Questions about WCM

The Shadow

Spaceman
i dunno if these questions have been asked before but i just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about the 2 questions i have about the WCM.

i was watching WCM last night and wondered why paladin was allowed to fly a broadsword when at that point in the movie everyone thought that he was only a civilian scout? was the claw so desperate for pilots that they used a civilian in one of their very deadly (and probably expensive) bombers?

secondly... scylla was in the sol system! does anyone here know what the effects of a gravity well in our system would be? i dont know anything about astrophysics but if one cubic inch of it exerted more gravitational pull than the sun then why didnt it greatly alter the rotations of the planets or even suck them into it?

i am not bagging the movie, i love it, but are these just simple mistakes made by the writer or is there an explanation for them?

The Confed Handbook says Scylla is pretty weird, it's gravitational field doesn't extend any more than 30000km for a reason I can't recall and am too lazy to look up but I'm sure LOAF will tell you. :D
No one apparently knows how or why that could happen in nature, there is even some conjecture that it could be artificial.
There is also some theory that Scylla is responsible for Pluto's weird orbit.

i was watching WCM last night and wondered why paladin was allowed to fly a broadsword when at that point in the movie everyone thought that he was only a civilian scout? was the claw so desperate for pilots that they used a civilian in one of their very deadly (and probably expensive) bombers?

I believe they mention that it's because he's scouted the area before (he'd made the pulsar jump).

Further, Sansky *probably* knew who Paladin actually was...

secondly... scylla was in the sol system! does anyone here know what the effects of a gravity well in our system would be? i dont know anything about astrophysics but if one cubic inch of it exerted more gravitational pull than the sun then why didnt it greatly alter the rotations of the planets or even suck them into it?

According to the Confed Handbook, Scylla is an artificial anomaly which produces both gravitons and antigravitons. This creates an antigraviton sheathe around it, making it undetectable until you're within the effects of its gravity well. Anyway, the key is apparently artificial: it was made by some other civilization (presumably the Steltek, who once inhabited Sol System) and creates the largest known jump point.

I saw on imdb.com that Mark Hamill is uncredited as the voice of Merlin in the WC movie. I looked hard for this Merlin and I can't find it. Can someone tell me at what part of the movie you hear it?

Well....

I saw on imdb.com that Mark Hamill is uncredited as the voice of Merlin in the WC movie. I looked hard for this Merlin and I can't find it. Can someone tell me at what part of the movie you hear it?

Hrm...I believe that Merlin was the onboard flight computer in a Rapier fighter.

By the way...Mark Hamill is doing a voice-over in the sequel to Soldier of Fortune as "Assistant Director Wilson"

It should also be noted the of the particles emitted by Scylla originate in another universe. How this realates to the anomalies artificial nature is the subject of debate.

Back