reasonable predictions for a new WC game

Yeah I see what you're saying. I just felt it got kind of silly that you pressed A and then knew you'd probably be in a fight a second after the anim/transition.

Maybe a halfway house between classic WC style missions and FS missions would work better.

why is it silly to you for your autopilot to shut down when there are hostiles nearby?

I've played games both ways, man do I prefer the autopilot segway for getting to the action.

Of course it's not silly for an auto pilot to cut out if there are hostiles nearby.
What I am saying is that I feel there is way more tension and atmosphere when you're cruising along and are suddenly attacked, then by pressing 'A' and knowing that you'll probably be in a dogfight after the autopilot cutscene.

Tension and atmosphere is all good and well, but I'm here to dogfight, not to go at 100kps and wait forever. The only "tension" would be wondering whether the enemies would appear while I went to go get my snacks.

Of course it's not silly for an auto pilot to cut out if there are hostiles nearby.
What I am saying is that I feel there is way more tension and atmosphere when you're cruising along and are suddenly attacked, then by pressing 'A' and knowing that you'll probably be in a dogfight after the autopilot cutscene.

I believe the same thing does happen in WC. When you auto, it doesn't always take you straight to the next nav point, more often than not, the game drops you back in the seat between points (so you are suddenly attacked), however auto does diminish some of the "tension" you are seeking.

I personally don't think it adds that much to the atmosphere. Look at Standoff's Sim Mission 3 (The Q Ship), it's very similar to what you are talking about. You have to stay close to your transport while waiting to be jumped by enemy forces. It can get trying, waiting for the Talons to burst from their cover, but at the same token, it's also very tedious to sit there and wait for it to happen.

Back