Question about something Spirit said...

SpaceDrake

Rear Admiral
Quick question guys: can anyone remember the Japanese phrasing of "I will meet you at Heaven's Gate"? I don't have WC2 anymore, and I don't... :(

Thought she said "I will wait for you at Heaven's Gate" since it was the Heaven's Gate system, but whatever works. :p Thanks LOAF.

Bandit LOAF said:
"Tengoku de omachishi te imasu", translated by Blair as "I will wait for you in heaven."

This thread reminds me how much Spirit's death got to me when I first played WC2. I think Spirit's death is the number one for me, as far as evoking emotions goes.

Hehe, nope, heaven like the place for dead people, not the Heaven's Gate system. Checked the WC2 script (G)

What was ironic is that, a few years later, there was that ghastly heaven's gate cult, and everyone died. Freaky, huh?

I don't think that fits any definition of ironic that I've heard before.

And now, the HaleBopp Blues:

originally performed by Clutch

Dinosaurs, dinosaurs
Ain't around anymore
Big ol' stone, big ol' stone
Made the sky full of smoke
These are the things I saw
When I stared into the crystal ball

Tyrannosaurs, tyrannosaurs
They came crashing down and moaned aloud

Hale-Bopp go back where you come from
I don't, I don't
I don't wanna die

Hale-Bopp, Hale-Bopp, go back on home
Hale-Bopp, I don't
I don't wanna die

Oh my dear knocking
She took them away
On the wings of victory

King Herod, King Herod
His poor son did lay dead
Blessed star, blessed star
Put a fear in his heart

These are the things I saw
When I stared into the crystal ball

Evil man, evil man
He hatched a plan for Bethlehem

I don't, I don't
I don't wanna die

Hale-Bopp, I don't
I don't wanna die

Oh my dear knocking
She took them away
On the wings of victory

I don't, I don't
I don't wanna die

I don't, I don't
I don't wanna die

Hale-Bopp, won't you
Leave us alone

AdmiralHuang said:
Blair knew how to speak Japanese?

For all we know, languages were his hobby, though he was an Electrical Engineer by training - that might have been an elective course.

I was under the impression that Spirit was Chinese . . and that the saying was in Chinese . . . Plus, a friend of mine who speaks Japanese (but not Chinese) didn't recognize it.

Then again, I haven't looked at the WC1 manual (or, even the Claw Marks) since that Something Like Trivia question about All The Sectors Weapons, so it's entirely possibly that I'm just a ninny.

overmortal said:
I was under the impression that Spirit was Chinese . . and that the saying was in Chinese . . . Plus, a friend of mine who speaks Japanese (but not Chinese) didn't recognize it.

You were under the wrong impression. :) Spirit was from Japan and was speaking Japanese.

To be honest, I have the WCSNES booklet, the Claw Marks that came with the diskette dos version of wc1, and the 3-in-1 instruction book that came with WCKS which contains the material yet again. I'm just too lazy to read it more than once in a blue moon (and, even then, only because I'm reading something before bed in an attempt to fall asleep more quickly)

overmortal said:
To be honest, I have the WCSNES booklet, the Claw Marks that came with the diskette dos version of wc1, and the 3-in-1 instruction book that came with WCKS which contains the material yet again. I'm just too lazy to read it more than once in a blue moon (and, even then, only because I'm reading something before bed in an attempt to fall asleep more quickly)

The WC:SNES book says that Spirit is from Japan, Kilrathi Saga says she's from Hokkaido, and the name 'Tanaka' is definitely not Chinese in origin. Plus her greeting before Enyo 2 in the bar is 'Konnichi-wa, Blair-san.' That definitely ain't Chinese. :D

Well, you'll remember for next time.

Yeah . . I dunno what I was thinking. Oh well. BTW (on a different note, and off-subject, but I'm terribly excited), I got my new computer running! Score-so-score.

Anyway, yah, she's Japanese. My bad.

AdmiralHuang said:
Maybe Blair was an otaku back in the day...
Way to use a word wrong :D Otaku means being a loser, a bigtime horrible scum of all scum loser. Animerican fanboys being idiots is what lead to it being used the way it is by uninformed twits.
However, he may have managed to pick up some Japanese after becoming friends with a Japanese pilot. :D

Back