Prophecy GBA analysis

Ijuin

Admiral
I got my copy of Prophecy GBA :D and thought I would voice my impressions of it.

Graphics:

Pro: 3D imaging, with a smoothness that is surprising for the GBA. This totally blows any SNES games out of the water.

Con: None! Nothing that I could see fell below my expectations for a GBA port of WCP.

Sound:

Pro: They included speech clips and most of the music from WCP.

Con: In some of the music, the "background beat" was loud enough to drown out the foreground melody.

Combat:

Pro: Flying was quite smooth, and the controls simple and instinctive to use.

Con: Many of the secondary elements of flight that had been introduced in WC3/4/P have been removed, either in the interest of keeping the controls simple, or in the interest of reducing processing demands. Omitted features include:

1) Adjustable power allocation--you can not choose do divert more power to shields/engines/guns.

2) Adjustable shield allocation--you can not choose to shift power between fore and aft shields.

3) Autosliding

4) Separately destroyable capship turrets--you can no longer protect your wing by shooting off the enemy ship's turrets.

5) Separately simulated armor quadrants--instead of having separate armor for all four quadrants surrounding the ship's core, you now simply have more core hit points--the added hit points seems to be about equal to half the sum of what the four armor quadrants were in WCP.

6) No full guns--you can only fire one type of energy weapon at a time, not all guns at once. Fortunately, this is somewhat mitigated by the individual guns being made slightly stronger and more individualized--for example, the Tigershark's lasers are now powerful enough to kill a Moray on their own, while its Mass Drivers pack a noticeably heavier punch but at a much shorter range.

The first three of these are just minor issues, but I think that the latter three have a definite impact on combat style. Having no armor quadrants means you will no longer care about protecting a damaged side of your ship, and the inability to kill turrets will make protecting the bombers and torpedoes in your wing much more difficult.

Does the single player campaign contain all the missions from the original? Or has it been cut down a little?

Back