Prophecy Movie Upgrade (1/3) (September 30, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
We hope you enjoyed the high resolution Wing Commander Prophecy intro posted several days ago... because there's more where that came from! Today we are pleased to announce that the first of three downloadable movie packs, which will collectively include all of the game's cutscenes in full resolution quality video, is available! You can enjoy the Prophecy cinematics like never before. Download the set here (1.6 GB). The archive includes 43 cinematics in .VOB format. Relive Dallas' funeral, the destruction of Eloy, Casey's promotion to the Black Widow Squadron and... the 'hundred percent speech'!

--
Original update published on September 30, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, and we will eventually be able to use these in the actual games? With these and the multiplayer pack it seems like you guys are in the process of doing to WC:p what the SCP did to FS2!

great work CIC, thanks a lot for this. this can certainly spark a few projects. immagine a WCP where we can play with these videos, have gameplay at full rez with 3dfx emmulation and have multiplayer as well..........criss roberts would be proud.

Thanks for sharing this with the community, Loaf. :D

I'm not able to download it at the moment, but are you providing the original VOB's from the Prophecy DVD or have they been "transcoded" (re-encoded using a reduced bitrate) using a programme like DVDShrink to reduce the filesize?

Out of interest, is the Prophecy DVD a double-sided, single-layer disc (like the WC4 DVD version that came with the Creative DVD drive packs) or is it a single-sided, dual-layer disc (DVD-9) like most current DVD film and television releases?

Cheers,

Bryn

hurleybird said:
With these and the multiplayer pack it seems like you guys are in the process of doing to WC:p what the SCP did to FS2!

Actually, LOAF is doing way, way better than SCP ever thought it could

Anybody else notice that the sound cuts out at the end of talking with Finley: its VOB 980. I don't it is due to a messed up download as the zip would be corrupted. Anyway, just wondering if anybody else had this.

Woot!

Woot finally i can se the movies!, for some strange reason my WCP is "fast forwarding" thrue all movieclips in the game, finally i can see them. Looking forward for the next two chapters

@ChrisReid

I ow you one mate... time to go thrue the game... again

That's really awesome, the quality seems to be far better than in the game :))

....but....is it possible to make smaller packages available for download? 1.6 GB is quite a lot...

Death Angel said:
That's really awesome, the quality seems to be far better than in the game :))

....but....is it possible to make smaller packages available for download? 1.6 GB is quite a lot...

I'm going to assume that, should HCl for example have made a patch, you'll need these VOBs to play the game using these highres videos. It would probably be a lot more work should they have been divx or something.. Partly because of the conversion process. I'm assuming the CIC crew want to keep these as close to the source as possible.

I'm not sure he's talking about DivXing them, just having more, smaller batches. We may put up individual files, but there's 135 of them. 1.6GB is probably fine if you're on broadband. Either way, you should use a download manager like http://www.getright.com for something this big.

I don't know in how far DivXing can be automated. For a good quality encode it's probably still largely a manual process, and I don't want to go through it 135 times.

KrisV said:
I'm not sure he's talking about DivXing them, just having more, smaller batches. We may put up individual files, but there's 135 of them. 1.6GB is probably fine if you're on broadband. Either way, you should use a download manager like http://www.getright.com for something this big.

I don't know in how far DivXing can be automated. For a good quality encode it's probably still largely a manual process, and I don't want to go through it 135 times.

That's what I meant - more smaller batches - it would be a shame to reduce quality.

And you're right - a download manager is a good idea for this filesize.

The idea was just to get something to see within a reasonable download time.

Doh!
For me, the movies play okay, but whenever I open the file with WMP or DivX, it says multiple times-"This program requires the file advrcntr2.dll, which was not found on this system".
I then click ok, ok again, then again and again, until it goes away and the movie plays.
Any advice?

Use Media Player Classic

maniac89 said:
Doh!
For me, the movies play okay, but whenever I open the file with WMP or DivX, it says multiple times-"This program requires the file advrcntr2.dll, which was not found on this system".
I then click ok, ok again, then again and again, until it goes away and the movie plays.
Any advice?

For me opening the .VOB files using Media Player Classic (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/) worked fine. The codecs are already in the package so it works "out of the box"

Back