound a lot slower and somehow filtered when you test them in the game. I tried to change the sampling rate, no help. Seems that the original files are at quite random sampling rates anyway.

Yeah, and I noticed what was missing with the Launch theme =) You can't hear most of the nice bell sounds in the beginning of the song. Easily fixed tho..

the game uses soundserver.exe to run sounds
you can test it out of the game

soundserver.exe
then do start|run
telnet localhost 4364
p/path/to/ogg
v10

Very nice music, Pas-2 - as a side note, for those that use Winamp to listen to music, Winamp (at least 5, and as I recall, earlier versions) do support ogg as well.

Trombone, BradMick? I played trumped in grade school and high school - I understand the importance of brass.

Honestly, I'd rate music as more important than graphics - most graphics are just things to kill.

I agree with Brad, the Refinery song is somewhat lacking in the "privateer" spirit. That background thumping noise or whatchamacallit is annoying. The New Constantinople song is excellent though.

Good stuff! The launch music has a few issues though.
-The string part at the beginning sounds like it's up an octave or two from the original...
-Timpani sounds too dry; maybe put a bit of reverb on it.
-Overall, important parts from the original aren't loud enough sometimes (the horns at your 0:29)
-There are some parts absent (the building brass triplets at 1:05, 1:09, etc), and the place that part is in (1:17), there is no crescendo, or harrmony part.
-The tempo you have is too slow! You've got about an extra 20 seconds on the original. That's an important consideration when talking about game music.

Brass instruments are definitely wind instruments. They are not woodwinds, but they are winds.

What you've done with the refinery theme is very interesting: In my ears at least, it's no doubt Privateer music, but with Blade Runner and Diablo flavors. Very interesting!

Brass instruments are definitely wind instruments. They are not woodwinds, but they are winds.
I was about to say that.

Back