Prophecy problems

Azkabyn

Spaceman
I need help getting Prophecy to run on my computer!
I can't even install correctly at the moment,
someone help please!!!!

I'm running a gateway with win xp
I can't even get the game installed right now.
I get close to the end, then i get an error message that there was a problem with LAUNCHER.EXE

I'm trying to run Prophecy.

I'm on a Gateway 300SE running Win XP Home Ed.
1.8 GHz processor
128 mb sdram
40x cdrw
3d card and sound card - factory - I think they're both just software on the Motherboard.

Please, anybody, I really want to run this game. Origin tech support has left me for dead.
Thanx.

I've gotten the game to run.
The movies don't skip, the gameplay is fine.
However, I get none of the accelerated effects.
Is there a way to get them?
From the launcher, if I try to change video card, I get an error message. I got the same message when I installed the game. I think the game can't find my video settings in XP.
Any ideas anybody?

Well, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with enabling accelerated effects, but are you running the game in one of XP's compatibility modes?

I am running Prophecy through the desktop icon in compatibility mode for WIN95, I also run dxdiag and turn all sound card acceleration off to correctly play the movies.

That's how I play the game.

I had the weird LAUNCHER.EXE error message when I installed the game in regular XP. I get the same message when I try and switch the video card from the launcher program. When I run the game, I'm using the compatibility mode, I wasn't using any method like that when I installed the game.
I think the problem is when the game is installed the game doesn't recognize XP and also doesn't recognize the video card either.

Any thoughts on how to fool the game into thinking I'm installing in WIN95?

Lets get back to that 3D effect issue.

Just to verify: So you don't get any 3d effects? Not even colored lightning?

If so you are obviously running in software mode. Now this can usually be changed in the launcher. Does that one still crash even with compatibility enabled when trying to select the vidmode?

Question to all: Does XP still run DOS batch (".BAT") files?

No. I don't get Textured Space, Lens Flare, Fog, Coloured Light, or Translucency.

I can't change it. When I install the game, I install in Xp mode and I get a launcher.exe error message. If I bring up the launcher after installation and try to change video settings I get the same message.
I ran a shortcut for the launcher and ran it in WIN95 compatability mode, but I still get the same launchere.exe error message.

I also ran a shortcut to the laucher, then tried to install from there, but I still had problems installing, and still couldn't change video settings.

Azkabyn: Mail me at
karl (at) frank (dot) name

I might have a fix, but that requires files to be sent that I cannot do via the board.

Carrier is destroyed upon launch

I start the mission that follows the destruction of the second big plasma ship. How could it be destroyed if I destroyed that thing in my previous mission?

Any help would be appreciated.

Go into the simulator and play the sixth or seventh simulator mission for a few seconds, then quit and try your mission again. This should effectively reset the Midway's status.

I still have problems with the mission 26. I destroyed all fighters and the big plasma ship in mission 25. There is no "mission failed" but "carrier lost" message at the beginning of the mission.

I tried the FAQ thing:
Q: In Wing Commander Prophecy, I get 'mission failed' immediately after launching.
A: Play simulator mission 6 or 7 for a few seconds (you don't have to finish them) and try again. If there's no change, delete the file autosave.wsg in your Prophecy directory.

...but it doesn't work. Neither 6 or 7 mission nor the deletion of the file.

Please, help...
Whom should I email my saved game?

Back